Marlins to acquire Cashner

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Tintin

Post by Tintin »

4F444C4045445F1A1C6B524A4344440548442B0 wrote: The goal is to win a Championship.  They were in position to win one the last three years.  They are also in it this year.

People want to sell just because they can "only" make the wild card.  You really want management to do that and tell us that is their plan?

Two wild card teams made the WS in 2014.  Making it to the wild card is a step in getting to the championship.  Every team's goal is to win every single game.  That doesn't happen, but that is still the goal.

I just don't think this team is that good. There is a passion that's missing that has been present in the past. Maybe it's no AJ or Cutch being human, but I don't think we will go far even if we get to the playoffs.

I've got a huge problem with giving up Meadow's six and half seasons for 12 starts of anyone.

On the other side, if Shark can net us 6 years of a quality starter, then cut bait.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

58535B575253480D0B7C455D545353125F533C0 wrote: i guess management doesn't  think this Pirate team has any holes. hmmm : just sit back and watch what everyone else does to try to improve.
Some teams can trade prospects and fill the resulting holes via free agency. The Pirates don't spend for impact players via free agency. So they are unlikely to make a significant trade involving top prospects. Whether by necessity or choice, Pirate moves are dictated by money more than most teams. So I expect them to sit this trade deadline out.

And have done very well with this approach as not many teams (have any?) have made the playoffs three years in a row.

Don't get me wrong I love making the playoffs even as a wildcard and think it's a great accomplishment but I'm sorry I'm at a point now where I want more. I want this Pirates team to start taking some bigger steps and maybe win a playoff series and at the very least get to the NLCS. Until the Pirates I think at least make the NLCS and can win at least one playoff series I am no longer going to consider the season a major success anymore. Sorry if that might offend some people on here that's just my opinion and just how I feel.

Only two teams can make the NLCS.  Only one team can make the WS from the NL.  Making the playoffs FOUR years in a row is an accomplishment. 

I would rather go and lose than not go at all.  I get it, we all want more.  But it is still a tough task.  Making the playoffs is always a successful season.  Where were you from 1993-2012?  I don't want any of those years back and no way would the last three years compare to any of those seasons.  No comparison.

I was around from 1993-2012 and yes it was awful. But like Bobster said that doesn't mean I as a fan or anybody else for that matter should just have to settle for them making the playoffs each season and not winning. Ive stated this numerous times before that the Pirates are one of 4 teams in baseball over the last 37 years since 1979 in both the National and American league to not win a pennant and at least make it to the World Series. The other 3 are the Seattle Mariners, the Washington Nationals who were originally the Montreal Expos, and obviously the Chicago Cubs.

I'm not saying the Pirates have to make the World Series and win it every season but they better at least take some steps forward in the next 2-3 seasons. There best chance to get to the NLCS and maybe get to the World Series  I believe is from 2017-2019 when they will still have both Cutch and Cole on the roster and all the positions players signed, along with the young starting rotation. There is way too much talent on this roster, and in the Minor League's coming up the next 2-3 years for this Pirates team to not at least make one NLCS appearance. If they cant at least do that then what Huntington,Hurdle and the front office have set-up building for the last 5 years or so will be a failure in my opinion.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Well Freddy, I guess your definition of failure and mine are way different. Do you think the Braves failed in their run of playoffs appearances because they only won 1 WS?

And Tintin, no one is trading Meadows for 12 starts. That will not happen.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

28232B272223387D7B0C352D242323622F234C0 wrote: Well Freddy, I guess your definition of failure and mine are way different.  Do you think the Braves failed in their run of playoffs appearances because they only won 1 WS?

And Tintin,  no one is trading Meadows for 12 starts.  That will not happen.  No because they appeared in numerous NLCS and World Series in the 1990's and one at least one championship. The Pirates haven't even come close to doing any of that the last 3 seasons so it's a bad comparison. So you will be perfectly fine if between now and 2019 with all the young talent the Pirates have coming up in the Minors the next few seasons, and the current talent they have on the roster now if they don't at least win one playoff series and make it to the NLCS at least one time??
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Ok, just wondering about Atlanta. I know their fans soured on them as the Pirates were losing every season.

I would be fine if they made the Playoffs for seven straight years. I would want more and hope for more, but no way would I call them a failure. You used the term failure. It would not be "failure" to make the playoffs seven straight seasons.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

676C64686D6C773234437A626B6C6C2D606C030 wrote: Ok, just wondering about Atlanta.  I know their fans soured on them as the Pirates were losing every season. 

I would be fine if they made the Playoffs for seven straight years.  I would want more and hope for more, but no way would I call them a failure.  You used the term failure.  It would not be "failure" to make the playoffs seven straight seasons. Okay fair enough I guess we can agree to disagree. Maybe it wouldn't be a complete failure but it would be extremely disappointing and a huge indictment on both the players and the management team within the organization. Ask the Cincinnati Bengals fans just to use an example who haven't won a playoff game since 1991 and are 0-7 in playoff games since Marvin Lewis took over in 2003 if they think getting to playoffs and not winning is not considered a failure anymore. I doubt many of them would say they are still satisfied with that.