Quintana

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

notes34

Quintana

Post by notes34 »

7D7F656375100 wrote: I doubt he will be with them in the long term, but I could see them looking again at the trade deadline. Teams are desperate then, which usually means nice offers.
Yep they certainly don't have to move him right now. I expect someone will overpay at the deadline.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Quintana

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

He would have to feel like a lame duck if he starts the season with the White Sox. I would want traded if I was him.
Aaron

Quintana

Post by Aaron »

555E565A5F5E450006714850595E5E1F525E310 wrote: He would have to feel like a lame duck if he starts the season with the White Sox.  I would want traded if I was him. 

How would you feel if you were Andrew McCutchen?

Would you feel like a lame duck and want to be traded if you were him?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Quintana

No, big difference.

The White Sox are clearly rebuilding. The Pirates are not. I also don't think the Pirates were openly shopping McCutchen to get rid of him.
OrlandoMerced

Quintana

Post by OrlandoMerced »

2C2E343224410 wrote: I doubt he will be with them in the long term, but I could see them looking again at the trade deadline. Teams are desperate then, which usually means nice offers.

I disagree, although I agree with the logic. In practice, I think teams are less likely to give up huge prospect hauls for deadline deals. For one, only a handful of teams are looking to make big acquisitions, and then for those teams, being contenders, no player making significant contributions are available. So I think other constraints come into play that limit the packages that are offered.
notes34

Quintana

Post by notes34 »

4A7769646B616A486077666061050 wrote: I doubt he will be with them in the long term, but I could see them looking again at the trade deadline. Teams are desperate then, which usually means nice offers.

I disagree, although I agree with the logic.  In practice, I think teams are less likely to give up huge prospect hauls for deadline deals.  For one, only a handful of teams are looking to make big acquisitions, and then for those teams, being contenders, no player making significant contributions are available.  So I think other constraints come into play that limit the packages that are offered.
But in this case the Sox are looking for top prospects. That doesn't mean they are necessarily already contributing at the MLB level. I would think a large haul of prospects could definitely be had at the deadline.

notes34

Quintana

Post by notes34 »

78737B777273682D2B5C657D747373327F731C0 wrote: No, big difference.

The White Sox are clearly rebuilding.  The Pirates are not.  I also don't think the Pirates were openly shopping McCutchen to get rid of him.
No difference at all. His name was still being tossed out there on a daily basis as being connected to several different teams. If you really believe he wasn't being shopped? Well ;)
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Quintana

The difference is being the only top player left on a team that is rebuilding. That isn't the case with McCutchen.

Many players get their names thrown out there. That doesn't mean their current team is actually calling other teams about making a deal. Sure, they are listening. Every team listens.
SammyKhalifa

Quintana

Post by SammyKhalifa »

41405B4A5C1C1B2F0 wrote: I doubt he will be with them in the long term, but I could see them looking again at the trade deadline. Teams are desperate then, which usually means nice offers.

I disagree, although I agree with the logic.  In practice, I think teams are less likely to give up huge prospect hauls for deadline deals.  For one, only a handful of teams are looking to make big acquisitions, and then for those teams, being contenders, no player making significant contributions are available.  So I think other constraints come into play that limit the packages that are offered.
But in this case the Sox are looking for top prospects. That doesn't mean they are necessarily already contributing at the MLB level. I would think a large haul of prospects could definitely be had at the deadline.

Makes sense to a point, but you have fewer potential customers than you do during the offseason, a time when more teams believe they're "in it" if they can make a deal. There's also a drop dead deadline and less time to work out a deal.
SCBucco

Quintana

Post by SCBucco »

3A31393530312A6F691E273F363131703D315E0 wrote: No, big difference.

The White Sox are clearly rebuilding.  The Pirates are not.  I also don't think the Pirates were openly shopping McCutchen to get rid of him.

More like we are status quo, if anything.  You make it sound like we are a contender.  I feel there was strong enough smoke to suggest that the Bucs were shopping him.  I'm actually think you are NH or his agent.