catcher.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

ChitownBucco

catcher.

Post by ChitownBucco »

Chris Stewart being sent to AAA was never an option unless he would pass waivers, which he wouldn't or was on a DL rehab assignment
dogknot17@yahoo.co

catcher.

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Diaz was depth.

No one predicted Cervelli, Stewart, and Diaz to all get hurt.

Catcher is a position where you can always find someone to play defense. All the good hitting catchers are already on teams. In a short period of time, just need someone who knows how to put on the equipment and block balls. Those guys are around (the Pirates found two of them).
ChitownBucco

catcher.

Post by ChitownBucco »

Good too see a legit prospect in Jin-De Jhang got promoted to AAA

Cervelli wn 2-4 in his first rehab assignment game with Indy last night

Elias Diaz hit a HR in his rehab assignment game recently as well
rucker59@gmail.com

catcher.

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Remember early in the season when a number of posters were saying there was no need for the Pirates to resign Cervelli?

We don't seem to appreciate the critical importance of a top shelf catcher until we suddenly don't have one, which was most of the time until Russ came on board. Neil has done a good job overcoming the injuries. But he was oh-so-close to the biggest mistake of his tenure in letting Cervelli walk, until Diaz's injury.
NCBuccofan

catcher.

Post by NCBuccofan »

153E3F223921381423353539560 wrote: Chris Stewart being sent to AAA was never an option unless he would pass waivers, which he wouldn't or was on a DL rehab assignment

Well, he would pass waivers, no team would claim him. The real reason it would not happen is because he would refuse the assignment and become a FA.
NCBuccofan

catcher.

Post by NCBuccofan »

2621373F3126616D143339353D387A373B39540 wrote: Remember early in the season when a number of posters were saying there was no need for the Pirates to resign Cervelli?

We don't seem to appreciate the critical importance of a top shelf catcher until we suddenly don't have one, which was most of the time until Russ came on board. Neil has done a good job overcoming the injuries.  But he was oh-so-close to the biggest mistake of his tenure in letting Cervelli walk, until Diaz's injury.

People were fine with Cervelli leaving and Diaz/Stewart taking over until Cervelli was resigned. They changed their tune once Neal gave them a reason to.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

catcher.

707761696770373B42656F636B6E2C616D6F020 wrote: Remember early in the season when a number of posters were saying there was no need for the Pirates to resign Cervelli?

We don't seem to appreciate the critical importance of a top shelf catcher until we suddenly don't have one, which was most of the time until Russ came on board. Neil has done a good job overcoming the injuries.  But he was oh-so-close to the biggest mistake of his tenure in letting Cervelli walk, until Diaz's injury.

I am one that appreciates a good catcher now because of Russell Martin. He changed the team big time. Controlling the base running and providing a bat. I always preferred a Hitting Catcher over defense. The Catcher still needs to hit somewhat, but Martin was a huge free agent signing. Martin hit enough. Cervelli isn't that far behind Martin in my opinion.
NCBuccofan

catcher.

Post by NCBuccofan »

676C64686D6C773234437A626B6C6C2D606C030 wrote: Remember early in the season when a number of posters were saying there was no need for the Pirates to resign Cervelli?

I am one that appreciates a good catcher now because of Russell Martin.  He changed the team big time.  Controlling the base running and providing a bat.  I always preferred a Hitting Catcher over defense.  The Catcher still needs to hit somewhat, but Martin was a huge free agent signing.  Martin hit enough.  Cervelli isn't that far behind Martin in my opinion.

Huge FA signing for the Pirates? Do you mean money wise or how he turned out?

Catchers should be good on defense first unless they are elite bats like Piazza. Otherwise they are hurting you more than helping you.

The only position where a guy can play terrible defense and not hurt you is DH. Pedro proved that it is possible to be so bad at first to negate average offense.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

catcher.

Yes, Martin was a huge signing. They wouldn't have made the playoffs without him. He made a huge difference.

In my life time, Jason Kendall was the best overall catcher the Pirates ever had (he still might be the best Pirate catcher, but he was all bat). They had many defensive catchers but they couldn't hit a lick (Tom Prince is one of the best defensive catchers I ever saw, but couldn't hit.) If you don't hit, you don't play. No matter how good you are on defense. That goes for Catchers too.

Back to Martin, I never saw a Pirates Catcher improve a team so much. Kendall was a .300 hitter, but he didn't make an impact like Martin. Cervelli is a little below Martin, but very good too. It is a big difference. It got me to appreciate the impact Martin made and what Cervelli is making.
dmetz

catcher.

Post by dmetz »

Cervelli isn't in the same league as Martin, to me. He had a great year offensively last year(his first with regular playing time) and was doing absolutely nothing this year. A sub .300 slugging percentage.

So even if it were argued that the offense was different but comparable, cervelli isn't anywhere near the defender Martin is. Average defender vs elite defender.

Not much of a comparison to me