Brewers Interested in Yelich

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dmetz

Post by dmetz »

I'm I really reading a claim that Polanco and a hypothetical Yelich as a Pirate are comparable players?

17 WAR through his 25 year old season vs 4.2 WAR through his 25 year old season.

Somebody put a star around this thread.    

johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

I don't see how anyone can honestly argue that Polanco and Yelich are similar. Yelich is better in every single statistical category and he has remained healthy. I'm not sure it would be worth giving up what it would take to get him though.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I can post it again. I did say why and used some key words.

"In 2016, Polanco put up 22 HRs, 86 RBIs, and a .786 OPS. Yelich has never hit that many HRs and has a career .800 OPS. So yes, I think Polanco's bat can be identical to Yelich's."

Is Polanco really that far off? I know people don't like Polanco and think he is a bust, but his one good season is pretty close to what Yelich has done on average.

WAR is a terrible stat. Fun to look at, but it uses way too many estimates. I didn't say Polanco was as good or is better than Yelich. I said in 2016, Polanco had a similar year to what Yelich has done.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I keep expecting Polanco to break out in a big way. He has the physical tools. With all the new emphasis on launch angles, who knows . . . maybe this is the year he hits 30 HRs.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5358505C5958430600774E565F5858195458370 wrote: I can post it again.  I did say why and used some key words.

"In 2016, Polanco put up 22 HRs, 86 RBIs, and a .786 OPS.  Yelich has never hit that many HRs and has a career .800 OPS.  So yes, I think Polanco's bat can be identical to Yelich's." 

Is Polanco really that far off?  I know people don't like Polanco and think he is a bust, but his one good season is pretty close to what Yelich has done on average. 

WAR is a terrible stat.  Fun to look at, but it uses way too many estimates.  I didn't say Polanco was as good or is better than Yelich.  I said in 2016, Polanco had a similar year to what Yelich has done. 
Dog, that's a very strange argument. You're acknowledging that Yelich's normal production is essentially the same as Polanco's one and only good season. You point out that Yelich has never hit as many HRs as the 22 Polanco hit in 2016. True, but come on! Yelich did hit 21 in 2016. Not exactly a huge difference. And if the difference of 1 HR is evidence that Polanco can be as good, let's also consider that Yelich has never hit lower than .282. Polanco has never hit better than .258. As a run producer, Yelich's best RBI seasons are 98 and 81. Polanco's are 86 and 52. Yelich's worst OBP was .362. Polanco's best was .323.

IMHO, the Pirates are not getting Yelich. But he runs rings around Polanco in every way (except for that 1 more HR that one year). I would agree Polanco's bat can be identical to Yelich's bat but only if they buy them together. :)
dogknot17@yahoo.co

7C7E646274110 wrote: I keep expecting Polanco to break out in a big way. He has the physical tools. With all the new emphasis on launch angles, who knows . . . maybe this is the year he hits 30 HRs.

I do too. He has the potential and he is still a young player. His lack of coaching/training growing up definitely shows. He has shown some promise, but needs to show a lot more.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

Cool!  You don't like WAR.   Do you like W/oba?  How about Slugging? The only thing keeping Polanco's WAR at replacement level last year was his defense, so using WAR in comparing them helps Polanco, not Yelich.   If you judge them by conventional metrics, the contrast is even greater!

Regarding Polanco, my observation:

His lack of work ethic and focus shows through every facet of his game.  While other toolsy players develop and refine, Polanco gets sloppier.

Add in the constant lower body injuries and you've got a guy approaching bust status about as much as you have a guy ready to break out.    Could go either way.  Polanco is a wildcard.    He has talent.  Horray!  Big deal.  The big leagues are littered with  talented players who couldn't refine. 

Maybe the most likely outcome at this point is for him to be replacement level one year, solid the next and so on and so forth.  An erratic, sub-standard, DL marred career.

Comparing him to a hypothetical Yelich doesn't even matter.  Yelich isn't coming here.   but regarding the comparison between them...Hope and prayer aren't a strategy, they're a religion.   

If you can cartwheel yourself into believing Polanco and Yelich are comparable, you can do just about anything. I'm VERY Jealous. I wish I could do that.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

767F776668120 wrote: Cool!  You don't like WAR.   Do you like W/oba?  How about Slugging? The only thing keeping Polanco's WAR at replacement level last year was his defense, so using WAR in comparing them helps Polanco, not Yelich.   If you judge them by conventional metrics, the contrast is even greater!

Regarding Polanco, my observation:

His lack of work ethic and focus shows through every facet of his game.  While other toolsy players develop and refine, Polanco gets sloppier.

Add in the constant lower body injuries and you've got a guy approaching bust status about as much as you have a guy ready to break out.    Could go either way.  Polanco is a wildcard.    He has talent.  Horray!  Big deal.  The big leagues are littered with  talented players who couldn't refine. 

Maybe the most likely outcome at this point is for him to be replacement level one year, solid the next and so on and so forth.  An erratic, sub-standard, DL marred career.

Comparing him to a hypothetical Yelich doesn't even matter.  Yelich isn't coming here.   but regarding the comparison between them...Hope and prayer aren't a strategy, they're a religion.   

If you can cartwheel yourself into believing Polanco and Yelich are comparable, you can do just about anything.  I'm VERY Jealous.   I wish I could do that.
Dmetz, I too am not a fan of WAR. Are you saying his defensive WAR last year was good? That seems odd if true.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

dmetz, you even said Polanco's career "can go either way". I believe that too. If it goes well, he can put up Yelich numbers.

Polanco's defense helped his WAR? OPS is my favorite stat. So, I do like slugging as well.

I can see Polanco put up a .280 average, hit 25+ HRs, and have an OPS over .800. If he does that, he will be in Yelich's ballpark with the bat. In 2016, Polanco was close to those numbers. In my opinion, it is not out of reach for him. I would still take Yelich over Polanco in a heartbeat.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

The line is so thin for many baseball players, and if your one of those players on the line and your body can't stand through the grind, then you aren't going to make it.

I think absent injury, Polanco could be a plus player, but I'm thinking with his swing mechanics, any strain anywhere in his body would throw that off and make him bad.