Kang to miss the start of spring training

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

notes34

Post by notes34 »

I can't fault the Pirates handling of this situation. I think we will see Harrison slide over to 3rd and Frazier playing some 2nd. The loss of Kang's power bat will be hard to replace, but nobody they were going to sign this offseason was going to make up for it.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I wonder if Hanson gets time at second. He certainly has the range for the spot and may well be as good (or better) than Frazier on defense, and that would keep Frazier freed up to be that super utility role.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

3B39232533560 wrote: I wonder if Hanson gets time at second. He certainly has the range for the spot and may well be as good (or better) than Frazier on defense, and that would keep Frazier freed up to be that super utility role.
Frazier already has super utility role. Freese should get the bulk of PT at 3B and Harrison at 2B. They probably won't overwork Freese but he did start 105 games last year. I'm guessing Harrison gets the 2nd most starts at 3B. That would give Frazier some ABs at 2B. Frazier could also make a few starts at 3B. Hanson may get a few starts at 2B, 3B and SS but might be mainly a defensive replacement unless he shows he can hit, which Frazier has already done.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

It was hinted that Harrison might play some 3B. I am just not sure how likely that will turn out. Harrison is probably the best fielder for 2B and 3B, so it might come down to where is Frazier or Hanson better to play.

Frazier did play SS in spring training. I doubt Hanson will start at SS for the Pirates. Gosselin is probably in front of him as well for SS. What position do the Pirates weaken defensively will be the question.

(I find it funny that I criticize the front office and people still don't agree with me. I couldn't imagine myself not knowing the details with Kang if I was in that front office. I would be on the phone twice a day (at least) getting information. The Pirates better have more resources than we do as fans. I certainly hope there is Pirates' personnel in Korea with Kang right now.)
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Still don't know how to feel about this. 

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pira ... 1490887485

Pirates believe they can get Jung Ho Kang a visa
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

5C6E62627644676E6366696E0F0 wrote: Still don't know how to feel about this. 

I am for bringing him over here if Coonelly's experience with the same problem can actually help Kang get on the other side of this. IMO, Kang should give up alcohol completely and find some other way to spend his off hours. You can't drive drunk if you don't drink at all.

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

3E3B3C3A3238213C3526202D540 wrote: Still don't know how to feel about this. 

I am for bringing him over here if Coonelly's experience with the same problem can actually help Kang get on the other side of this.  IMO, Kang should give up alcohol completely and find some other way to spend his off hours.  You can't drive drunk if you don't drink at all. 

It's not so much the issue itself, or the punishment, or whether he's a "Good Guy" or not that bothers me.  It's the idea that he's getting treated using different rules than you or I (or some random anonymous Korean engineering student) would just because he's rich and important and special. 

I know that that's just the way things work, but it doesn't mean I have to like it or support it. 
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Do you think he should be fined more because he makes more money?

I didn't read the article (couldn't - locked). How is he getting special treatment?

He was allowed over to the states with two DUIs. Is there a limit on that?
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I certainly don't know for sure. But it seems like the US Gov didn't want to give him a VISA, then have a talk to the Pirates (and I'm sure their army of lawyers) and suddenly think it might be an okay idea after all.

Would an average Korean citizen be given the same treatment? Like I said I have no idea but it "feels" like maybe not.
iabucco

Post by iabucco »

I have no knowledge but would think that certain things trigger a stop with a work visa that it would be a fairly common practice for the employer to check the reason is and if there is an appeal process for the decision. In this instance, is there a chance for the employer to say we have a driver hired to bring this person to work and this person does not have a license and will not be driving?