Deal with Yanks getting close?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

684548595E4F58181B2A0 wrote: Cole has had 3 good seasons and then 2 not very good seasons. Who knows if he'll ever approach his 2015 performance again. And he'll be worse in the AL because of the DH. A team trading for him is taking a chance, not knowing if he'll ever again be better than average. I don't expect someone's best prospects for him. Good prospects? Yes. Best? No. I don't even think it'll hurt the Pirates much to trade him. Williams and Nova even had better ERAs and Kuhl and Taillon weren't far behind.   

I don't think it will hurt much at all to deal him.  The problem is who comes in the rotation.  IMO, we need a starter regardless if Cole is still here.  Not a Chad Kuhl fan in the rotation.  Nova looked like a Cy Young Award candidate after he was traded here.  He started out 2017 strong.  Then fell apart.  Do we trust Glasnow?  Do we get some retread like Jaime Garcia?

I have been steadfast saying Cole's value shouldn't be the moon.  Your comments are spot on.  Last year was horrid; the year before was eh ... he was last good in 2015?  Here is the problem.  Despite this, he is the biggest trade chip NH has.  Cutch brings back nothing.  If he trades Rivero, I'm not sure that brings back the moon, even though it should.  Do you get a Chapman return after one year on him?

There is a danger in keeping him for 2018. This is the second offseason you have heard his name in off season trade banter. They seem to be really trying to move him. He very might be looking forward to the change of scenery. Bring him back, he might be disappointed. Last year wasn't good. What does a disappointed Cole bring in 2018? I think his value is higher now than at the trade deadline.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

5E405643545F370 wrote: Just an interesting side note- the New York Post (no idea of its quality, reliability, or if some guy named Everrett just makes this stuff up and prints from his basement) had an article explaining how the Yankees control these deals, like Sonny Gray, getting them to work in their favor. It was suggesting that eventually the Yankees will compel the Pirates to take a lesser value for Cole. I found that interesting.

That's what I always read and heard about the Yankees. Also why this possible deal is interesting to me. I bet many teams/GMs are cheering for the Pirates here.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Here is the ESPN version of the Post story --

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york/yanke ... he-bombers

Sounds like the Yankees want to add the Cole trade as a footnote to this story. Apparently their top three prospects are off limits.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

Unless the Astros are getting involved, I take a package of Frazier + and be done with it. We aren't getting Torres for Cole. It would be great but not happening. I would take Frazier and see what I could get for Polanco.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

67657F796F0A0 wrote: Here is the ESPN version of the Post story --

Sounds like the Yankees want to add the Cole trade as a footnote to this story. Apparently their top three prospects are off limits.

After reading that story I find it really incredible that they're making such a big deal about how Cashman turned the Yankees around in two years.

I mean, is the writer aware that Cashman didn't trade for Felipe Rivero?

How can Cashman even be considered a good GM?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

6163797F690C0 wrote: Here is the ESPN version of the Post story --

Who is the third? Sheffield?
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

I like the article below by Olney. It is saying that high payroll teams are not going after mid-level free agents.

If the Bucs were willing they could sign somebody better than their usual retreads.

Unfortunately, unless these guys fall into the Freese price range the Bucs are probably out of the picture.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

664041564050230 wrote: I like the article below by Olney.  It is saying that high payroll teams are not going after mid-level free agents.

If the Bucs were willing they could sign somebody better than their usual retreads. 

Unfortunately, unless these guys fall into the Freese price range the Bucs are probably out of the picture.
It certainly looks like this would be the year to go get someone that they normally wouldn't be able to afford. If they would stop handing out Hudson type deals for retreads and actually pool the money for a real upgrade its possible.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

This team frustrates me to no end. I actually think a trade centered on Frazier would be a good return for Cole.

Didn't the Yankees get Torres for renting Chapman to the Cubs for two and a half months? And then got Chapman back? Yeah...MLB has a level playing field. Whatever.

Regardless, I would trade Cole, trade Cutch, Harrison, anybody and everybody not named Bell, Taillon, and Rivero. Rivero, in my mind, has more value as a deadline deal (ala Chapman for Torres). Sickening that the Yankees can pull a trade like that off.

And yes, this year, mid level FAs are not getting the looks that they otherwise might. A cost-controlled pitcher like Cole should have major, major value in this market. Ironically, I wonder if some teams are looking at McCutchen like he's overpaid? He's "only" set to make, what, $14.5 million next year? But, for his production what it is now, not what it was in 2013 when he was the MVP, teams may look at that and think it's not worth it, especially as more teams are trying to avoid the luxury tax. Maybe NH should offer to eat some of Cutch's salary?

NH: "Bob, look...we need to trade McCutchen. We have a deal in place, but we need to eat $5 million of his salary? We good to go with that?

BN: ;D ;D ;D
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Bill Brink of the Post-Gazette wrote an article that the Yankees offered Detroit (Fuller) and Tampa Bay (Archer) the same offer they offered the Pirates for Cole and it was turned down.

Believe want you want as this is becoming a circus. It seems like the Yankees aren't offering anything.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pira ... 1712220175