extend Cutch at a decent price or trade him undervalued?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Yep, the Pirates success is always based on luck.

If Meadows is ready, do you still want to sign McCutchen? I always thought McCutchen was the odd man out as Meadows time table is right in line when McCutchen becomes a free agent.

Do people not factor in Meadows? Or just deal with it when it happens?
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

272C24282D2C377274033A222B2C2C6D202C430 wrote: Yep, the Pirates success is always based on luck.

If Meadows is ready, do you still want to sign McCutchen?  I always thought McCutchen was the odd man out as Meadows time table is right in line when McCutchen becomes a free agent.

Do people not factor in Meadows?  Or just deal with it when it happens?

After the pitching situation the first half of last year, I'm done "factoring in" people before they arrive. You can't just tread water until people are ready because it might not ever happen.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

7E757D7174756E2B2D5A637B7275753479751A0 wrote: Yep, the Pirates success is always based on luck.

If Meadows is ready, do you still want to sign McCutchen?  I always thought McCutchen was the odd man out as Meadows time table is right in line when McCutchen becomes a free agent.

I think Meadows still needs to put up more solid numbers over a longer period of time before he is factored in. If he is as good as hoped for then the Bucs have a good problem on their hands
thessy

Post by thessy »

4B40484441405B1E186F564E474040014C402F0 wrote: McCutchen can also decide to stay and lower his price. He could accept the same deal he accepted years ago. He is still set up for life, very well paid.

Many Pittsburgh players have taken that route. Sidney Crosby is underpaid compared to his peers. Big Ben has restructured his contract many times. Why not McCutchen too?

I am not saying McCutchen should do that. I have no idea what he thinks he is worth. Just saying other legends in Pittsburgh have done this. McCutchen should be no different if he truly wants to stay. At least, I would hope.

Sydney Crosby and Ben play in salary cap leagues where their hometown discounts/financial flexibility allowed their teams to compete for and win championships. They play for teams that have proven that any money saved will be reinvested in the team because winning is the primary goal of their team. Andrew McCutchen does not play for a team that operates like that. If Cutch stays in Pittsburgh it's because he's playing for that statue outside PNC Park.

I would love to see him stay here for the rest of his career though. I don't follow minor league baseball very closely but if I'm reading the stat pages correctly, Meadows has spent significantly more time in the corner outfield spots this season than he has in the rest of his minor league career combined. There must at least be a chance that Pirates think they can keep Cutch - or at least they want to give the impression that they'll try to.
ScottinMass

Post by ScottinMass »

5B474A5C5C562F0 wrote: McCutchen can also decide to stay and lower his price.  He could accept the same deal he accepted years ago.  He is still set up for life, very well paid. 

Many Pittsburgh players have taken that route.  Sidney Crosby is underpaid compared to his peers.  Big Ben has restructured his contract many times.  Why not McCutchen too?

I am not saying McCutchen should do that.  I have no idea what he thinks he is worth.  Just saying other legends in Pittsburgh have done this.  McCutchen should be no different if he truly wants to stay.  At least, I would hope. 

Sydney Crosby and Ben play in salary cap leagues where their hometown discounts/financial flexibility allowed their teams to compete for and win championships.  They play for teams that have proven that any money saved will be reinvested in the team because winning is the primary goal of their team. Andrew McCutchen does not play for a team that operates like that.  If Cutch stays in Pittsburgh it's because he's playing for that statue outside PNC Park.

I would love to see him stay here for the rest of his career though.  I don't follow minor league baseball very closely but if I'm reading the stat pages correctly, Meadows has spent significantly more time in the corner outfield spots this season than he has in the rest of his minor league career combined. There must at least be a chance that Pirates think they can keep Cutch - or at least they want to give the impression that they'll try to.
I'm thinking Meadows would play left if McCutchen is gone and Marte would move to CF
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

5E555D5154554E0B0D7A435B5255551459553A0 wrote: Yep, the Pirates success is always based on luck.

with what Marte and Polanco have done this year, I think I'd rather have Meadows replacing one of them rather than Cutch.
RichD

Post by RichD »

Trade him this off season. The guy has been the best player on the team since he has been here. But lots of players put up his type numbers. It just that he has been on a suck team they need to talk a bout someone.

But HOF and build a statue great, no freakin way. He has had 4 real good seasons 12-15 .The others were solid. I like him but,if  you sign him big money that would be a big mistake. It will be Cutch and thats it. Basically what we have had since Cutch came up .It hasnt gotten us much.But now his contract would be a killer.

What the Pirates have to continually try to do is get 3-4 Cutch types that come up at once and all hit the stride iat same time .Thats the only way we will win a WS..So we trade Cutch for the best prospects some mlb exp players and hope for the best.

Build a statue !! Thats the funniest thing i have heard all week
Quail

Post by Quail »

Cutch is the best offensive player the Pirates have by a wide margin. Trading him for prospects will simply be a backward reset for the maturation of the team's potential.

Next year I expect Taillon, Kuhl, Williams and Glasnow to be better pitchers than they are today. Cole and Nova will still be under contract. There's a very good chance that starting staff will be a good one in 2018.

If Cutch gets traded for prospects then in all likelihood Meadows takes his place. What are the chances that he'll follow up an injury riddled, mediocre year at AAA with anywhere near the production that Andrew McCutchen will have in 2018? If Bell and Polanco come into their own and Marte rebounds to his pre-suspension productivity all of that is undermined by Cutch's absence if he's traded. Like it or not Cutch is the core of the Pirate offense (I'm assuming Kang is gone).

The right thing for this organization to do is to extend him. Of course there are no guarantees, but to trade him for prospects is just kicking the can down the road. Removing the heart of your lineup when the starting pitching staff and the complementary offensive players are maturing and ready to compete for a post-season berth is not something a MLB franchise interested in winning should do.

I fully expect that Cutch will be traded. Nutting will save the roughly $80M he would have had to shell out for an extension, and the fans of Pittsburgh will still be wondering when the $8M the organization saved when they salary dumped Charlie Morton, the $4M saved by not having to pay Kang and Marte, and the $1.8M they saved by trading Watson for Benoit (with Phillies retaining salary) will be put into the product on the field.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

5269636844000 wrote: Trade him this off season. The guy has been the best player on the team since he has been here. But lots of players put up his type numbers. It just that he has been on a suck team they need to talk a bout someone.

But HOF and build a statue great, no freakin way. He has had 4 real good seasons 12-15 .The others were solid. I like him but,if  you sign him big money that would be a big mistake. It will be Cutch and thats it. Basically what we have had since Cutch came up .It hasnt gotten us much.But now his contract would be a killer.

What the Pirates have to continually try to do is get 3-4 Cutch types that come up at once and all hit the stride iat same time .Thats the only way we will win a WS..So we trade Cutch for the best prospects some mlb exp players and hope for the best.

Build a statue !! Thats the funniest thing i have heard all week
Seriously 3-4 Cutch type players at once. Yeah ok what are you smoking. .900+ OPS players just grow on trees. You do realize he is in the top 25 in Avg./Obp./Slg./BB/RBI/HR / this season. He is on pace career wise for 2500 hits, 350 hr, 250 sb, 1300 rbi's. Come on, you may not like him for some reason but those are great numbers. If and it sure is a big "if" they keep him and somehow win a WS. Yeah there should be a statue for sure.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

That would be the best team ever if they had three to four guys who can win the MVP.

McCutchen is a special talent. Not many teams have one McCutchen, yet four of them.