2024 Official Spring Training Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

UtahPirate2

Re: 2024 Official Spring Training Thread

Post by UtahPirate2 »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:35 pm Not sure what others think, but these 2 signings has given me more confidence about the Pirates upcoming season. With the young players like Skenes and Jones, and then you include Lauer, German, and possibly even Anderson to the existing group this team won’t be playing the final two months of the season with only two starting pitchers. Taylor has improved the outfield defense tremendously. If the Pirates can avoid a devastating injury like last season’s injury to Cruz, they are going to be playing meaningful games late this season.
I was already feeling pretty good about the year, not great, but good. Watched the Spring Breakout game, know we are somehow leading in HRs for ST, and have really liked the recent signings (I think the Lauer is a sneaky good addition) as we now have greater pitching depth and better CF defense which were both high high priorities. Play .500 till the All-Star break and then let the magic happen! I am drinking deep draughts of Bucco Kool-Aid right now. This year just feels different!
Javy

Post by Javy »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:41 pm After reading about German's off field problems ( assaulting his girlfriend, Being intoxicated and fighting with coaches etc.)
I will be anxious to read what Surg has to say!!
Quite surprised about the German signing, after reading that the Pirates were not interested in signing Pham or Bauer because of character concerns. We shall see how this plays out. German obviously has talent, can't deny that. Hopefully, whatever treatment he underwent helps him over his personal problems that resulted in his availability.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

With the signing of Taylor, obviously someone(s) know their time is waning.

Has anyone noticed how Celestino has quietly had a fantastic ST so far? And it's not all against "B" team competition. A favorite of mine to be a sleeper, McKinney, is also tearing it up. He's also played some first base too.

It always helps to be on the 40 man roster, but guys like Bae, Palacios, Joe, Williams, and Olivares have to be looking over their shoulders right now. Olivares was acquired for basically nothing. Despite his good numbers in KC, I don't think for a moment the Pirates wouldn't trade him for some relief pitching help, or any of those other guys.

With Moreta basically gone for most if not all of the season, the Pirates need to bring in some more arms to try to use as bullpen arms, which is the perceived strength of the team.

Just how I'm seeing it. Though he's doing okay this spring, I think Nick Gonzales will be on his way out too.

I know you can't always go by ST stats, and that's what most of us have to go on. We might see the guy for a couple AB's and a few inning here and there on the televised games. So I understand, it's not the end all be all.

But when you bring in a guy like a McKinney and a Celestino, and they're vastly outplaying guys who are on the fringe end of the 40 man roster as it is, that's how you build a more competitive team, with guys who showed their mettle during competition.

As it stands, it's good to see Suwinski, McCutchen, Davis, Hayes, Cruz, Triolo, Peguero all having good springs. Add in Termarr Johnson and Tsung Che Cheng also enjoying excellent ST so far, the pipeline is looking pretty good. Which is also bad news for those guys I listed above.

I haven't even touched on how Carter Bins is doing at catcher, and how that could shake up that game on the 40 man also.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Josh Fleming looked fairly good today, and since he is on the roster I am going to think he breaks camp with the Pirates. Falter has not looked very good, and I wonder if he will get designated for assignment, or packaged in a trade. I think we can all pick the top 3 starting pitchers and 5 bullpen members provided no one is injured. The final 5 pitchers to come north might be difficult to pick. There could be as many as 3 non roster pitchers joining the 26 man roster.
Carolina Bucco

Post by Carolina Bucco »

I knew when the Pirates sent Skenes to the minors they would say he needs to "check some boxes" before he returns.

So BC is basically saying that "the best pitcher in our system BY A MILE needs to go to the minors to check boxes."

I continue to wish the Pirates would leave him alone, stick him in the rotation and NOT screw him up mentally or physically the way we have screwed up so many other pitchers over the years. That is my plea.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Tellez and Cruz with 3 run HR's so far today.

I really hope the offense keeps clicking when the season starts in Miami.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Surgnbuck wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:05 pm Tellez and Cruz with 3 run HR's so far today.

Cruz with 2 HRs, 6 RBIs.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Bobster wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:57 pm
Surgnbuck wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:05 pm Tellez and Cruz with 3 run HR's so far today.

Cruz with 2 HRs, 6 RBIs.
Another error too! 7 HR's 5 errors.
Martin Perez with an excellent outing today, 0ER and 0.75 ERA for the Spring. The lineup he faced missed only Harper as far as Philly's big guns.

Contreras goes 1.2 IP, striking out everyone that he got out, but 3 BB and 2 hits
JollyRoger8

Post by JollyRoger8 »

Bobster wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:57 pm

Cruz with 2 HRs, 6 RBIs.
All I can say is get Cruz signed to a long term contract ASAP!!