Spring Training Baseball

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Spring Training Baseball

Post by Bobster21 »

616A626E6B6A713432457C646D6A6A2B666A050 wrote: I am sure there is more to it than just ERA and batting average against. Who did each pitcher face, any balls that should have been fielded that weren't, working on pitches, etc. 

I would send Hutchison and Williams north with the team.  See who is working well behind the scenes, in the bullpen.  That 5th starter might not be used to start the first week.  Or if the Pirates start off hot and sweep the Red Sox, starting one might not be a bad idea.

Don't forget that we have seen pitchers with bad springs have good seasons and vice versa.  One of the reasons I am not too worried, the talent is there among the four guys.
I agree that stats don't tell the whole story. But when they are divergent as these, it makes one take notice. Williams and Brault are close enough that the stats alone probably don't tell the whole story. But Hutchison and Glasnow are so far opposite not only in ERA and BAA but also in H/IP and WHIP and Williams has shown far better control than the rest. I've predicted all along that Hutchison gets the job regardless. And Hurdle's "inability" to distinguish a favorite despite the glaring differences in performance fits that scenario.
UtahPirate

Spring Training Baseball

Post by UtahPirate »

1B363B2A2D3C2B6B68590 wrote:

Stats show:

Williams: 2.63 ER, 12 hits in 13.2 IP, 2 BB, 12 Ks, .245 BAA and 1.02 WHIP.

Brault: 3.45 ERA, 16 hits in 15.2 IP, 5 BB, 8 Ks, .271 BAA and 1.34 WHIP.

Glasnow: 5.65 ERA, 19 hits in 14.1 IP, 6 BB, 23 Ks, .306 BAA and 1.74 WHIP.

Hutchison: 7.41 ERA, 23 hits in 17 IP, 7 BB, 15 Ks, .329 BAA and 1.76 WHIP.

Josh Linblom 0.00 ERA, 5 hits in 9 IP, 1 BB, 7 Ks, .161 BAA and .067 WHIP.

By stats alone, the winner of the fifth starting spot is ...

... the starter of today's ST game, Josh Linblom.

With all that goes on, I'm not sure as fans we can trust any spring stats. We don't know what happens on other practice fields. We don't know how pitchers look in trying to command new grips or pitches. We do have some indication with ST starts, but can we tell what that pitcher has been asked to work on in that game? I've seen us, as fans, be wrong too many times to not trust the coaches, who I firmly believe are trying to do the right thing for the PBC. If the opinion of this board was right, SRod would have been released last year after hitting a paltry .172 in spring and not being that great the year before. Let's let a few weeks of the regular season play out before we cast too many players under the proverbial bus.
johnfluharty

Spring Training Baseball

Post by johnfluharty »

0322373E063F24372233560 wrote:

Oops!
mouse

Spring Training Baseball

Post by mouse »

He sure didn't look good. The radio announcers were saying he didn't look like he wanted to be out there today. Can't blame him after that first inning.

We get Phillies games on TV in this area so I was happy to see today's game on their network.
UtahPirate

Spring Training Baseball

Post by UtahPirate »

232621272F253C21283B3D30490 wrote:

Oops!

If you took me seriously you missed my point. The next sentence is:

"With all that goes on, I'm not sure as fans we can trust any spring stats."

I'm hardly a proponent of Linblom -- or of the fact that we as fans know what we're talking about when it comes to what happens during spring. Read the rest of the post and if I don't make that point, let me know and I'll try again.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Spring Training Baseball

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

There are years where we know going into Spring Training if there is a true battle for a position or not. I don't know if that occurred this year or not for the 5th spot.

If there was and only Spring Training stats matter, Williams or Brault gets the nod. But if there was not a true one, then the extra work on the side or past experience could make the decision. I still feel Glasnow was a long shot no matter what he did to save his service time and to work on his two major flaws in live action that matters.
Bobster21

Spring Training Baseball

Post by Bobster21 »

I think it's significant that Hutchsion-despite 74 MLB starts-has never proven to be an effective pitcher. Williams, Brault and Glasnow are in the same boat, just with less experience. I hope the "competition" is legit and not just a dog and pony show in which Hutchison will "win" in order to save face after the controversial trade that brought him here. ST stats can be misleading since it's a SSS and pitchers may be experimenting. But it's hard to ignore that whatever Hutchison is doing is not working and what he previously did in Toronto was also ineffective. But Hurdle cannot find a standout despite Williams and Brault being far more effective than Hutchison and Glasnow. That worries me.
johnfluharty

Spring Training Baseball

Post by johnfluharty »

5273666F576E75667362070 wrote:

Oops!

If you took me seriously you missed my point. The next sentence is:

"With all that goes on, I'm not sure as fans we can trust any spring stats."

I'm hardly a proponent of Linblom -- or of the fact that we as fans know what we're talking about when it comes to what happens during spring. Read the rest of the post and if I don't make that point, let me know and I'll try again.

Nah, just found it amusing that he got clubbed the same day.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Spring Training Baseball

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

7B565B4A4D5C4B0B08390 wrote: I think it's significant that Hutchsion-despite 74 MLB starts-has never proven to be an effective pitcher. Williams, Brault and Glasnow are in the same boat, just with less experience. I hope the "competition" is legit and not just a dog and pony show in which Hutchison will "win" in order to save face after the controversial trade that brought him here. ST stats can be misleading since it's a SSS and pitchers may be experimenting. But it's hard to ignore that whatever Hutchison is doing is not working and what he previously did in Toronto was also ineffective. But Hurdle cannot find a standout despite Williams and Brault being far more effective than Hutchison and Glasnow. That worries me. 

It sounds like if Hutchison is named the 5th starter, you won't believe anything the management team says in their reasoning because you didn't like the trade?
fjk090852-7

Spring Training Baseball

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Possibly Brault will be named the number 5 starting pitcher and Hutchison will begin the season in the bullpen. It sounds a little like Huntington may want to bring two of the pitchers fighting for the number 5 slot north when they open the season.