We need to sell.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Quail

We need to sell.

Post by Quail »

76535050456E535B594E3C0 wrote: You want to blow up the starting pitching staff...I get it. You want to blow up the bullpen...I get it. You want to trade Cutch....I get it.

However if there is one thing that has been the strength of the Pirates this year, it has been the bench. Why is it assumed that Joyce and Freese are gone after this year. These 2 have certainly proven their worth and in my opinion are deserving of being offered multi year contracts. You need these high character, flexible, high performance utility players to be strong. We blew it with Happ last year lets not let these players walk as well.

I like Joyce and Freese as much as anyone, but the Pirates FO has been consistently opposed to paying market value for players. As much as I think it would be smart to keep one or both around I don't think the Pirates will match what other teams will offer either of these guys after the rebound seasons they're both having.
Wrathchild

We need to sell.

Post by Wrathchild »

The bigger issue seems to be why Joyce and Freese would want to stay. They can probably get starting opportunities with starter money someplace else. The Pirates can't do that regardless of whether they want to pay market value for players.
ChitownBucco

We need to sell.

Post by ChitownBucco »

1924233924234D0 wrote: Get what we can from Shark and other.  5-5 since the All star break ain't making it.

We've got way to many holes to compete this season.

I would disagree about too many holes.

The entire starting offense and most of the bench has positive WAR numbers. We are very well rounded. The bullpen is above avg, they may need to add a piece there.

The holes are in the rotation. It's not beyond impossible that adding one solid starter can really help. Then it's just a matter of our top 2 pitchers doing what they are supposed to. And our rookie pitchers that are really ready out of that large pool the Bucs have, to be determined.

We can't let the past wild card failings make us think that is death penalty.

You get into the playoffs and you are hot.... You can win, period

dogknot17@yahoo.co

We need to sell.

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

We just won big. McCutchen and Kang showed up.

Time to BUY!
SteadyFreddy

We need to sell.

Post by SteadyFreddy »

7952534E554D54784F5959553A0 wrote: Get what we can from Shark and other.  5-5 since the All star break ain't making it.

We've got way to many holes to compete this season.

I would disagree about too many holes.

The entire starting offense and most of the bench has positive WAR numbers. We are very well rounded. The bullpen is above avg, they may need to add a piece there.

The holes are in the rotation. It's not beyond impossible that adding one solid starter can really help. Then it's just a matter of our top 2 pitchers doing what they are supposed to. And our rookie pitchers that are really ready out of that large pool the Bucs have, to be determined.

We can't let the past wild card failings make us think that is death penalty.

You get into the playoffs and you are hot.... You can win, period

I agree the Pirates still have a chance to get into the playoffs. You cant just say punt on the season because the record isn't as good as last season. You still have a chance to get in, and if you get in and win that wildcard game anything is possible. You have to take advantage of it and cant take anything for granted.
SammyKhalifa

We need to sell.

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I don't know if I'd do much one way or the other. How much to give up in order to sneak in as the worst team in the playoffs? Of course on the other hand, getting in is the first step to winning. I just wouldn't want to lose much to do that.

I think I'd listen on Melancon and keep a close eye on the returns for other late relievers though, to see if it's worth the tradeoff.
mouse

We need to sell.

Post by mouse »

I think the way some players manage to clear waivers in August is that their salary exceeds their perceived value. The team placing the player on waivers (when a claim has been made) can withdraw him, try to make a deal with the team claiming him, or just smile and let him go. Some of these guys make enough that the teams don't want to risk getting stuck.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

We need to sell.

The Pirates are in better shape this year unlike the past few years for Waiver players too. Not many teams will block their pick ups.
rucker59@gmail.com

We need to sell.

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Way to much pessimism. 2 1/2 games out of the WC, 4 games out from being 1st WC and most posters want to punt?

The fact the Pirates are still in this race despite just about everything going wrong is the reason to add, not subtract. This team can be VERY good if Cutch breaks the slump, Cole pitches like he did last night and one more pitcher is added to the rotation.

Add Matt Moore to Cole and Tallion and that is potentially a very good post season rotation. All we need is the chance and its there for the taking.

No way I trade anyone unless it makes this team better.

dogknot17@yahoo.co

We need to sell.

7D7A6C646A7D3A364F68626E6663216C60620F0 wrote:  

The fact the Pirates are still in this race despite just about everything going wrong is the reason to add, not subtract. 

I agree. So much has been bad yet they are still in it. Can it get worst? Very unlikely with this team.