Huntington on Bell/Jaso on radio show...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

5671607360343C3C3D34050 wrote: It's pretty laughable how people complained all last year about Alvarez' defense and now gloss over Bell's. Personally, I value offense over defense at first as I have always. Curious about people's philosophical flip flop. Why was it relevant last year and not relevant now?

I think it is just the player. Alvarez never lived up to his hype in some people's minds. I also value offense over defense.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

69626A666362793C3A4D746C656262236E620D0 wrote: It's pretty laughable how people complained all last year about Alvarez' defense and now gloss over Bell's. Personally, I value offense over defense at first as I have always. Curious about people's philosophical flip flop. Why was it relevant last year and not relevant now?

I think it is just the player.  Alvarez never lived up to his hype in some people's minds.  I also value offense over defense.

Well it's a matter of give and take, not either/or. Last year his slightly-above-average offense didn't tip the scales for many people.
Quail

Post by Quail »

5770617261353D3D3C35040 wrote: It's pretty laughable how people complained all last year about Alvarez' defense and now gloss over Bell's. Personally, I value offense over defense at first as I have always. Curious about people's philosophical flip flop. Why was it relevant last year and not relevant now?

Perhaps because Bell hasn't yet proven to be the defensive disaster that Pedro was. Pedro was historically bad. Are you suggesting that Bell will be? Unless you really believe that Bell will be equally bad there is no philosophical conundrum.

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

3116071407535B5B5A53620 wrote: It's pretty laughable how people complained all last year about Alvarez' defense and now gloss over Bell's. Personally, I value offense over defense at first as I have always. Curious about people's philosophical flip flop. Why was it relevant last year and not relevant now?

Well, Pedro was historically bad at first. Maybe Bell would be nearly as bad but he is doing better at Indy than what Pedro did for Bucs last year. I don't see it as a flip flop at all.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Bell slam for Indy tonight.
Steve19981

Post by Steve19981 »

426465726474070 wrote: It's pretty laughable how people complained all last year about Alvarez' defense and now gloss over Bell's. Personally, I value offense over defense at first as I have always. Curious about people's philosophical flip flop. Why was it relevant last year and not relevant now?

Well, Pedro was historically bad at first.  Maybe Bell would be nearly as bad but he is doing better at Indy than what Pedro did for Bucs last year.  I don't see it as a flip flop at all. 

It's difficult for me to say historically bad when Ryan Howard was in the ball park of that bad just seven years prior.
Steve19981

Post by Steve19981 »

5B50585451504B0E087F465E575050115C503F0 wrote: It's pretty laughable how people complained all last year about Alvarez' defense and now gloss over Bell's. Personally, I value offense over defense at first as I have always. Curious about people's philosophical flip flop. Why was it relevant last year and not relevant now?

I think it is just the player. 

Ding Ding Ding
Quail

Post by Quail »

32150417045058585950610 wrote: It's pretty laughable how people complained all last year about Alvarez' defense and now gloss over Bell's. Personally, I value offense over defense at first as I have always. Curious about people's philosophical flip flop. Why was it relevant last year and not relevant now?

Well, Pedro was historically bad at first.  Maybe Bell would be nearly as bad but he is doing better at Indy than what Pedro did for Bucs last year.  I don't see it as a flip flop at all. 

It's difficult for me to say historically bad when Ryan Howard was in the ball park of that bad just seven years prior.

In 2008 (his worst defensive season) Howard had a .988 fielding percentage. He made 19 errors in 1528 chances. Last year Pedro made 23 errors in 1057 chances for a .978 fielding percentage. Not in the same "ball park" or even the same county.

Pedro was Dick Stuart historically bad. Howard was not. And that is the reason that many of us aren't concerned about Bell. No one should reasonably expect Pedro level defense from Bell or anyone else for that matter for another generation.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Bell just hit a grand slam for Indy. Man just think if this guy could actually throw or catch a ball at 1st he would be unstoppable.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

4266727A7F130 wrote: It's pretty laughable how people complained all last year about Alvarez' defense and now gloss over Bell's. Personally, I value offense over defense at first as I have always. Curious about people's philosophical flip flop. Why was it relevant last year and not relevant now?

In 2008 (his worst defensive season) Howard had a .988 fielding percentage. He made 19 errors in 1528 chances. Last year Pedro made 23 errors in 1057 chances for a .978 fielding percentage. Not in the same "ball park" or even the same county.

Pedro was Dick Stuart historically bad. Howard was not. And that is the reason that many of us aren't concerned about Bell. No one should reasonably expect Pedro level defense from Bell or anyone else for that matter for another generation.   

I had just looked this up too. There is no comparison statistically. Out of his errors I wonder how many were because he just dropped throws? The baseball reference stats page looks like he was never taken out for defense that year. 156 starts, 156 complete games.