What do you want to see...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

INbuc

Post by INbuc »

The Pirates have faithfully tried to find bargains, long-shots, and hidden gems...to some success. Kang being a real home run. Where the Brewers surpassed the Bucs is their willingness to augment their new additions via trades (Yelich) and free agent signings (eg. Cain and Chacin). Once they created their own window, they wasted little time opening it all the way. What the Bucs needed to do between the 2015 and 16 seasons.
Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

They did find Rodriguez out of nowhere and his usage is something I’d like to see changed. He’s been the best reliever on the team but he’s being pitched multiple innings in low leverage situations. I want him to be exclusively a late inning reliever.

The thing I most want to see realistically, though, is Mercer traded. His defense has been trending the wrong way since 2015 and it’s atrocious this year. The Pirates are on pace to give up an extra 40 runs this season due to hits that average defenders would turn into outs and he’s a big part of that. Let a better defender take over even if he doesn’t hit quite as much. Give our young pitchers a better chance.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

797E524553300 wrote: The Pirates have faithfully tried to find bargains, long-shots, and hidden gems...to some success.  Kang being a real home run.  Where the Brewers surpassed the Bucs is their willingness to augment their new additions via trades (Yelich) and free agent signings (eg. Cain and Chacin).   Once they created their own window, they wasted little time opening it all the way.  What the Bucs needed to do between the 2015 and 16 seasons.
I agree with this. We could point to players the Pirates took chances on it worked out: Liriano, Melancon, Volquez, Kang (for a little while). But that was only part of the Brewers' efforts as they tried to build a complete team. The Pirates did little else to acquire talent besides those moves.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

567B76676071662625140 wrote: The Pirates have faithfully tried to find bargains, long-shots, and hidden gems...to some success.  Kang being a real home run.  Where the Brewers surpassed the Bucs is their willingness to augment their new additions via trades (Yelich) and free agent signings (eg. Cain and Chacin).   Once they created their own window, they wasted little time opening it all the way.  What the Bucs needed to do between the 2015 and 16 seasons.
I agree with this. We could point to players the Pirates took chances on it worked out: Liriano, Melancon, Volquez, Kang (for a little while). But that was only part of the Brewers' efforts as they tried to build a complete team. The Pirates did little else to acquire talent besides those moves.

This is it. The Pirates as always are reluctant to add any significant salary. They never finished the team the way the Brewers did.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

Everyone makes fun of the pirates because they're one of the worst 2-3 organizations in baseball. Not because they try to find talent in weird places, like India, Lithuania, or South Africa. They need to try harder or do better.
PMike

Post by PMike »

6C656D7C72080 wrote: Everyone makes fun of the pirates because they're one of the worst 2-3 organizations in baseball.   Not because they try to find talent in weird places, like India, Lithuania, or South Africa.   They need to try harder or do better. 

Actually, in my (limited) experience, it's only the Pirates fans that make fun of the organization. The baseball people that I know beyond the city (and who are fans of other teams) have a pretty solid respect for the Pirates and view them as a team with some upside now and in the future. IMHO, it's only the super Pirates fans who expect them to win the division every year and be competing against the Yankees for world championships.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

7D604446482D0 wrote: Everyone makes fun of the pirates because they're one of the worst 2-3 organizations in baseball.   Not because they try to find talent in weird places, like India, Lithuania, or South Africa.   They need to try harder or do better. 

Actually, in my (limited) experience, it's only the Pirates fans that make fun of the organization.  The baseball people that I know beyond the city (and who are fans of other teams) have a pretty solid respect for the Pirates and view them as a team with some upside now and in the future.  IMHO, it's only the super Pirates fans who expect them to win the division every year and be competing against the Yankees for world championships.

PMike, I respect you a lot, but you know this is an unfair statement. Right?
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

47465D4C5A1A1D290 wrote: The Pirates have faithfully tried to find bargains, long-shots, and hidden gems...to some success.  Kang being a real home run.  Where the Brewers surpassed the Bucs is their willingness to augment their new additions via trades (Yelich) and free agent signings (eg. Cain and Chacin).   Once they created their own window, they wasted little time opening it all the way.  What the Bucs needed to do between the 2015 and 16 seasons.

This is it. The Pirates as always are reluctant to add any significant salary. They never finished the team the way the Brewers did.

This is all spot on IMHO.  any similarity between the Brewers and Pirates ended before the 2017 season.

What’s interesting about the Brewers is that this is the 2nd cycle the Crew is going all in now.  As their window passed after their first cycle, around 2014 or so, several folks used the Brewers “down years” as evidence that the Brewers model was seriously flawed and it would be years before they would be able to compete.

Turns out their model turned things around A LOT quicker than the “Pirates Model”. 
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

634655405C575C5D5850340 wrote: They did find Rodriguez out of nowhere and his usage is something I’d like to see changed. He’s been the best reliever on the team but he’s being pitched multiple innings in low leverage situations. I want him to be exclusively a late inning reliever.

The thing I most want to see realistically, though, is Mercer traded. His defense has been trending the wrong way since 2015 and it’s atrocious this year. The Pirates are on pace to give up an extra 40 runs this season due to hits that average defenders would turn into outs and he’s a big part of that. Let a better defender take over even if he doesn’t hit quite as much. Give our young pitchers a better chance.

I wouldn't mind replacing Mercer but think the Bucs are going to wait until Newman or Kramer are ready. S-Rod is no golden glover at short but he has started there 10 times this year.

With Bell and Moran at the corners the Bucs need to be strong defensively at both short and second.  Seems to me that is a no brainer that should have been obvious coming into the season.  Yet apparently the Bucs felt Mercer was going to improve rather than match last year or decline. 

Really it is another example of front office punting on this season without admitting it.  (they had to have a pretty good clue of Moran at third and definitely knew that Bell was not good at first). 
notes34

Post by notes34 »

606771797760272B52757F737B7E3C717D7F120 wrote: Everyone makes fun of the pirates because they're one of the worst 2-3 organizations in baseball.   Not because they try to find talent in weird places, like India, Lithuania, or South Africa.   They need to try harder or do better. 

Actually, in my (limited) experience, it's only the Pirates fans that make fun of the organization.  The baseball people that I know beyond the city (and who are fans of other teams) have a pretty solid respect for the Pirates and view them as a team with some upside now and in the future.  IMHO, it's only the super Pirates fans who expect them to win the division every year and be competing against the Yankees for world championships.

PMike, I respect you a lot, but you know this is an unfair statement.  Right? 

And honestly a ridiculous statement. Isn't the goal to compete for a championship??? I guess it doesn't matter if you're not a super Pirates fan.