Ben Cherington

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave

Ben Cherington

Post by WildwoodDave »

I know one thing for sure. Whatever the preseason line is on the Bucs, I will bet the under- Atlantic City , here I come
2drfischer@gmail.c

Ben Cherington

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

7B575F585374435545360 wrote: In another thread I posted many of my concerns regarding the failure to acquire some depth for the starting rotation.  First,  I have already accepted what next year is likely to be --- a year of better evaluating what you have and what you need with what are undoubtedly going to be some very lopsided losses.

A key issue with me is ensuring that there are enough bodies to finish what will undoubtedly be a long season (it will feel like it is more than 162 games) and not thrusting young pitchers into roles that they are not ready to perform.  As such, bringing someone up out of AA for a spot start is an oft used approach, but asking that same player (who really may have an upside, but who is not ready for prime time) to suddenly step into the rotation for 6 weeks or so because two of your regular starters are out is not good practice.  With me, it is not a question of how much money is spent this year on the major league team, but recognizing that additional stop gap players, particularly pitching, will be needed just to make it through the season and to not burn through the pitchers who could be more valuable to you in the future.

I also believe that BC should be in a position to trade Marte at this point, provided other teams are offering a good return.  If they aren't (I have not been excited by some of the rumored Met trades), then yes, hang onto him now and hope that interest in him grows as the season unfolds and that he performs well and does not get hurt (particularly near the deadline).  That said, even casual fans know that the Pirates have such broad overall needs that could be the focal point of any Marte trade; starting pitching, relief pitching, and catching for starters, and that any real talent that was acquired to help address these needs for the future should be welcomed. 

I am glad that the Pirates made a GM change and many other organizational changes.  I did, however, expect that they would do more than bring in Maile, a platoon outfielder with some major league experience, and a bevy of non-roster invites who don't appear to have much chance of sticking past mid-March.  At present, I would likely even welcome a Wade LeBlanc signing (A move I noted several months ago as one that clearly would signal the sorry state of the franchise). 

I am in the camp of having to hope that there is some likelihood of future success, because at present, it is quite dark in Pirate land.   

Excellent thoughts. Once Coonelly, Huntington, and Hurdle were fired, I was quite sure that this offseason and regular season were going to be periods of evaluation of the talent currently in the organization. I had no visions of the new GM, with Nutting's blessing, acquiring talent in the free agency market, through trades, or from Japan. I was already hunkering down for what may be a very difficult season.

And I resolved myself to be okay with it primarily because Coonelly, Huntington, and Hurdle were now gone. The franchise, in my opinion, could now improve. Even though Nutting remains, I'm convinced that a talented GM can overcome his profit-first goal and build a winning organization, from Pittsburgh to Bristol.

I'm going to be in Cherington's corner because I want him to return the Pirates to legitimacy, to a team that contends more years than not. That wasn't going to be done under the old regime. By this time next year, I'm hoping positive changes will have been made and that we can see the franchise moving in the right direction. In two years, I'm hoping that we can see a positive future just ahead. If that's all it takes to become a consistently good organization, I'm on board.
WildwoodDave

Ben Cherington

Post by WildwoodDave »

It is quite dark in Pirate land- I have retired my sun glasses fot the summer
SCBucco

Ben Cherington

Post by SCBucco »

282A303620450 wrote: The reports I see are suggesting teams (Padres and Mets) are balking at what BC is asking in return for Marte. But that's negotiation. If the Pirates are ready to keep Marte and another team really wants him, the offers will go up.

Marte is better than Archer and look what we gave up. Too bad there isn't another NH out there to fleece.
DemDog

Ben Cherington

Post by DemDog »

4D5D5C6B7D7D711E0 wrote: The reports I see are suggesting teams (Padres and Mets) are balking at what BC is asking in return for Marte. But that's negotiation. If the Pirates are ready to keep Marte and another team really wants him, the offers will go up.

Marte is better than Archer and look what we gave up.  Too bad there isn't another NH out there to fleece.

No GM out there now is as inept as NH was when it came to making deals.
fjk090852-7

Ben Cherington

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Ben Cherington at last nights media scrum said they are still looking at adding catching help. The best free agent catcher on the market is Russ Martin. He is not the same player he was when he signed here in 2012, but he would be an upgrade defensively and he would bring a veteran presence to the clubhouse.
Quail

Ben Cherington

Post by Quail »

From this morning's Athletic:

When Ben Cherington was asked "What are the Pirates' needs for 2020?" this was his response:

“I’d like to add some pitching depth, both (in the bullpen and rotation). We’d still like to add some outfield depth. It could be major league or it could be nonroster. Beyond that, probably more opportunistic — what opportunities are left? We have players to start a season. We can have an Opening Day roster right now, but we’d like to add some depth in some areas and continue to look for opportunities that help the Pirates in the short and long term.”

Interestingly, no mention of adding a catcher.
Bobster21

Ben Cherington

Post by Bobster21 »

1F3B2F27224E0 wrote: From this morning's Athletic:

When Ben Cherington was asked "What are the Pirates' needs for 2020?" this was his response:

“I’d like to add some pitching depth, both (in the bullpen and rotation). We’d still like to add some outfield depth. It could be major league or it could be nonroster. Beyond that, probably more opportunistic — what opportunities are left? We have players to start a season. We can have an Opening Day roster right now, but we’d like to add some depth in some areas and continue to look for opportunities that help the Pirates in the short and long term.”

He's quoted in the Trib today as saying, “We expect we’d continue to add to the catching group in some way between now and spring training.”

Note that he didn't say he was looking for a starting catcher; only someone to add "in some way" to the mix. That's consistent with his comments about looking for "depth in some areas." It's looking like Stallings starting, Maile as #2 and Murphy as AAA depth. Any of them could fail so another catcher in AAA would be a good idea.
fjk090852-7

Ben Cherington

Post by fjk090852-7 »

103D30212637206063520 wrote: From this morning's Athletic:

He's quoted in the Trib today as saying, “We expect we’d continue to add to the catching group in some way between now and spring training.”

Note that he didn't say he was looking for a starting catcher; only someone to add "in some way" to the mix. That's consistent with his comments about looking for "depth in some areas." It's looking like Stallings starting, Maile as #2 and Murphy as AAA depth. Any of them could fail so another catcher in AAA would be a good idea.
For anyone interested the media scrum is podcast on The Fan 93.7. It is about 23 minutes long.
NJBucsFan

Ben Cherington

Post by NJBucsFan »

7A4441495A424249694C5B482D0 wrote: I know one thing for sure. Whatever the preseason line is on the Bucs, I will bet the under- Atlantic City , here I come
Last I saw it was 71 1/2 which, all snark aside, seems REALLY high.