Pirates Sign Jordan Lyles

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Quail

Post by Quail »

737269786E2E291D0 wrote: He is a reliever.
Not according to our dopey GM.

“We are pleased to add Jordan Lyles to our Major League pitching staff,” said GM Neal Huntington in a statement accompanying the announcement. “Jordan has always had a quality pitch arsenal, and given his success after adjusting how he used his pitches during the 2018 season, he will have a legitimate opportunity to earn a spot in our rotation in 2019. We look forward to helping Jordan continue to bridge the gap between potential and performance.”

>:(

Sounds like the kinds of things NH said about Drew Hutchison. I sure hope the results are different.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

This transaction is basically a non-transaction. We're just shuffling around deck chairs on the Titanic at this point.

If the front office would just do these 3 AFFORDABLE AND VERY REALISTIC moves between now and March I'd be happy.

1. Sign Granderson to hold down RF until July.

2. Sign Hechevarria at SS

3. Sign Wade Miley and/or Gio Gonzalez to provide depth and LH arms to the starting rotation.

I'm not holding my breath.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Jordan Lyles wasn't really that successful as a starter last season.

He had a ERA of 4 at the end of April (gave up 8 runs, including 4 in his last appearance 1.2 innings)

Joined starting rotation in May.  Made 8 starts in a row. Had 4.79 ERA and gave up 10 homers in 47 innings. Batting average against was 285 and slugging was 484.

As a reliever he had ERA of 3.32 (pitched 40 innings in 28 games) Batting average against was 205.

Does anyone know why he didn't appear in playoffs with Brewers?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Apparently, they are just looking for a warm body for the #5 starter. Nova wasn't worth 9 million. But they didn't have a replacement. Looks like a ST battle between Lyles, Kingham and Brault.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

496469787F6E79393A0B0 wrote: Apparently, they are just looking for a warm body for the #5 starter. Nova wasn't worth 9 million. But they didn't have a replacement. Looks like a ST battle between Lyles, Kingham and Brault.

where's Jeff Karstens when you need him?
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

This drives me nuts. The Pirates are always so quick to be "happy with our internal options," when those internal options ARE NOT GOOD.

Look, $9M isn't that much in this day and age and, man, Nova was nothing if not reliable ... make a lot of starts, throw a lot of innings, don't walk anyone, go 6 IP and give up maybe 3 runs. THAT IS A COVETED COMMODITY in major league baseball today and of course we just traded it away for a bag of balls and a happy meal.

IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

674140574151220 wrote: Jordan Lyles wasn't really that successful as a starter last season.

He had a ERA of 4 at the end of April (gave up 8 runs, including 4 in his last appearance 1.2 innings)

Joined starting rotation in May.  Made 8 starts in a row. Had 4.79 ERA and gave up 10 homers in 47 innings. Batting average against was 285 and slugging was 484.

As a reliever he had ERA of 3.32 (pitched 40 innings in 28 games) Batting average against was 205.

Does anyone know why he didn't appear in playoffs with Brewers?

Didn't Lyles pitch for the Padres last year? Meaning, weren't half his games in the most pitcher friendly park in MLB? So, perhaps his stats are even inflated a tiny little bit?