Official Game Thread 7/8/2021 Bucs vs. Mets

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

306670646B71616A677042656F636B6E2C61020 wrote: Reynolds needs a day off to prepare for the all-star break next week.  ::)

These constant, deliberate subpar lineups show Shelton doesn't care if they win or lose. So why does Shelton even care about making pitching changes in games when he obviously doesn't care about the outcome?

It begs the question as to whether or not he's getting instruction from BC to field inferior line-ups to assure as many losses as possible.  If I were a manager, especially a new one, I'd be trying to win every game possible to protect my own reputation.  He sure doesn't manage that way, so it makes me wonder what's going on.
I think some is what BC wants and some is Shelton's utter incompetence. I'm sure BC didn't tell Shelton to do a double-switch last week so that his new reliever could lead off the next inning. And BC probably doesn't tell him to make up lineups so that there are only LH PHers on the bench. Or to leave in struggling pitchers in hopes they can suddenly execute pitches. I think Shelton's decisions show such a high level of incompetence that it's easy to blame him for every bad move even if BC is really the one behind some of them. I hope Shelton has a very brief tenure as manager so that if BC is ordering bad moves, at least the problem isn't compounded by additional bad moves from the manager.   

I know BC makes no in-game decisions.  Shelton’s screwing those up all by himself.  But I can see BC “suggesting” certain players be placed in the starting line-up.  What else could explain Polanco playing so much?  But I agree there’s no way BC is talking with Shelton during games.  I would never expect that.

Is he making these decisions all by himself? My guess is that they are heavily influenced by the analytics department and represent a consensus decision as to how to manage the team.

Analytics may determine how many innings/games a player can play in a row. Analytics may be the reason for his short hook on pitchers. Analytics may determine lineups etc.

Either way, I think these decisions are the result of a team decision.

Polanco? Got no clue.

I'm sure you're right regarding their use of analytics and how multiple people are involved in the decision-making.  I'm also a big believer in math and how numbers don't lie.  But all decisions, as they need to be made, can't be based just on numbers.  There's a human element that can't be dismissed and many times can't be explained.  Baseball's not a desk top computer game, but sometimes I feel it's being turned into one.
I think the Pirates over emphasize analytics as an alternative to acquiring talented players. They're always looking for ways to improve performance other than paying to keep or acquire productive players. So we get things like an NBA formula for resting players or limiting pitchers to under 80 pitches. The Pirates were one of the first teams to emphasize infield shifting. Last year they were trying 4-man outfields. The problem is that if they find something that works, it gets copied (like shifting) by the teams that still have better players. So there's no advantage. There's no substitute for good players. But that costs money. But the Pirates like to think they're the smartest ones in the room and pat themselves on the back for being innovative (while they continue to lose).
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

But the Pirates like to think they're the smartest ones in the room and pat themselves on the back for being innovative (while they continue to lose).

Because they're in control day-to-day, we tend to impute this stuff to the GM. But, both of Nutting's management changes started with him going around the league and finding out where the Pirates had fallen behind. His hires are people who implement what he's already decided to do.
shedman

Post by shedman »

3264726669736368657240676D61696C2E63000 wrote: I agree that Shelton is bad, but Cherington is the worst GM in all of baseball.

::)
_______

Around here, Cherington could field 26 Little Leaguers and everyone would blame Shelton for which Little Leaguers he played!!!
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

604D40515647501013220 wrote: Reynolds needs a day off to prepare for the all-star break next week.  ::)

These constant, deliberate subpar lineups show Shelton doesn't care if they win or lose. So why does Shelton even care about making pitching changes in games when he obviously doesn't care about the outcome?

It begs the question as to whether or not he's getting instruction from BC to field inferior line-ups to assure as many losses as possible.  If I were a manager, especially a new one, I'd be trying to win every game possible to protect my own reputation.  He sure doesn't manage that way, so it makes me wonder what's going on.
I think some is what BC wants and some is Shelton's utter incompetence. I'm sure BC didn't tell Shelton to do a double-switch last week so that his new reliever could lead off the next inning. And BC probably doesn't tell him to make up lineups so that there are only LH PHers on the bench. Or to leave in struggling pitchers in hopes they can suddenly execute pitches. I think Shelton's decisions show such a high level of incompetence that it's easy to blame him for every bad move even if BC is really the one behind some of them. I hope Shelton has a very brief tenure as manager so that if BC is ordering bad moves, at least the problem isn't compounded by additional bad moves from the manager.   

I know BC makes no in-game decisions.  Shelton’s screwing those up all by himself.  But I can see BC “suggesting” certain players be placed in the starting line-up.  What else could explain Polanco playing so much?  But I agree there’s no way BC is talking with Shelton during games.  I would never expect that.

Is he making these decisions all by himself? My guess is that they are heavily influenced by the analytics department and represent a consensus decision as to how to manage the team.

Analytics may determine how many innings/games a player can play in a row. Analytics may be the reason for his short hook on pitchers. Analytics may determine lineups etc.

Polanco? Got no clue.

I'm sure you're right regarding their use of analytics and how multiple people are involved in the decision-making.  I'm also a big believer in math and how numbers don't lie.  But all decisions, as they need to be made, can't be based just on numbers.  There's a human element that can't be dismissed and many times can't be explained.  Baseball's not a desk top computer game, but sometimes I feel it's being turned into one.
I think the Pirates over emphasize analytics as an alternative to acquiring talented players. They're always looking for ways to improve performance other than paying to keep or acquire productive players. So we get things like an NBA formula for resting players or limiting pitchers to under 80 pitches. The Pirates were one of the first teams to emphasize infield shifting. Last year they were trying 4-man outfields. The problem is that if they find something that works, it gets copied (like shifting) by the teams that still have better players. So there's no advantage. [highlight]There's no substitute for good players. But that costs money. But the Pirates like to think they're the smartest ones in the room and pat themselves on the back for being innovative[/highlight] (while they continue to lose).

Precisely, particularly under Huntington. But the continued failures kept exposing him time after time. I don't know if Cherington is as bad. I'm thinking he isn't. This draft and trade deadline will tell us more.
shedman

Post by shedman »

015741555A40505B564173545E525A5F1D50330 wrote: Reynolds needs a day off to prepare for the all-star break next week.  ::)

Polanco? Got no clue.

I think the Pirates over emphasize analytics as an alternative to acquiring talented players. They're always looking for ways to improve performance other than paying to keep or acquire productive players. So we get things like an NBA formula for resting players or limiting pitchers to under 80 pitches. The Pirates were one of the first teams to emphasize infield shifting. Last year they were trying 4-man outfields. The problem is that if they find something that works, it gets copied (like shifting) by the teams that still have better players. So there's no advantage. [highlight]There's no substitute for good players. But that costs money. But the Pirates like to think they're the smartest ones in the room and pat themselves on the back for being innovative[/highlight] (while they continue to lose).

Precisely, particularly under Huntington.  But the continued failures kept exposing him time after time.  I don't know if Cherington is as bad.  I'm thinking he isn't.  This draft and trade deadline will tell us more.
________

Then after the draft and the trade deadline, you can kick the can down the road to the Off Season.
2drfischer@gmail.c

475C515059555A340 wrote: I agree that Shelton is bad, but Cherington is the worst GM in all of baseball.

::)
_______

Around here, Cherington could field 26 Little Leaguers and everyone would blame Shelton for which Little Leaguers he played!!!

So, in your considered opinion, Shelton has been doing a fine job with his line-ups and in-game decisions?
2drfischer@gmail.c

574C414049454A240 wrote: Reynolds needs a day off to prepare for the all-star break next week.  ::)

Polanco? Got no clue.

Precisely, particularly under Huntington.  But the continued failures kept exposing him time after time.  I don't know if Cherington is as bad.  I'm thinking he isn't.  This draft and trade deadline will tell us more.
________

Then after the draft and the trade deadline, you can kick the can down the road to the Off Season.

Well, I certainly won't be rushing down to PNC Park to stand in line to buy World Series tickets.