Trade news

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Speedloader88

Trade news

Post by Speedloader88 »

I'm going to be honest. Losing McCutchen and Fleury in the same summer is going to be tough..... :-/
johnfluharty

Trade news

Post by johnfluharty »

It will be even tougher the first time we face them in an opposing uni. 

As a kid, I was not really aware of how bad Dave Parker's reputation had become toward the end and I was not really aware of all the drug-related news.  All I knew was that my favorite Pirate was not going to be a Pirate any more.  I almost quit baseball altogether when he left- almost.  I imagine a lot of kids will feel that way about McCutchen, especially when you consider how great a guy he realty is.
BucsFaninGA

Trade news

Post by BucsFaninGA »

I agree seeing Cutch in another team's uniform is going to be tough. Still think he has something left...Wouldn't give up on him just yet, but I understand Nutting's wish to capitalize on value...Cutch hitting like he is now is much more conducive to getting another player than might help us in the future!

Just tough to always be selling of our players. Seems like that is what we are noted for the past 15+ years...

Beat'em Bucs :(
JollyRoger

Trade news

Post by JollyRoger »

I would think twice about trading Cutch. He has shown in the last month that he can still be an impact player. We don't know if Meadows will be "the Man". Polanco is a mess. What will Marte be like when he returns? I would try to extend Cutch's contract.

My focus would be to get the maximum return on Cole. We have some starting pitching depth, plus we could get additional high end pitching prospects and possibly an impact position prospect.

Need to maximize the value of Cole this year not next year. Too bad Torres blew out his elbow. Still; the Yankees or the Astros could put an attractive package together.

Docjon49

Trade news

Post by Docjon49 »

103536362308353D3F285A0 wrote: I would think twice about trading Cutch. He has shown in the last month that he can still be an impact player. We don't know if Meadows will be "the Man". Polanco is a mess. What will Marte be like when he returns? I would try to extend Cutch's contract.

My focus would be to get the maximum return on Cole. We have some starting pitching depth, plus we could get additional high end pitching prospects and possibly an impact position prospect.

Need to maximize the value of Cole this year not next year. Too bad Torres blew out his elbow. Still; the Yankees or the Astros could put an attractive package together.

You want to keep Cutch because you're worried Meadows might not work out, but you're willing to trade Cole? You NEVER have enough pitching, and certainly we don't have it now. You want to maximize Cole's value, but you're ready to ride out old man Cutch's contract and sign him for more? I don't see the logic in any of this.
JollyRoger

Trade news

Post by JollyRoger »

69424E47424319142D0 wrote: I would think twice about trading Cutch. He has shown in the last month that he can still be an impact player. We don't know if Meadows will be "the Man". Polanco is a mess. What will Marte be like when he returns? I would try to extend Cutch's contract.

You want to keep Cutch because you're worried Meadows might not work out, but you're willing to trade Cole?  You NEVER have enough pitching, and certainly we don't have it now.  You want to maximize Cole's value, but you're ready to ride out old man Cutch's contract and sign him for more?  I don't see the logic in any of this.

Cole is gone in 2 years. Nutting is not going to pay Cole market value. On the other hand I think Cutch would consider staying.

Cutch is on pace for 30+ HR's 90+ RBI's. Who is going to replace that? Nobody. We don't have any impact bats in the OF. Meadows has not shown that type of power.

I agree with you that you can never have enough pitching. However I believe we have some depth in Brault, Keller, Glasnow, Kingham, Hearns etc. Lets face it. Cole isn't lighting it up.

Not sure if he will ever have a 19 win season again. However if other teams think so, then we need to capitalize on that perceived value now

A good return on Cole may not only replace him but get the offense we need

Right now we need to fix the bullpen and the offense.
Bobster21

Trade news

Post by Bobster21 »

6C494A4A5F7449414354260 wrote:

... and the manager and the front office. :(
JollyRoger

Trade news

Post by JollyRoger »

684548595E4F58181B2A0 wrote:

... and the manager and the front office.  :(

Actually only one change is needed...... ownership!

After that the rest will fall into place.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Trade news

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Or a new investor? Does that ever happen anymore?
Quail

Trade news

Post by Quail »

6D666E6267667D383E497068616666276A66090 wrote: Or a new investor?  Does that ever happen anymore?

Typically new investors are sought to add some needed cash when a franchise is in financial difficulty. The Pirate franchise is robustly healthy with a potential return on investment for Nutting already estimated in the hundreds of millions of dollars. Nutting would be foolish to seek another investor. He doesn't need the cash and would have to part with a percentage of his windfall profit.