Spring Training Baseball

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Spring Training Baseball

Post by Bobster21 »

7D4F43435765464F4247484F2E0 wrote:

All I heard was a quote from him saying he was happy about how his changeup and two seamer were working.  So from that I imply that he was using both of those pitches (some real deducing there on my part, haha).

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/i ... _9444.jpeg " alt="" />
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Spring Training Baseball

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Anything about Hutchison and his outing? Was he working on anything?
SammyKhalifa

Spring Training Baseball

Post by SammyKhalifa »

you gotta love spring training gameday reporting

5 by sammykhalifa, on Flickr
IABucFan

Spring Training Baseball

Post by IABucFan »

Random question of the "What if..." variety. Go back in time and say the Pirates pick Weiters over Moskos. How would the franchise look today? If we had him, we likely never sign Martin or trade for Cervelli. Personally, I still feel like Martin was the key to our 2013 turnaround. He may not have been the best player on the team, but I felt like the intangibles he brought (as well as his ability to frame pitches and throw out runners) were what inspired confidence in that team. I dare say...had we drafted Weiters, we might not have broken the losing streak or made it to the playoffs. But, that's just my take. What say you?
Bobster21

Spring Training Baseball

Post by Bobster21 »

4C4447706643646B050 wrote: Random question of the "What if..." variety.  Go back in time and say the Pirates pick Weiters over Moskos.  How would the franchise look today?  If we had him, we likely never sign Martin or trade for Cervelli.  Personally, I still feel like Martin was the key to our 2013 turnaround.  He may not have been the best player on the team, but I felt like the intangibles he brought (as well as his ability to frame pitches and throw out runners) were what inspired confidence in that team.  I dare say...had we drafted Weiters, we might not have broken the losing streak or made it to the playoffs.  But, that's just my take.  What say you?
Or maybe they would have done even better with Wieters. No way to know.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Spring Training Baseball

0D0506312702252A440 wrote: Random question of the "What if..." variety.  Go back in time and say the Pirates pick Weiters over Moskos.  How would the franchise look today?  If we had him, we likely never sign Martin or trade for Cervelli.  Personally, I still feel like Martin was the key to our 2013 turnaround.  He may not have been the best player on the team, but I felt like the intangibles he brought (as well as his ability to frame pitches and throw out runners) were what inspired confidence in that team.  I dare say...had we drafted Weiters, we might not have broken the losing streak or made it to the playoffs.  But, that's just my take.  What say you?

Interesting question. I also felt Martin was a big piece that turned around the team and helped them win (even with his (.224 average).

The Pirates could have broke the streak in 2012 if Weiters was in place. I think Weites provided more with the bat (left handed at PNC Park). Weiters also won two Gold Gloves over Martin in the AL too.

Good question, kind of equal players in my opinion. Cervelli might not be around, but Weiters would have been a Pirates in 2015 if all was the same.
IABucFan

Spring Training Baseball

Post by IABucFan »

Another interesting point, eventually I think MLB will go to having a computer call balls and strikes. The technology is already there to be able to do this. When such a change occurs, it will effectively eliminate pitch framing as a skill.
fjk090852-7

Spring Training Baseball

Post by fjk090852-7 »

It has only been four spring training games so far,but I am very surprised about our pitching. Taillon, Glasnow,Holmes, and even LaBlanc have all had good outings. It is early and I know pitchers are probably ahead of the hitters at this point, but who knows maybe we have the arms to compete with the Cubs and Cards.
OrlandoMerced

Spring Training Baseball

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Kuhl also had a nice outing.

I believe Nova is going today. But I think Glasnow's next outing is the only one that I'm really interested in.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Spring Training Baseball

4D4546716742656A040 wrote: Another interesting point, eventually I think MLB will go to having a computer call balls and strikes.  The technology is already there to be able to do this.  When such a change occurs, it will effectively eliminate pitch framing as a skill.

I really enjoyed this segment on HBO's Real Sports:

http://www.geekwire.com/2016/hbo-throws ... -computers

There are some You Tube clips of the game too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKGqkqvigWo