Future payroll

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

johnfluharty

Future payroll

Post by johnfluharty »

Tucker versus Polanco?  No offense to either guy but we're comparing two pounds of poop here.  Tucker's better defensively even if he's played in the outfield.  Offensively I suppose Polanco beats him out with the occasional power.  Really the difference is not even worth debating.  Neither should be playing for contending team.
GreenWeenie

Future payroll

Post by GreenWeenie »

You could place a period after "playing" and be just as accurate. Unfortunately.
skinnyhorse

Future payroll

Post by skinnyhorse »

7F7A7D7B7379607D7467616C150 wrote: Either by rank or by money.  Interestingly enough, right now $95M would put them at 17th.  Is that because there's a separation starting between the haves and have nots or is it due to more of a recent tendency for teams to try and intentionally tank.  The Rays have proved you can compete and go to the playoffs with a low payroll, but I'm not sure our front office is good enough to replicate that success.
Certainly our manager is well below average, no matter how good our talent if the manager has no idea what to do with players it doesn't matter. If Cherington doesn't move on from Shelton I have no faith that we will ever be able to compete. I really don't understand Cherington he's been willing to move players out who aren't getting it done why not the manager.
Bobster21

Future payroll

Post by Bobster21 »

6D767B7A737F701E0 wrote: The highest paid players left on the team are Moran, Kuhl, Brault, and Stallings.  If Cherington can salary dump these 4 guys and replace them with LMG's, he could save BOB another $5 million.

Of those players, I can see Moran being dealt either in the offseason or before the Deadline, not because of his salary, but because BC likely thinks he can find someone better.  He just hasn’t produced enough.
_______

Yeah, I know.  Moran isn't that good.  For that matter, neither is Kuhl, Brault, and Stallings.  So, lets salary dump all of them and replace them with LMG's.  Polanco redux.  Get rid of Polanco and call up Tucker.

If getting rid of Polanco was just a salary dump, why didn't Toronto add him to their MLB roster? They're paying him practically nothing. Instead, they put him in AAA where he's batting .185. They had the option to put him on their MLB roster but chose not to and it had nothing to do with salary. He simply doesn't produce at an MLB level. But when the Pirates took that same unproductive player off their MLB roster is was only a salary dump. Hmmm. [smiley=huh.gif]
GreenWeenie

Future payroll

Post by GreenWeenie »

6A727077776071766B6A7C190 wrote: Either by rank or by money.  Interestingly enough, right now $95M would put them at 17th.  Is that because there's a separation starting between the haves and have nots or is it due to more of a recent tendency for teams to try and intentionally tank.  The Rays have proved you can compete and go to the playoffs with a low payroll, but I'm not sure our front office is good enough to replicate that success.
Certainly our manager is well below average, no matter how good our talent if the manager has no idea what to do with players it doesn't matter.  If Cherington doesn't move on from Shelton I have no faith that we will ever be able to compete.  I really don't understand Cherington he's been willing to move players out who aren't getting it done why not the manager.

Not hard to figure out.

The previous guy got fired.  Players stunk.  Getting rid of the better guys is "sell-able."  Most people on this board bought it.

Who hired Shelton?

Whomever it was doesn't want to admit an obvious mistake....this soon. 

And, no one's knocking on the door to be considered.  It's a job that no one worth hiring wants.

That's how Shelton got it in the first place.

Get used to him.