El Toro OPs up to .808

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

El Toro OPs up to .808

Post by Ecbucs »

1E3B3A35203C353A6760540 wrote: He's a part-time DH. I'm glad he's seeing a bit of success...but his role as a ML player is an extremely tenuous one at this point.

surprisingly, even though he has his highest ops, his ops+ is lower than all but 2 of his seasons with the Bucs.

I don't see anyone offering him a raise but he isn't a trouble maker. I could see the O's wanting him back next year. Since he can't play defense he is probably stuck on one year contracts.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

El Toro OPs up to .808

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

1134353A2F333A35686F5B0 wrote: He's a part-time DH. I'm glad he's seeing a bit of success...but his role as a ML player is an extremely tenuous one at this point.

Borderline players don't get $5 million. He might bounce around a bit on one year deals, but he will be somewhere in the majors for years to come.
CutchisaBoss

El Toro OPs up to .808

Post by CutchisaBoss »

747F777B7E7F642127506971787F7F3E737F100 wrote: How much of Pedro's improvement is due to the DH?  Seriously, a lot of people thought that was his role.  Put him back at 1st or 3rd every night and who knows.  
I think it's probably due to less pressure than he had in Pittsburgh. Of course there was the pressure of being horrible defensively. But there was probably greater pressure in being billed as a franchise player since he was drafted. He was expected to be a main cog in the Pirate offense but came nowhere near that. He was a disappointment in that he couldn't hit LH pitching, struck out too often and didn't even hit RHP for a good average. In Baltimore, he's in a power laden offense where Machado, Jones, Davis, Trumbo, Wieters and Schoop lead the offense. Alvarez usually bats 7th and only against RHP. He's almoast an afterthought in that lineup. Whatever he gives them is gravy. They've got plenty of other big bats to rely on. That might be helping him relax and focus without the pressure he felt as a Pirate.

I wouldn't go that far and say he was a disappointment, but I agree that he was tagged as that "franchise player".  He had some solid years in Pittsburgh.  He is still doing well and holding a roster spot.  I am sure he will be around a little longer too with his power potential.

1337232B2E420 wrote: Congrats to Pedro! He's where he needs to be; in the American League. He is not a National League player as his .675 fielding percentage in the 11 games he's played defense this year in Baltimore will confirm.

It is even worse than that.  His fielding is at .625 all at 3B (I thought he played some 1B in Baltimore too?).  With that said, his team is still in first place.  His bat matters more and he still plays some in the field.

Actually, Pedro has only played 3B in his 11 non DH games in Baltimore.

This was a huge miss by the FO. Pedro would have been better defensively at 1B this year with the experience and a glove that didn't have loose strings. Mean while, Jaso is OPSing 695 and only making $1.75M less than Pedro.

This was a huge mistake...Pedro is the better player than Jaso right now...what makes this even worse, we're still letting Jaso play while Josh Bell scratches his head in Indianapolis.
iabucco

El Toro OPs up to .808

Post by iabucco »

Pedro was so bad at defense at first last year that he could have improved significantly and still been awful. I like him and hope he does well but I do not ever want to see him playing defense for the Pirates again.
dmetz

El Toro OPs up to .808

Post by dmetz »

78737B777273682D2B5C657D747373327F731C0 wrote: He's a part-time DH. I'm glad he's seeing a bit of success...but his role as a ML player is an extremely tenuous one at this point.

Borderline players don't get $5 million. He might bounce around a bit on one year deals, but he will be somewhere in the majors for years to come.

Yes they do. Welcome to 2016. Back in 1999, you were correct.
mouse

El Toro OPs up to .808

Post by mouse »

He may be on one of his hot streaks again. He had two home runs last night (Friday), no strike outs. He was in the DH slot.
Bobster21

El Toro OPs up to .808

Post by Bobster21 »

4042585E482D0 wrote: He may be on one of his hot streaks again. He had two home runs last night (Friday), no strike outs. He was in the DH slot.
He has 5 HRs in his last 3 games and is on a 13 for 28 streak. Currently at .262. His career high BA is .256 in his rookie year.
dmetz

El Toro OPs up to .808

Post by dmetz »

Vast majority of his HRs are solo shots again. He has less than 40 RBI with 18 HR, a fld% below .700 this year before the O's took his glove away and he can't hit left handed pitchers.

Other than that, he's great! (This guy would be a negative WAR player in the NL, so he stinks)
dogknot17@yahoo.co

El Toro OPs up to .808

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Yeah, I would rather have a .254 ave with 4 HRs and 26 RBI (in more at bats) than all those solo shots and 40 RBIs.
Bobster21

El Toro OPs up to .808

Post by Bobster21 »

666F677678020 wrote: Vast majority of his HRs are solo shots again.  He has less than 40 RBI with 18 HR, a fld% below .700 this year before the O's took his glove away and he can't hit left handed pitchers.

Other than that, he's great! (This guy would be a negative WAR player in the NL, so he stinks)
If you watch his HR's carefully, you see that most are pitchers' mistakes right over the plate. Pitchers tend to be more careful with runners on base. Hence, the abundance of solo HRs in his career.