PG keeping the pressure on Nutting?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

3C6A7C68677D6D666B7C4E69636F6762206D0E0 wrote: This is exactly what needs to happen the city needs to put pressure on ownership.  I have written on here about it in the past.  The failure of this team is a black eye on the city and the area.  I have a different take on it than most, I don't believe just spending money is the answer, we tried that with Chris Archer and what a disaster that turned out to be.  You have to be able to walk away like the Cardinals did with Pujols.  I can't stand players who quibble about a few dollars when they are offered a huge contract.  Players who do that will become a cancer on a organization.  The solution is to have real baseball people evaluate all that is out there and get the best player for the money.  The cardinals always seem to do that.  They could have went after Stanton but instead got Ozuna for considerably less. They know talent and they are wise with there spending.  That's what the Pirates need to do.  I'm hoping we have a GM who knows baseball.  The City of Pittsburg need to continue to put pressure on Nutting to demand his leadership perform.

I am totally with you on this.  We may have a chance to find out in the next year or so, next off season more so than this one.  If the minor league system BC has put in place starts producing real major league talent, how will he supplement that talent at the major league level?  What will we do with Reynolds as he comes close to FA?  I am about 65-35 on thinking Nutters will allow payroll to go up to $100M or $110M since it was there before, so BC will have a little room to work with, but it will be a challenge.

I think there are two things Nutting has learned as a baseball owner when it comes to spending money on his payroll:  first, when he did spend $100 million during the Wildcard years, the team still failed to advance beyond the first round and, second, watching multiple franchises spending as much as four times what he has spent offers no guarantee of reaching the World Series. 

He's a businessman, first and foremost.  A major league franchise is no different to him than any other type of business in that its purpose is to maximize profit.  Winning on the field will always take a back seat to that primary goal.  I truly believe he sees players in the same way he sees workers in his various publishing firms, as easily-replaced common laborers who haven't taken the risks he has and therefore deserve only minimum rewards. 

Until he actually spends like a legitimate MLB owner in pursuit of a title, I'll never believe he'll do it.  His words about spending when the time is right are worthless.

Spot on.

Top 15 Payrolls don't guarantee titles, or anything else.

But, failing to have a Top 15 payroll does.  It all but guarantees that you will not win the title.

The Braves are the lowest payroll team still in the playoffs.  $147m.  That's the going rate these days, and it isn't going down. 

The key is to take that, and figure the best guys around those figures.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I think we all know the drill.

We know what BOB does. We know what BOB's going to do.

We also know what WE are going to do. We'll still watch and follow the club, and some will go to games.

So, the question are- How much does it matter to BOB to provide a championship-worthy club?

How much doees it matter to the region's fans and sponsors that he doesn't?

BellevueBuc

Post by BellevueBuc »

474245434B4158454C5F59542D0 wrote: Criticism like this would have been more sensible after the 2015 season when he did nothing and not during a season which they were deliberately tanking in order to get a big draft pick.

Amen.