Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Kang to miss the start of spring training

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Well that's true. And probably a personal counselor/advisor/whatever
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

Wonder if Nutting contributed to Trump's campaign.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

45777B7B6F5D7E777A7F7077160 wrote: Still don't know how to feel about this. 

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pira ... 1490887485

Pirates believe they can get Jung Ho Kang a visa

I am for bringing him over here if Coonelly's experience with the same problem can actually help Kang get on the other side of this.  IMO, Kang should give up alcohol completely and find some other way to spend his off hours.  You can't drive drunk if you don't drink at all. 

It's not so much the issue itself, or the punishment, or whether he's a "Good Guy" or not that bothers me.  It's the idea that he's getting treated using different rules than you or I (or some random anonymous Korean engineering student) would just because he's rich and important and special. 

I know that that's just the way things work, but it doesn't mean I have to like it or support it. 

The rich and famous always get preferential treatment. Look how fast Kent Tekulve got a new heart. He was one of my favorite players, but it still kind-of bummed me out. One of my great uncles was on a list for years for a heart and died without ever getting one. Maybe that was just bad luck, but they found Kent a heart super fast.

dmetz

Post by dmetz »

If for no other reason, the visa consideration will be granted because of the tax dollars generated by a millionaire working and paying taxes in the US.

Just hope it happens immediately and Kang gets in here.
BenM

Post by BenM »

717870616F150 wrote: If for no other reason, the visa consideration will be granted because of the tax dollars generated by a millionaire working and paying taxes in the US.

The alternative is his terms of probation could keep him out. He's paid the fine, but his "sentence" hasn't been fully served. It's totally reasonable for US officials to keep out someone who has repeatedly broken the law in his home country. Especially since any further wrongdoing could put him back in the Korean justice system.
BenM

Post by BenM »

It's been three weeks since Kang's visa was denied and two weeks since Coonley said that the information the team was providing would help get him one.

As far as I can tell, there has been no news since then. I'm leaning towards "no news is not good news" in this case.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Ulp! mlbtr has a note saying the Pirates hope to send Kang a special pitching machine that shoots ML level fastballs and spins for ML level curves. That doesn't sound like the expect him getting on a plane anytime soon.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5F5D474157320 wrote: Ulp! mlbtr has a note saying the Pirates hope to send Kang a special pitching machine that shoots ML level fastballs and spins for ML level curves. That doesn't sound like the expect him getting on a plane anytime soon.
No, but it also sounds like they want him to be ready.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

If he ever gets the visa to enter the States he will at least need a two to three week stay with one of the minor league teams to get into game shape. I don't expect to see him very soon.