MLB Trade Rumors -Watson to Seattle?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

LumberCo

Post by LumberCo »

644243544252210 wrote: from MLB Trade rumors chat:

More likely to become a Mariner: Brett Cecil or Tony Watson?

Jason Martinez

4:53 I'll go with Cecil, although it does make sense for the Bucs to trade Watson. I'm starting to get the feeling that they'll be selling off some talent this offseason.

selling off talent and pushing fans away.

mouse

Post by mouse »

P2 has a nice article today on the number of pitchers starting to pile up at the AA and AAA levels. I'm guessing NH intends to lean on that surplus for the major league roster or for trades. Given the economic constraints it would make sense to "sell off" talent (that is, players established and at the point where they will become expensive) in exchange for either what they need or for good prospects in an area of need. So I could easily see Watson getting traded.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

764F57585F4879553A0 wrote: from MLB Trade rumors chat:

Jason Martinez

4:53 I'll go with Cecil, although it does make sense for the Bucs to trade Watson. I'm starting to get the feeling that they'll be selling off some talent this offseason.

Yep, I don't like this Watson rumor. If he is projected to get $5 million, that is nothing these days.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

764F57585F4879553A0 wrote: from MLB Trade rumors chat:

Jason Martinez

Maybe, but trading away overvalued relief pitchers has been a plan of many smart successful teams for years now. If he were the same exact player but NOT making money would you be in favor of making a trade? 'Cos if so that's just silly.

Now I have no idea if he is "overvalued" or not. Like everything else, how I feel about this rumor (which doesn't even look like a rumor to me just speculation) depends on the return.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I would not be in favor as I think the team needs players added, not taken away.

Watson is a top bullpen pitcher. I don't see trading him now. He is still under control. He will not be lost to free agency.

I doubt they bring in a Starter for him.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

42707C7C685A79707D787770110 wrote: from MLB Trade rumors chat:

Jason Martinez

Maybe, but trading away overvalued relief pitchers has been a plan of many smart successful teams for years now.  If he were the same exact player but NOT making money would you be in favor of making a trade?  'Cos if so that's just silly.

Now I have no idea if he is "overvalued" or not.  Like everything else, how I feel about this rumor (which doesn't even look like a rumor to me just speculation) depends on the return.

But it has to be part of an overall plan for making the team successful. Last off season there seemed to be no plan other than saving money. If they dealt Watson, got a good return (as you said), improved the rotation and bullpen, then it would be fine. But if they go with a ragtag rotation and deal Watson just to save money, it won't be a good plan.
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Mouse, What is "P2" in reference to please? I have not seen this article and would like to read it :D
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

1F323F2E29382F6F6C5D0 wrote: from MLB Trade rumors chat:

Jason Martinez

Maybe, but trading away overvalued relief pitchers has been a plan of many smart successful teams for years now.  If he were the same exact player but NOT making money would you be in favor of making a trade?  'Cos if so that's just silly.

Now I have no idea if he is "overvalued" or not.  Like everything else, how I feel about this rumor (which doesn't even look like a rumor to me just speculation) depends on the return.

But it has to be part of an overall plan for making the team successful. Last off season there seemed to be no plan other than saving money. If they dealt Watson, got a good return (as you said), improved the rotation and bullpen, then it would be fine. But if they go with a ragtag rotation and deal Watson just to save money, it won't be a good plan.

Well I'd say that the Melancon deal was a baseball trade. The Liriano . . . enough's been said about that already.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Bucs Fan, P2 refers to Pirates Prospects, as site that covers the Pirates minor league players. They generally have an article a day (and more during busy times) and provide excellent coverage. The article I was referring to is at http://www.piratesprospects.com/2016/11 ... -team.html

It is a first pitch article so I think you can read all of it. Most of their articles are for subscribers, and if you aren't a subscriber you can only see the first part of the article. The cost to join is quite reasonable and gives a wonderful source of information as the winter rolls on. Another good site, if you are not familiar with it, is bucsdugout.com. Well done articles.

Enjoy!
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

795459484F5E49090A3B0 wrote: from MLB Trade rumors chat:

Jason Martinez

So, what is deemed as a good return for Watson? He struggled as a closer, but is lights out as an eighth inning guy. We aren't getting someone who could have any impact on our roster for 2017 for him. The $5 millions savings isn't really enough to go out and find a good solution - both short term and long term. That is money that goes to more reclamation projects.

IMO, the plan we seem to be heading for is another rebuild. Cutch possibly on the market, now Watson ... Pittsburgh doesn't seem like its trying hard to keep Nova either.