Spring Training Baseball

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Spring Training Baseball

Post by Bobster21 »

616670787661262A53747E727A7F3D707C7E130 wrote: This is in the departed thread above but guessing a lot of people will miss this: Pedro was optioned to AAA by O's. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he failed to show up.
He signed a minor league contract with the understanding he would work on becoming an outfielder in AAA. So the option was expected.
rucker59@gmail.com

Spring Training Baseball

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

123F32232435226261500 wrote: This is in the departed thread above but guessing a lot of people will miss this: Pedro was optioned to AAA by O's. 

He signed a minor league contract with the understanding he would work on becoming an outfielder in AAA. So the option was expected.

Interesting. I did see him listed as an IF/OF and was wondering about the OF; I have no knowledge oh him ever playing in the OF.
SammyKhalifa

Spring Training Baseball

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I can't see how he'd possibly be able to deal with the OF at this point, but we'll see I guess. Low risk from the Os to give it a try.
Bobster21

Spring Training Baseball

Post by Bobster21 »

6D6A7C747A6D2A265F78727E7673317C70721F0 wrote: This is in the departed thread above but guessing a lot of people will miss this: Pedro was optioned to AAA by O's. 

Interesting.  I did see him listed as an IF/OF and was wondering about the OF; I have no knowledge oh him ever playing in the OF.

I don't believe he did until ST this year. The Orioles want Trumbo to primarily DH this year and don't need Pedro unless he can do more than PH. They have Davis at 1B and Machado at 3B. They tried Pedro at 3B a few times last year when Machado was filling in at SS for Hardy but Pedro made 4 errors in 6 games. Pedro was a very late signing this year because apparently his defensive liabilities scared everyone off and AL teams are moving more towards DHs who can fill in at other positions. Pedro agreed to try the OF in AAA as a stipulation for signing (a minor league contract) with Baltimore.

The Orioles were basically happy with Pedro's hitting as a LH platoon DH in 2016. He gave them 22 HRs and 49 RBIs in 337 ABs. As opposed to the Pirates, where he was expected to be a key cog in the offense, with Baltimore he was almost an afterthought on a team of sluggers. Whatever they got from him was gravy. It was a low pressure situation. But the downside was that he was unnecessary to that offense and now there is no place for him unless he can be of some use other than pinch-hitting or giving Trumbo an occasional day off at DH.
IABucFan

Spring Training Baseball

Post by IABucFan »

Looking ahead to Monday, cause, why not...I'm wondering who will DH. Some possibilities:

Bell-seems the obvious choice as the weakest defender of the starting eight.

Osuna-doesn't mess with Bell's ego on day 1

Frazier-probably the best candidate to lead off

But, I'm going to throw a darkhorse name out there...Polanco. It sounds like he is hitting in Florida, just can't throw. Don't know if they'd be willing to let him hit in an actual game situation, but you don't really need a strong left fielder at Fenway anyway. Manny Ramirez played there for years as nothing more than a statue with the glove. Left at Fenway is like right at PNC. In my mind, if Polanco can swing without issue, it makes sense to DH him and start Hanson or Harrison in left. But, given that this is only the first three of 162, and against an AL team anyway, I could also see them sitting Polanco the first part of the season.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Spring Training Baseball

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Good idea about Polanco being the DH. I didn't think of that.

I still think Frazier is going to go to the outfield over Harrison. Does this mean you start Bell at first base?