Game Thread vs. Phils

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

mouse

Game Thread vs. Phils

Post by mouse »

I had the sense Frazier might not be a good second baseman due to getting passed over for the starts many times since getting called up. I'm now wondering the same thing about Hanson (although he apparently is not the hitter Frazier is).
BenM

Game Thread vs. Phils

Post by BenM »

Hutchison in relief?

Please tell me that's not part of the long term plan.
SCBucco

Game Thread vs. Phils

Post by SCBucco »

0E2922014C0 wrote: Hutchison in relief?

Please tell me that's not part of the long term plan.

He isn't good enough to be a part of a long term plan to begin with. Still don't understand why he was acquired absent he is dirt cheap. The sales job of NH was like our former GM's sales job of Bobby Hill in the Ramirez deal. Sure, Hutchinson was 13-4 or 13-5 withToronto. People forget he had a 5.6+ ERA and benefited from Toronto scoring 50,000 runs per outing.
Bobster21

Game Thread vs. Phils

Post by Bobster21 »

OMG! How much more does Sofield have to do to get fired?! Unlike Little League or a softball beer league, you expect a MLB 3B coach to understand situations and coach accordingly and not go for broke on a run in the 9th trailing 6-2 when that run is meaningless unless 3 more runs also score after him.

Runners at 1B and 2B, one out, 6-2 and Joyce singles to shallow CF. Great. That loads the bases with 1 out and brings the tie run to the plate. Oh wait...There's Sofield frantically waving Rodriguez to round 3B and try to score to make it 6-3. Quinn's throw from shallow CF easily beats him. Now it's 2 outs and 2 on and still down 6-2. Any 3B coach-even Little League has to understand that's a risk you don't take in that situation. If he scores, it doesn't matter. If he's out, it kills what needs to be no less than a 4-run rally. All season, Sofield has demonstrated a lack of understanding of situational baseball. It's bad enough the players have performed so badly this year. It's embarrassing when the 3B coach doesn't seem to understand the game.
Speedloader88

Game Thread vs. Phils

Post by Speedloader88 »

But at least Hurdle will not hold him accountable because he's a nice person. Hurdle also won't get upset about the losses because he's been through so much in his life and this is just a game. Hurdle may be making his case to be an eastern spiritual guru but his act is wearing thin IMHO.
steve49

Game Thread vs. Phils

Post by steve49 »

5C717C6D6A7B6C2C2F1E0 wrote: OMG! How much more does Sofield have to do to get fired?! Unlike Little League or a softball beer league, you expect a MLB 3B coach to understand situations and coach accordingly and not go for broke on a run in the 9th trailing 6-2 when that run is meaningless unless 3 more runs also score after him. 

Runners at 1B and 2B, one out, 6-2 and Joyce singles to shallow CF. Great. That loads the bases with 1 out and brings the tie run to the plate. Oh wait...There's Sofield frantically waving Rodriguez to round 3B and try to score to make it 6-3. Quinn's throw from shallow CF easily beats him. Now it's 2 outs and 2 on and still down 6-2. Any 3B coach-even Little League has to understand that's a risk you don't take in that situation. If he scores, it doesn't matter. If he's out, it kills what needs to be no less than a 4-run rally. All season, Sofield has demonstrated a lack of understanding of situational baseball. It's bad enough the players have performed so badly this year. It's embarrassing when the 3B coach doesn't seem to understand the game. 

I coached baseball for around 15 years. I did little league 10-12 year olds for 2 years. I saw runs that didn't mean anything get thrown out a home at this level. I then coached a league with just 13 year olds. Probably at least 60% of the kids knew better and pretty much all the base coaches had this figured out. Maybe saw a couple -3 times the whole season. Next I coached 2 separate 13-16 year old teams . One Connie Mack , the other Babe Ruth. So about 180 total games that summer. Don't think I ever saw what happened tonight in Pittsburgh once. Then did 2 years of 18 year olds and down. Never saw in that league. That was followed by 6 years of 19 and up to any age limit. We played a 55 game schedule in the 19 and up. So over 300 games with the older kids. I don't think I ever had a player that didn't know this was retarded . Nor do I were remember another team pulling such a stupid boner. From experience , I can say that this kind of mistake is inexcusable for both coaches and serious baseball players after the little league (11-12)level. It's boarders the incredible. Scofield should not have left the dugout an employee of the Pirates.
SteadyFreddy

Game Thread vs. Phils

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I don't know if anybody watched the postgame or not but Greg Brown was absolutely disgusted with that play in the 9th inning and just the entire game last night in general. He called it the worst game the Pirates have played all season long and just absolutely ripped the entire team. It was great to see someone that close to the team like Brown is have the balls to do something like that.

I agree with you Bobster about firing Soefield once and for all. How many stupid moronic decisions does this guy have to make before he is replaced?? And Hurdle not getting rid of people because he is friends with them or because they are nice people is just not a good enough excuse to keep someone around.
SteadyFreddy

Game Thread vs. Phils

Post by SteadyFreddy »

092A3F3F3E36353B3E3F2862625A0 wrote: But at least Hurdle will not hold him accountable because he's a nice person.  Hurdle also won't get upset about the losses because he's been through so much in his life and this is just a game.  Hurdle may be making his case to be an eastern spiritual guru but his act is wearing thin IMHO. I don't want to get rid of Clint yet, but if more of this same inexcusable crap happens next season and this team underachieves yet again I will definitely think it's time to consider a managerial change.
Bobster21

Game Thread vs. Phils

Post by Bobster21 »

Per the Post-Gazette:

“As I’m sure [Sofield] will tell you now, there’s no sense in sending him,” manager Clint Hurdle said. “You can’t send him unless there’s no play or the ball is against the track. We’ve got two outs to play with. We’ve got the bases loaded with the tying run at the plate and Bell on deck.

“We made a bad decision there.”

But this wasn't just a bad decision. This was an illogical decision that blatantly defied every precept of baseball. When committed by the man entrusted to tell the players what to do on the bases it is a clear indicator that he simply doesn't understand the nuances of baseball. Last week trailing by 1 run in the 8th, he killed a rally by waving Harrison from first to third on an errant pickoff throw after Harrison had led off the inning with a single. Harrison was out by 10 feet and instead of having a man on 2B with no outs and down by a run, they had 1 out and no one on. They lost the game. For whatever strengths (if any) Sofield may have as a coach, he clearly is clueless about how players should run the bases and has no business coaching them at 3B. Many of the fans in the stands including some of the children could realistically be expected to be a better 3B coach than that incompetent fool.
ScottinMass

Game Thread vs. Phils

Post by ScottinMass »

Didn't he get moved to 3rd a couple seasons ago replacing Leyva who went to 1st because they thought Leyva wasn't aggressive enough?? Hum...