What do you want to see...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

iabucco

Post by iabucco »

The Pirates are only 4 games under .500 and I do want to remain optimistic but I have been asking myself what do I want to see if/once the season is gone. Here are a list of things I want to see:

1: Osuna getting significant playing time. If that means sitting Bell or sending him down to figure it out, so be it.

2: Kang playing- Lets figure out if he is an option. I would like to see if he can play ss but if you can trade Harrison do it.

3: Glasnow getting into the rotation

4: Kingham getting into the rotation- these two probably mean trading Nova but it may also depend on the health of Kuhl

5: Figure out the outfield and that means Meadows plays every day.

6: Get Newman up and play him- that means cutting S-Rod in conjunction with the previously mentioned J-Hay trade.

Glasnow seems removed from the walkathon pitcher of last year. I am sure he will struggle. However, if he is ever going to turn into a starting pitcher, he has to work through those struggles. I want to see what Kingham, Osuna, Meadows, Kang and Newman have to offer. I am not down on Bell totally but some sitting time or time down in aaa may help him. His swing looks broken right now.
PMike

Post by PMike »

There is nothing to do. This team is a failure with no hope. All of the players suck. The manager is more interested in cronyism than winning and the FO is a bunch of bumbling idiots. Why bother.

Oh, wait...they are only 4 games under .500?? You wouldn't know that from the tone on this board.

To your post:

I would jettison SRod and Mercer ASAP. Let anyone pick up the at bats of those two, especially Newman.

Harrison would be next on the list. They have guys that can fill in and do almost as well. Plus, you have to find out about them

I also agree on Kingham and Glasnow. Glasnow is going to struggle. He has struggled every time he has made a transition in pro baseball. He has then figured it out and dominated at every single level in pro baseball. I don't know if he will do that now, but you can't deny his pattern.

I don't know what to do about the OF situation. Getting rid of Polanco seems like trading really really low. He has a lot of potential in him. Latin America players often bloom late. I would be cycling the OFers so that every guy plays every 3 out of 4 days.

I like Osuna a lot. He just gets the job done. I don't think Bell works it out by going to the minors, but maybe splitting time with Osuna would be a good middle ground.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Both of you have good ideas about using Osuna more, calling up Newman and to figure what Kang has to offer down the road. I think a big thing the Pirates must determine ,is which starting pitchers will be in the rotation in a year or two. If you trade Nova you have the remaining 4 starters. Brault or Glasnow could start, as well as Kingham, Holmes, Eppler, Hearn, Keller. That is 11 possible starting pitchers, and you don’t want to trade or release them before they reach their potential.  A couple of them could be long men out of the bullpen, some may end up being traded, and you hope that the pitchers retained become the more elite of the group. It will be interesting to see how the current starters, and the pitchers on the horizon continue to develop.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

To do anything you have to move bodies somewhere. The deadline always holds some promise of moving guys like Freese or Mercer (and maybe Harrison).

Unfortunately, it looks to be a buyer's market as there is little parity this year. In the AL there are 5 teams in control of all 5 playoff spots. The wannabes are already way behind. Maybe the Angels would do something because of their history.

The NL is slightly better with a few playoff contenders. But in the end there seems to be a lot of teams looking to move pieces and few teams that may need those pieces.

Unless the Brass can get creative to make some room for younger guys like Newman and Osuna, this board's frustration meter will continue to run on high.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

7B5A4F467E475C4F5A4B2E0 wrote: To do anything you have to move bodies somewhere. The deadline always holds some promise of moving guys like Freese or Mercer (and maybe Harrison).

Unfortunately, it looks to be a buyer's market as there is little parity this year. In the AL there are 5 teams in control of all 5 playoff spots. The wannabes are already way behind. Maybe the Angels would do something because of their history.

The NL is slightly better with a few playoff contenders. But in the end there seems to be a lot of teams looking to move pieces and few teams that may need those pieces.

Unless the Brass can get creative to make some room for younger guys like Newman and Osuna, this board's frustration meter will continue to run on high.

I would hope that after the deadline that the Bucs would just drop people if they aren't coming back next year. (can't see that with Harrison or Mercer) but Freese and S-Rod shouldn't block anyone.

Hoping to get a good report on Kuhl soon.
RichD

Post by RichD »

Glasnow is gaining confidence in the BP .I would keep him there until next season.

Osuna should get some playing time but he will end up a 240-260 type hitter so he really needs to hit a bunch of HR.

Move Mercer if you can but most likly he just finishes season and walks next year .Releasing him would be a douchbag move.

Trade Harrison . Get Newman some AB. Bring up Kingman .

Try to trade for Yanks Clint Frazier he`s ready and has no place to play .Maybe offer Oniel Cruz a young Baz or maybe Keller. Frazier /Meadows and Luplow next season . An all whiteboy OF lol.

PMike

Post by PMike »

7A414B406C280 wrote: Glasnow is gaining confidence in the BP .I would keep him there until next season.

Osuna should get some playing time but he will end up a 240-260 type hitter so he really needs to hit a bunch of HR.

Move Mercer if you can but most likly he just finishes season and walks next year .Releasing him would be a douchbag move.

Trade Harrison . Get Newman some AB. Bring up Kingman .

Try to trade for Yanks Clint Frazier he`s ready and has no place to play .Maybe offer Oniel Cruz a young Baz or maybe Keller. Frazier /Meadows and Luplow next season . An all whiteboy OF lol.

That is an interesting final idea. I wonder if they could trade Vazquez for Frazier even up. The Yanks seem poised to win a WS this year and into the future. Vazquez would be a great piece in their bullpen.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

What I want to see is a commitment to a plan. Not just moving veterans for prospects who will in turn be moved for prospects after a few years on a Pirate team that is too willing to leave holes unfilled while settling for mediocrity or below average. If a solid core is built, then TBMTIB must find a few impact players to get the team over the hump. The 2013 team competed but settled for a 1B situation of Garrett Jones and Gaby Sanchez and didn't want to replace Clint Barmes. The 2014 team tried to get by at 1B with Ike Davis and Sanchez as well as Locke and Morton in the rotation. The 2015 team knew they had a problem with Locke and Morton but wouldn't upgrade and had a major problem with Alvarez playing 1B.   

So when I see players traded, acquired or promoted, I want it to be part of an overall plan to compete for a championship. Just acquiring players who may be productive or have potential isn't enough if the team fails to address other glaring weaknesses that will prevent a serious run. It seems they never make a complete effort to build a great team. Fans have become conditioned to talk about "winning the trade" instead of winning in the post-season. I want to see fans get excited about a complete effort by TBMTIB.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

547974656273642427160 wrote: What I want to see is a commitment to a plan. Not just moving veterans for prospects who will in turn be moved for prospects after a few years on a Pirate team that is too willing to leave holes unfilled while settling for mediocrity or below average. If a solid core is built, then TBMTIB must find a few impact players to get the team over the hump. The 2013 team competed but settled for a 1B situation of Garrett Jones and Gaby Sanchez and didn't want to replace Clint Barmes. The 2014 team tried to get by at 1B with Ike Davis and Sanchez as well as Locke and Morton in the rotation. The 2015 team knew they had a problem with Locke and Morton but wouldn't upgrade and had a major problem with Alvarez playing 1B.   

So when I see players traded, acquired or promoted, I want it to be part of an overall plan to compete for a championship. Just acquiring players who may be productive or have potential isn't enough if the team fails to address other glaring weaknesses that will prevent a serious run. It seems they never make a complete effort to build a great team. Fans have become conditioned to talk about "winning the trade" instead of winning in the post-season. I want to see fans get excited about a complete effort by TBMTIB.

great post.
Kovalwat

Post by Kovalwat »

The thing I want to see the most is Huntington fired.