Quintana

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Quintana

Post by Ecbucs »

0A1A1B2C3A3A36590 wrote: No, big difference.

The White Sox are clearly rebuilding.  The Pirates are not.  I also don't think the Pirates were openly shopping McCutchen to get rid of him.

More like we are status quo, if anything.  You make it sound like we are a contender.  I feel there was strong enough smoke to suggest that the Bucs were shopping him.  I'm actually think you are NH or his agent.

Cutch knows that for the Pirates to contend he is going to have to rebound. Otherwise the Bucs will be also rans (unless others take big steps forward).
Quail

Quintana

Post by Quail »

The White Sox can afford to be patient. Very patient. They don't need to unload Quintana. If they want a treasure trove of prospects for him, and teams aren't currently offering what the White Sox feel is adequate they can wait.

If he gets off to a great start in 2017 (and given his past performance this is more likely than not) his value will increase and the chances of getting a better return increases. If he doesn't start well they have 4 more years to shop him for the return they're looking to receive.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Quintana

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

44545562747478170 wrote: No, big difference.

The White Sox are clearly rebuilding.  The Pirates are not.  I also don't think the Pirates were openly shopping McCutchen to get rid of him.

More like we are status quo, if anything.  You make it sound like we are a contender.  I feel there was strong enough smoke to suggest that the Bucs were shopping him.  I'm actually think you are NH or his agent.

Well, I am not Huntington or his agent. He did say he wasn't "shopping" him. But people don't like to believe the Pirates GM in some instances.

Yes, I think they can and will contend. They certainly aren't rebuilding, like the White Sox.
dmetz

Quintana

Post by dmetz »

MLB.com has Glasnow as the #1 pitching prospect in baseball.   Has his changeup rated at a 50.   Other pirates writers seem to think it's non-existent to raw. Last year, it was said that he barely threw it.

Who is wrong and who is right?
fjk090852-7

Quintana

Post by fjk090852-7 »

We will probably find out soon who is right and who is wrong. Once he takes the mound in spring training games we will find out if he has developed a change up. I hope he has because last year at this time he was a player many of us felt was one of the young strong pitchers to go along with Cole and Taillon.
Bobster21

Quintana

Post by Bobster21 »

58515948463C0 wrote: MLB.com has Glasnow as the #1 pitching prospect in baseball.   Has his changeup rated at a 50.   Other pirates writers seem to think it's non-existent to raw. Last year, it was said that he barely threw it.

Who is wrong and who is right?
I tend to believe the local sources more. They probably have more access to the Pirates. But I think it's significant that MLB.com rates Glasnow as the #1 prospect. But the key word is "prospect." He hasn't demonstrated the ability to succeed yet (as Taillon and, to an extent, Kuhl have already done.) I hope Glasnow stays in AAA until he masters all his pitches, improves his control and learns to hold runners better. At that point he should become a real asset to the Pirates. But in the meantime, they can't afford unnecessary losses that will haunt them at the end of the season when they are struggling to get a WC spot.
dmetz

Quintana

Post by dmetz »

Well he's #1 because they rated his changeup a 50, which is major league average. Had it been rated a 35 or 40 (developing pitch), he wouldn't have scored out in the top 10.

That's the reason why I brought up their rating on his changeup. It's what made him #1
UtahPirate

Quintana

Post by UtahPirate »

There are a bunch of articles about Glasnow's new change-up grip:

http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/1196 ... h-changeup

Sounds like what Possum would call a "palm-ball." I think the important thing is Glasnow's confidence in his new grip and the fact it feels comfortable to him. Not sure that it affects his 50 rating already, but obviously a lot of eyes (outside of the Bucs) are on him.

I'm sure he'll throw it a bunch in ST. So we are sure to see how it plays soon enough.
fjk090852-7

Quintana

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Dave Guisti had a heck of a palm ball so if Glasnow's is as good as Guisti's we may have a very good pitcher and we won't miss Quintana.
Bobster21

Quintana

Post by Bobster21 »

4362777E467F64776273160 wrote: There are a bunch of articles about Glasnow's new change-up grip:

http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/1196 ... h-changeup

Sounds like what Possum would call a "palm-ball." I think the important thing is Glasnow's confidence in his new grip and the fact it feels comfortable to him. Not sure that it affects his 50 rating already, but obviously a lot of eyes (outside of the Bucs) are on him.

I'm sure he'll throw it a bunch in ST. So we are sure to see how it plays soon enough.
Kent Tekulve said his change up was his fastball held back in the palm. And of course Giusti had his palm ball. I was a little surprised that Glasnow hadn't been taught (or mastered) that sooner.