The Bench for 2017

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

The Bench for 2017

Post by DemDog »

747879222B222A27203F25120 wrote: He could play first and Bell could dh. Better defensive first baseman with Osuna.

On paper your suggestion of Bell DHing and Osuna at 1B makes a lot of sense for the reason you gave. But I disagree with it because I wonder what kind of message you are sending to Bell when you put a kid younger and not as good as him out there like that.

Its not like Osuna hot high ceiling prospect like Bell. He is only a hot prospect now who will be used as an extra bat for a couple games.

But I would buy using Osuna as defensive replacement as Clint likes to do if the Bucs are up on the Sox later in the game.
mouse

The Bench for 2017

Post by mouse »

What do you mean by "not as good"? Are you saying Bell is a better defender than Osuna? I realize Bell is the better hitter but the idea of Bell as DH while Osuna plays first has both bats in lineup.
DemDog

The Bench for 2017

Post by DemDog »

As the official OBN "Old Fart" I am allowed to screw up and not be a clear as I meant to be. Osuna is not the hitter that Bell is and does not project to be the ballplayer Bell is and can be. The Bucs need to commit to Bell now and keep him encouraged that he has a future here. And using him as a DH while some prospect who will not be here more than a week or so might certainly be a bit discouraging.
ChitownBucco

The Bench for 2017

Post by ChitownBucco »

6864653E373E363B3C23390E0 wrote: Since the Bucs won't need a fifth stater until the Sunday game against the Braves I wonder if they bring Osuna north for the first five games and then send him down and bring up whomever is the stater who wins the fifth slot in the rotation.

can't do it

http://www.thecubreporter.com/book/export/html/3506

A player who is optioned to the minors generally must remain on Optional Assignment for at least ten days. (A player optioned to the minors during Spring Training generally must remain on Optional Assignment for the first ten days of the MLB regular season). The only exceptions are if the player is recalled as the "26th man" for a day where a doubleheader was scheduled at least 48 hours in advance (or for the second game of the doubleheader only if the doubleheader was scheduled less than 48 hours in advance), or is recalled to replace a player on the 25-man roster who is placed on an MLB inactive list (Disabled List, Bereavement List, Paternity List, Restricted List, et al), or if the player is traded.
Ecbucs

The Bench for 2017

Post by Ecbucs »

4962637E657D64487F6969650A0 wrote: Since the Bucs won't need a fifth stater until the Sunday game against the Braves I wonder if they bring Osuna north for the first five games and then send him down and bring up whomever is the stater who wins the fifth slot in the rotation.

can't do it

A player who is optioned to the minors generally must remain on Optional Assignment for at least ten days. (A player optioned to the minors during Spring Training generally must remain on Optional Assignment for the first ten days of the MLB regular season). The only exceptions are if the player is recalled as the "26th man" for a day where a doubleheader was scheduled at least 48 hours in advance (or for the second game of the doubleheader only if the doubleheader was scheduled less than 48 hours in advance), or is recalled to replace a player on the 25-man roster who is placed on an MLB inactive list (Disabled List, Bereavement List, Paternity List, Restricted List, et al), or if the player is traded.

there is a way around everything and you even mentioned it in your post. This could happen to somebody:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njXfSak9SC0
dogknot17@yahoo.co

The Bench for 2017

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

0B2A220B20284F0 wrote: As the official OBN "Old Fart" I am allowed to screw up and not be a clear as I meant to be.  Osuna is not the hitter that Bell is and does not project to be the ballplayer Bell is and can be.  The Bucs need to commit to Bell now and keep him encouraged that he has a future here.  And using him as a DH while some prospect who will not be here more than a week or so might certainly be a bit discouraging. 

I wouldn't worry about how Bell would feel just being the DH. He will play more 1B than anyone during the season.

You have to think Bell will be replaced for defensive purposes all season, right?
mouse

The Bench for 2017

Post by mouse »

"As the official OBN "Old Fart" I am allowed to screw up and not be a clear as I meant to be. Osuna is not the hitter that Bell is and does not project to be the ballplayer Bell is and can be. The Bucs need to commit to Bell now and keep him encouraged that he has a future here. And using him as a DH while some prospect who will not be here more than a week or so might certainly be a bit discouraging." [Possum]

Ah, yes. I understand. That makes sense. As an apprentice "Old Fart" myself, I was afraid I'd misunderstood Osuna's defensive abilities. I wouldn't expect him to replace Bell, and I agree that Bell should get every minute at first he can. He seems really eager to get better, and playing is the way to do that. He doesn't need anything interfering. I was thinking it would be a day of rest for him without losing his bat from the lineup.
DemDog

The Bench for 2017

Post by DemDog »

5F5D474157320 wrote: "As the official OBN "Old Fart" I am allowed to screw up and not be a clear as I meant to be.  Osuna is not the hitter that Bell is and does not project to be the ballplayer Bell is and can be.  The Bucs need to commit to Bell now and keep him encouraged that he has a future here.  And using him as a DH while some prospect who will not be here more than a week or so might certainly be a bit discouraging." [Possum]

Ah, yes. I understand. That makes sense. As an apprentice "Old Fart" myself, I was afraid I'd misunderstood Osuna's defensive abilities. I wouldn't expect him to replace Bell, and I agree that Bell should get every minute at first he can. He seems really eager to get better, and playing is the way to do that. He doesn't need anything interfering. I was thinking it would be a day of rest for him without losing his bat from the lineup.

You make a point about the rest if it was later in the season and Bell needed one. But in the first two games of the season? Don't think so. Guess us two OF's will agree to disagree. ;D
fjk090852-7

The Bench for 2017

Post by fjk090852-7 »

002B2A372C342D013620202C430 wrote: Since the Bucs won't need a fifth stater until the Sunday game against the Braves I wonder if they bring Osuna north for the first five games and then send him down and bring up whomever is the stater who wins the fifth slot in the rotation.

can't do it

If a player must remain in the minors for ten days could not a team option a pitcher to Indy on March 27th and then recall him for that start on April 8th vs the Braves ? I think that would be permissible.
fjk090852-7

The Bench for 2017

Post by fjk090852-7 »

To follow up on my previous text maybe the best way to avoid all these situations regarding player movement to and from the roster it would be in the best interest of the owners, players and fans to expand rosters to 27, but game day roster be limited to 25. This might be a better scenario than putting a player on second base in extra innings. If a team has a a rally in the eleventh inning the manager has that extra bench player to pinch hit instead of let's say Jeff Locke. If I recall back in the mid sixties teams opened up the month of April with a couple extra players on the 25 man roster. As you look at rosters today a team actually has only 22 or23 players available each game. Managers are not going to use the previous or next days starting pitcher in the game that day. I think this change would be good for the game.