What about the lineup?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Quail

What about the lineup?

Post by Quail »

6558464B444E45674F58494F4E2A0 wrote: I don't think the Pirates could have matched the Nationals offer for Sale, and they were the runner up.  The Pirates couldn't have gotten Sale.

The Pirates could have sweetened their offer with Marte or Polanco. I think that could have gotten them Sale. Whether that would have been a good deal for the Pirates is certainly debatable but they had the chips to acquire him.
OrlandoMerced

What about the lineup?

Post by OrlandoMerced »

So then you're trading Polanco, Glasnow and probably Meadows for Sale - how does that make the Pirates better?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

What about the lineup?

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Remember when Jake Arrieta was a reclamation project (and bad mouthed his former team)? What a bad strategy by the Cubs.

OrlandoMerced

What about the lineup?

Post by OrlandoMerced »

4C474F4346475C191F685149404747064B47280 wrote: Remember when Jake Arrieta was a reclamation project (and bad mouthed his former team)?  What a bad strategy by the Cubs.

That was a product of their tanking strategy, they could take Arrieta and plug him into their ML rotation and see if he's got anything.

The Pirates were busy making the playoffs in 2013 when Arrieta was pitching ~70 innings for the Cubs with a 5 ERA.
OrlandoMerced

What about the lineup?

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Arrieta's ERA was also a full run higher in 2016 following the league fixing the strike zone.

He was obviously still really good, but he'll be turning 31 this season...I for one hope the Cubs commit to him long-term.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

What about the lineup?

0A3729242B212A082037262021450 wrote: Arrieta's ERA was also a full run higher in 2016 following the league fixing the strike zone. 

He was obviously still really good, but he'll be turning 31 this season...I for one hope the Cubs commit to him long-term.

When is his steroids test? I am so convinced of this. His body transformation is unreal.
Quail

What about the lineup?

Post by Quail »

0B3628252A202B092136272120440 wrote: So then you're trading Polanco, Glasnow and probably Meadows for Sale - how does that make the Pirates better?

You don't include Meadows in that deal. Polanco and Glasnow are the talent equivalent of Moncada and Kopech. The Pirates can match or exceed the talent of Class A level prospects Basabe and Diaz easily enough with Brault +.

As for making the Pirates better, obtaining a true ace to the starting staff is unquestionably the biggest need we have. With the Bucs facing what looks to be a long spell of competing almost exclusively for a Wild Card and not a Division Championship having an ace greatly increases the chances of advancing from the play-in game to a series. No other addition offers that kind of boost.
OrlandoMerced

What about the lineup?

Post by OrlandoMerced »

7E5A4E46432F0 wrote: So then you're trading Polanco, Glasnow and probably Meadows for Sale - how does that make the Pirates better?

You don't include Meadows in that deal. Polanco and Glasnow are the talent equivalent of Moncada and Kopech. The Pirates can match or exceed the talent of Class A level prospects Basabe and Diaz easily enough with Brault +.

As for making the Pirates better, obtaining a true ace to the starting staff is unquestionably the biggest need we have. With the Bucs facing what looks to be a long spell of competing almost exclusively for a Wild Card and not a Division Championship having an ace greatly increases the chances of advancing from the play-in game to a series. No other addition offers that kind of boost.

I really doubt that the White Sox agree that Glasnow/Polanco = Moncado/Kopech. It's a subjective assessment, so I'm not saying you can't make that case, but I am saying that the White Sox wouldn't agree with your case and would have declined the offer.
rucker59@gmail.com

What about the lineup?

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

2E130D000F050E2C0413020405610 wrote: So then you're trading Polanco, Glasnow and probably Meadows for Sale - how does that make the Pirates better?

Are you talking about the organization or the major league team?

And what is the purpose of the origanization?

I'm pointing out that there is a "host the white flag" mentality rather than a "host the colors", even among hard core fans on here. The Pirates could very definitely compete with the Cubs, they could even do it with a reasonable payroll (say $130M). But it's a lot easier to say the Cubs are impossible to catch so we can't be blamed for not even trying.

Cole, Tallion, Nova (I'm being generous to us Pirate fans, it doesn't appear likely the Pirates will spring for this one contract, but we'll see) stand no realistic chance. But if the FO played winter ball the way they expect the team to play in the summer everything could be different. Sale (as an example), Cole, Tallion, then Nova/Glasnow - EVERY person on here and the entire nation would be excited beyond belief; at least it would say "we refuse to give up or make excuses".

Sorry, but I think the Pirates could win the division. Instead they'll struggle and hope and set our sight on a WC without being built to win a one game series.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

What about the lineup?

People look at pitching match ups too much in my opinion. The pitchers got to get out the other teams' hitters. They don't have to be better than their opposing pitcher.

The Pirates have rocked many top pitchers over the years. In 2016, the Pirates rocked Kershaw and won the game 11-2. The Pirates faced Arrieta six times and rocked him three of those times. The Pirates were 2-2 in games against Lester too.

I agree they need a pitcher and someone who can give them a real chance in one outing. That guy could be Cole or Taillon too.