Game Thread: 8-15-17 Bucs vs. Brewers

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

0B2C3D393C211E2A3D3C3C21580 wrote: Freddy, how many times this season have you assessed what they need to do only do have them not do it? Probably everytime I say something like this lol.

;D ;D ;D
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I would agree with Freddy in that, if there is even a flicker of hope remaining at this point, then they gotta win tomorrow ... they can't get swept, and they have to win with Cole on the mound.

Cole has got to STEP UP tomorrow and dominate. That doesn't mean his standard 6 IP, 6 hits, 3 runs, 3 walks, 4 Ks. He needs to DOMINATE and put up a series of zeroes.

And, of course, the offense has to wake up and score 3-5 runs ... and that's probably asking too much off this bunch and is not realistic.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Looking forward to tomorrow's lineup, in a big game, that will surely feature Jaso and Stewart ... instead of a REAL OUTFIELDER and Elias Diaz.

CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

This team is incredibly frustrating and the front office is just maddening.

INbuc

Post by INbuc »

Frustrating by all means. Two years ago we finish the year 38 and 22 over the last two months but can't catch the Cards and barely hold off the Cubs. But as weak as we are this year -- 12th in the NL in average, 14th in HR, and 13th in OPS -- this team can't play their way out of contention.
Speedloader88

Post by Speedloader88 »

The reality has fully settled in that Huntington is a realist. He assessed the off season roster along with the loss of Marte and Kang and made the decision that they could not afford to replace those losses. He decided then that this team was not the squad to make substantial investment in. I believe he has known since April that he was playing for 2018. It is us, not he, who is delusional. But, like you, I have made the conscious decision to quit being a fan only to have my heart stray back to that scandalous ex-girlfriend who's perfume scent will haunt you forever even though you know she is toxic.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

484F637462010 wrote: Frustrating by all means.  Two years ago we finish the year 38 and 22 over the last two months but can't catch the Cards and barely hold off the Cubs.  But as weak as we are this year -- 12th in the NL in average, 14th in HR, and 13th in OPS --  this team can't play their way out of contention.   
Yes, normally a team has to win consistently to stay in contention. This season has been misleading because the Pirates have only remained "in contention" because other teams were losing just a little less frequently than they were.

Here is how futile the Pirates' efforts to win have been: They've been over .500 (just 1 game over) only twice. Those were the 2 high water marks of the season. The first time (4/9) they lost the next 4. The second time (7/21) they lost the next 2 and 6 of the next 7. 

They've been at .500 just 7 times:

4/8, won 1 then lost next 4

4/10, lost the next 3

4/16, lost the next 3

7/20, won 1 then lost next 2 and 6 of 7

7/22, lost 1 then won 1

7/24, lost the next 4

8/11, lost next 3 and counting.

So while they have statistically been not far from 1st place (thanks to the other teams losing, just not as much), the Pirates have made no effort to get there. But hey, Hurdle keeps them well rested and there's plenty of financial flexibility. Maybe they can buy new office chairs. What more could the fans want?
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

05263333323A39373233246E6E560 wrote: The reality has fully settled in that Huntington is a realist.  He assessed the off season roster along with the loss of Marte and Kang and made the decision that they could not afford to replace those losses.  He decided then that this team was not the squad to make substantial investment in.  I believe he has known since April that he was playing for 2018.  It is us, not he, who is delusional. But, like you, I have made the conscious decision to quit being a fan only to have my heart stray back to that scandalous ex-girlfriend who's perfume scent will haunt you forever even though you know she is toxic. 

Then why did he hold Nicasio at the deadline when good pen pitchers were getting solid trade returns?

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

38313928265C0 wrote: The reality has fully settled in that Huntington is a realist.  He assessed the off season roster along with the loss of Marte and Kang and made the decision that they could not afford to replace those losses.  He decided then that this team was not the squad to make substantial investment in.  I believe he has known since April that he was playing for 2018.  It is us, not he, who is delusional. But, like you, I have made the conscious decision to quit being a fan only to have my heart stray back to that scandalous ex-girlfriend who's perfume scent will haunt you forever even though you know she is toxic. 

Then why did he hold Nicasio at the deadline when good  pen pitchers were getting solid trade returns?

Did any trade returns for bullpen help bring back major league ready players?

I would think holding onto Nicasio is for next year as he would be needed next year not some kid a few years away.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

3B323A2B255F0 wrote: The reality has fully settled in that Huntington is a realist.  He assessed the off season roster along with the loss of Marte and Kang and made the decision that they could not afford to replace those losses.  He decided then that this team was not the squad to make substantial investment in.  I believe he has known since April that he was playing for 2018.  It is us, not he, who is delusional. But, like you, I have made the conscious decision to quit being a fan only to have my heart stray back to that scandalous ex-girlfriend who's perfume scent will haunt you forever even though you know she is toxic. 

Then why did he hold Nicasio at the deadline when good  pen pitchers were getting solid trade returns?

I thought that about him an a few other players too, but I do wonder if they view Nicasio as an extension candidate.