2024 Official Spring Training Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Re: 2024 Official Spring Training Thread

Post by Surgnbuck »

Doc wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:26 am
fjk090852-7 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:18 am Peguero has been sent to AAA. I am very surprised he has been sent to the Minors and it appears Williams will break camp next week.
Sounds like Triolo has won the 2nd base job and they want Peggy to play SS everyday in Indy. This means they’re simply stashing Williams away in Pittsburgh, where he’s likely not going to ever see the field and will just serve in an emergency if Cruz or Triolo suffer an in-game injury, and where he won’t take time away from either Peggy or Gonzales in Indy. It’s probably a smart move in that the four remaining middle infielders will play everyday and Williams is out of the way, but handy if there’s a problem.
I don't get sending Jose Hernandez down. Obviously, having options has much to do with it. I'm guessing the Pirates are hoping Contreras 3K outing the other day is the beginning of his climb back to effectiveness. He was out of options.

I thought there would be enough time for Peguero, Triolo, and Cruz. But looking at it another way, didn't a lot of us keep complaining about the lineups changing everyday, all the "rest" players were getting? Williams looks like he'll be relegated to late inning defense, and the Sunday start situation. Could it mean that Shelton might actually play his best lineup more often than not?

They still have to make a decision on Bae yet. He's no great loss to me if he was disposed of. He's not a good defender, and he doesn't get on base enough to be effective using his speed, unless he's just used as a pinch runner.
Dutton

Post by Dutton »

Alika Williams will be a late inning defensive sub for Cruz.

Hernandez leaves to make room for Fleming, who was out of options like Falter but hasn't sucked like Falter.

3 guys leave the 40-man: Ali Sanchez, Colin Selby and Bailey Falter. 3 guys are added: Chase Anderson and (I hope) Jared Jones, and Honeywell, with apologies to Hunter Stratton and Billy McKinney.

Priester goes to Indy if I'm right about Jones and Anderson. Luis Ortiz also starts out at Indy.

We may not be a great team, but we are deep!
PooperScooper !

Post by PooperScooper ! »

I havent paid any attention to ST . To avoid placing some stupid bets...lol

Going to catch up in next few days.. Did they cut Bae ?
Doc

Post by Doc »

Surgnbuck wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 am
Doc wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:26 am
fjk090852-7 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:18 am Peguero has been sent to AAA. I am very surprised he has been sent to the Minors and it appears Williams will break camp next week.
Sounds like Triolo has won the 2nd base job and they want Peggy to play SS everyday in Indy. This means they’re simply stashing Williams away in Pittsburgh, where he’s likely not going to ever see the field and will just serve in an emergency if Cruz or Triolo suffer an in-game injury, and where he won’t take time away from either Peggy or Gonzales in Indy. It’s probably a smart move in that the four remaining middle infielders will play everyday and Williams is out of the way, but handy if there’s a problem.
I don't get sending Jose Hernandez down. Obviously, having options has much to do with it. I'm guessing the Pirates are hoping Contreras 3K outing the other day is the beginning of his climb back to effectiveness. He was out of options.

I thought there would be enough time for Peguero, Triolo, and Cruz. But looking at it another way, didn't a lot of us keep complaining about the lineups changing everyday, all the "rest" players were getting? Williams looks like he'll be relegated to late inning defense, and the Sunday start situation. Could it mean that Shelton might actually play his best lineup more often than not?

They still have to make a decision on Bae yet. He's no great loss to me if he was disposed of. He's not a good defender, and he doesn't get on base enough to be effective using his speed, unless he's just used as a pinch runner.
That's what it seems like to me. Tryouts are over. Resting guys constantly is over. Time to be a major league team.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The Pirates have released Chase Anderson. I am going to assume Jones has made the team.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:22 pm The Pirates have released Chase Anderson. I am going to assume Jones has made the team.
That comes as a shock to me. I thought he pitched well enough to make the team. Maybe it's his age, maybe it's the no options thing. Maybe it's like often, we're not really seeing what they're seeing.

I hope this one doesn't come back to bite them. I was pretty impressed with him. I wonder if there might be some injury thing in this.

Edited to add: Where did you get this info? They show him starting today's game against Boston.
Javy

Post by Javy »

Surgnbuck wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:03 pm
fjk090852-7 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:22 pm The Pirates have released Chase Anderson. I am going to assume Jones has made the team.
That comes as a shock to me. I thought he pitched well enough to make the team. Maybe it's his age, maybe it's the no options thing. Maybe it's like often, we're not really seeing what they're seeing.

I hope this one doesn't come back to bite them. I was pretty impressed with him. I wonder if there might be some injury thing in this.

Edited to add: Where did you get this info? They show him starting today's game against Boston.
I've not seen where they released him, but MLB Trade Rumors had it that he was going to choose to opt out of his contract by the Friday deadline. Possibly, he was told he would not make the final roster and he was going to exercise that option in an effort to catch on elsewhere?

www.mlbtraderumors.com/pittsburgh-pirates

Edit: This has changed and the article states they have released him
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

They have Jones listed as the starter now. Looks like he's gone as you said.
3pirates3

Post by 3pirates3 »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:22 pm The Pirates have released Chase Anderson.
https://twitter.com/ChrisCotillo/status ... 6084693270
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Surgnbuck wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:50 pm They have Jones listed as the starter now. Looks like he's gone as you said.
After this afternoon’s game, I would pencil in Jones as one of the Pirates starting pitchers. I am hoping Ortiz wins the other spot, but they may want to try Falter for a couple more starts to see if he can put together a few good starts.