The season's hanging by a thread, thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Quail

Post by Quail »

McCutchen goes 3 for 4, Taillon pitches a gem and we're at home playing a team that is 19 games under .500. If that recipe doesn't get you a win in a September WC race then I don't even know what we can hope for.

This should have been a lay-up, a gimme, like shooting fish in a barrel. Use whatever 'perfect setup' metaphor you want. Did we actually make 4 unforced outs on the bases in a one run ballgame against the worst fielding team in the NL? Who does that? Unfortunately a team that's not likely going anywhere.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

183538292E3F28686B5A0 wrote: Harrison's getting thrown out at 3B was a killer. After his single, the Bucs were given a gift when the pickoff throw got away. Runner on 2B and nobody out...right? Oh no. Let's give the gift back and then some. Sofield is waving him to 3B with no outs. Perez is releasing the ball as Harrison rounds 2B. He is out by several steps. The hackneyed excuse of "it took a perfect throw to get him" is offered. No it didn't. The ball arrived several steps before Harrison got there. Villar could have snagged an imperfect throw and still had time to set up for the tag. I can't stand Sofield as a 3B coach or Harrison's fool heartiness on the bases. Quite a combo. But this is mostly on Sofield. He has never shown any indication that he has the good sense to coach 3B.

As usual, the team fails to fire on all cylinders. If they get good pitching, the hitting sacks. Or visa versa. Or the coaching sucks. It's always something to prevent the team from gaining any momentum. 4 straight wins followed by 4 straight losses. Welcome to .500 baseball. 15-15 in last 30 games. This is NOT a team hard charging for a playoff spot. It was a heck of a play by Perez to throw JHay out but I'm with you Bobster both Harrison and Soefield have got to be smarter in that scenario and know the situation in the 8th inning down only 1-0 with the middle of the lineup coming up. Harrison hustles I love him for that but he is also way too reckless on the bases. He thinks he can be safe for any kind of situation and it just doesn't always work out that way. I'm with you Bobster that this team this year just doesn't have that magic they had the last 2-3 seasons. They tease you for a good week or so sometimes then they lose whatever ground they did gain the following week. It's frustrating to watch and the fact that this team is now almost 20 games behind the Cubs in early September tells me they have a ton of work to do to catch up to them and hope to compete with them to win this division the next few seasons.
PMike

Post by PMike »

5A7E6A62670B0 wrote: McCutchen goes 3 for 4, Taillon pitches a gem and we're at home playing a team that is 19 games under .500. If that recipe doesn't get you a win in a September WC race then I don't even know what we can hope for.

This should have been a lay-up, a gimme, like shooting fish in a barrel. Use whatever 'perfect setup' metaphor you want. Did we actually make 4 unforced outs on the bases in a one run ballgame against the worst fielding team in the NL? Who does that? Unfortunately a team that's not likely going anywhere.   

They certainly didn't play like the worst fielding team in the majors. Perez also made a fantastic play on Cervelli late in the game.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

This does not excuse another base running blunder, but - I truly think that the Pirates have reached a point where they don't believe they'll score from 2nd; 3rd and no outs, maybe. But 2nd and no outs feels hopeless right now. The advance was a desperate attempt to jump start this dead team.

Or maybe that's just me projecting my feelings on this team and there really is no explanation for it, a totally mindless play that defines this team..... Yeah, this is more likely.

But I know they can't score from 2nd, no way no how.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

120F2B2927420 wrote: McCutchen goes 3 for 4, Taillon pitches a gem and we're at home playing a team that is 19 games under .500. If that recipe doesn't get you a win in a September WC race then I don't even know what we can hope for.

They certainly didn't play like the worst fielding team in the majors.  Perez also made a fantastic play on Cervelli late in the game. While we are talking about Cervelli I'll mention it again about him he has been extremely disappointing this season overall not being able to stay healthy and just in general with his hitting and his fielding. I don't want to judge too quick and I'll still give him time and another year but for 3 years 39 million he better perform a hell of a lot better next season overall. You can't pay a guy the kind of contract they gave Cervelli and have him playing the way he is. It's not good enough and it needs to be a lot better next season. For him to still have no home runs for the kind of money they are paying him is inexcusable.
rucker59@gmail.com

1A0723212F4A0 wrote: McCutchen goes 3 for 4, Taillon pitches a gem and we're at home playing a team that is 19 games under .500. If that recipe doesn't get you a win in a September WC race then I don't even know what we can hope for.

They certainly didn't play like the worst fielding team in the majors.  Perez also made a fantastic play on Cervelli late in the game.

They made several really nice defensive plays.  In fact, the teams looked completely mixed up - the Brewers look like a team fighing to get into the playoffs.  The Pirates look like a disinterested collection of random and misfit players ready to get this season over with ASAP. 

This is not a lovable team.  Even Chuck in Uniontown is giving up on this lifeless bunch - no call last night...
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

494E58505E490E027B5C565A5257155854563B0 wrote: McCutchen goes 3 for 4, Taillon pitches a gem and we're at home playing a team that is 19 games under .500. If that recipe doesn't get you a win in a September WC race then I don't even know what we can hope for.

They certainly didn't play like the worst fielding team in the majors.  Perez also made a fantastic play on Cervelli late in the game.

They made several really nice defensive plays.  In fact, the teams looked completely mixed up - the Brewers look like a team fighing to get into the playoffs.  The Pirates look like a disinterested collection of random and misfit players ready to get this season over with ASAP. 

This is not a lovable team.  Even Chuck in Uniontown is giving up on this lifeless bunch - no call last night... Gotta get the next two in this series as I've been saying VA. You can't go into the Cards series losing another game to them in the standings and being 3.5 out. You gotta keep it at least 2.5 going into Monday and in order for that to happen you better win these next two with the Brewers cause the odds are the Cards aren't going to lose their last two games against the Reds.
rucker59@gmail.com

7357434B4E220 wrote:

.....and they were singing, bye bye Miss American Pie.... singing this will be the day that I die.

I think I've finally figured Don McLean out - he must be a Pirate fan.
rucker59@gmail.com

55726367627F40746362627F060 wrote: McCutchen goes 3 for 4, Taillon pitches a gem and we're at home playing a team that is 19 games under .500. If that recipe doesn't get you a win in a September WC race then I don't even know what we can hope for.

This is not a lovable team.  Even Chuck in Uniontown is giving up on this lifeless bunch - no call last night... Gotta get the next two in this series as I've been saying VA. You can't go into the Cards series losing another game to them in the standings and being 3.5 out. You gotta keep it at least 2.5 going into Monday and in order for that to happen you better win these next two with the Brewers cause the odds are the Cards aren't going to lose their last two games against the Reds.

Freddy - there is no life in this team. They've packed it in. 2 games out of the playoffs, for the past month, and they play like there's no reason to be here. They're done.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Does anybody know what's going on with Glasnow too by the way?? I can't believe he is still hurt. The reason being the Pirates need another starter to maybe pitch in the Reds series next weekend and you don't hear anything about him at all anymore. Very disappointing as well to see Glasnow start his career the way he has. I hope the kid isn't a headcase because based on the way he pitched his first two games in July it sure looks like he might be.