Spring Training Baseball

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

ChitownBucco

Spring Training Baseball

Post by ChitownBucco »

70424E4E5A684B424F4A4542230 wrote: I know ST stats aren't anything, but I noticed that Frankie has struck out 18 in his 9.2 innings.  Wonder if he'd be in the competition for our fifth starter spot. 

better than Nicasio's 24K's and 0 ER's in 15 innings LAST spring!!!!

Bobster21

Spring Training Baseball

Post by Bobster21 »

7D56574A5149507C4B5D5D513E0 wrote: I know ST stats aren't anything, but I noticed that Frankie has struck out 18 in his 9.2 innings.  Wonder if he'd be in the competition for our fifth starter spot. 

better than Nicasio's 24K's and 0 ER's in 15 innings LAST spring!!!!

I haven't seen Liriano this spring but I wonder if batters in ST--especially younger ones trying to make an impression--are more anxious to swing at his stuff instead of drawing walks.
SammyKhalifa

Spring Training Baseball

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Yeah, or just more easily duped.
rucker59@gmail.com

Spring Training Baseball

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Nice to see Frazier and Meadows hitting bombs off lefty Kyle Ryan.
fjk090852-7

Spring Training Baseball

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Meadows appears to be a legitimate hitter. He has a nice compact swing, and I can see why Neal Huntington is reluctant to include him in any trades. With less than a week to go before they leave Bradenton it is great that he is still getting playing time, and spending time with the veteran players on the team.
dmetz

Spring Training Baseball

Post by dmetz »

474B4A1118111914130C16210 wrote: Meadows appears to be a legitimate hitter. He has a nice compact swing, and I can see why Neal Huntington is reluctant to include him in any trades. With less than a week to go before they leave Bradenton it is great that he is still getting playing time, and spending time with the veteran players on the team.

He really needs to show that he can stay healthy this season.
Bobster21

Spring Training Baseball

Post by Bobster21 »

Per the Trib:

Manager Clint Hurdle reiterated none of the four pitchers in the hunt for the final rotation spot — Glasnow, Steven Brault, Drew Hutchison and Trevor Williams — made himself the clear favorite. How, then, to decide it?

“It's up to us,” Hurdle said, referring to the coaches and front office staff. “We have our own thoughts and our own measurements that we'll use. There's going to be a happy guy, maybe a couple happy guys, and a couple of guys who are going to have to find a way to regroup.”

There's a chance one of the pitchers not selected for the rotation could end up in the bullpen.

http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/1211 ... s-in-start

I find this worrisome. Stats show:

Williams: 2.63 ER, 12 hits in 13.2 IP, 2 BB, 12 Ks, .245 BAA and 1.02 WHIP.

Brault: 3.45 ERA, 16 hits in 15.2 IP, 5 BB, 8 Ks, .271 BAA and 1.34 WHIP.

Glasnow: 5.65 ERA, 19 hits in 14.1 IP, 6 BB, 23 Ks, .306 BAA and 1.74 WHIP.

Hutchison: 7.41 ERA, 23 hits in 17 IP, 7 BB, 15 Ks, .329 BAA and 1.76 WHIP.

Looks like Williams should be looked at as the favorite. If not him, then Brault who has been effective and would give them a LH starter. Glasnow likely needs more AAA time. But Hurdle says the coaches and FO have their own thoughts and measurements. I fear Hurdle's words still suggest they prefer Hutchison in order to justify that trade. They will say he has experience. But when you look at how these 4 pitchers have done in this "competition" it appears 1 if not 2 have distanced themselves from Glasnow and Hutchison but Hurdle seems unwilling to concede that.
Ecbucs

Spring Training Baseball

Post by Ecbucs »

684548595E4F58181B2A0 wrote: Per the Trib:

Manager Clint Hurdle reiterated none of the four pitchers in the hunt for the final rotation spot — Glasnow, Steven Brault, Drew Hutchison and Trevor Williams — made himself the clear favorite. How, then, to decide it?

“It's up to us,” Hurdle said, referring to the coaches and front office staff. “We have our own thoughts and our own measurements that we'll use. There's going to be a happy guy, maybe a couple happy guys, and a couple of guys who are going to have to find a way to regroup.”

There's a chance one of the pitchers not selected for the rotation could end up in the bullpen.

http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/1211 ... s-in-start

I find this worrisome. Stats show:

Williams: 2.63 ER, 12 hits in 13.2 IP, 2 BB, 12 Ks, .245 BAA and 1.02 WHIP.

Brault: 3.45 ERA, 16 hits in 15.2 IP, 5 BB, 8 Ks, .271 BAA and 1.34 WHIP.

Glasnow: 5.65 ERA, 19 hits in 14.1 IP, 6 BB, 23 Ks, .306 BAA and 1.74 WHIP.

Hutchison: 7.41 ERA, 23 hits in 17 IP, 7 BB, 15 Ks, .329 BAA and 1.76 WHIP.

Looks like Williams should be looked at as the favorite. If not him, then Brault who has been effective and would give them a LH starter. Glasnow likely needs more AAA time. But Hurdle says the coaches and FO have their own thoughts and measurements. I fear Hurdle's words still suggest they prefer Hutchison in order to justify that trade. They will say he has experience. But when you look at how these 4 pitchers have done in this "competition" it appears 1 if not 2 have distanced themselves from Glasnow and Hutchison but Hurdle seems unwilling to concede that. 
Yeah, there is no justification for Hutchison to make rotation based on spring training. If he does he should be on very short leash.

Like 2 starts at most.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Spring Training Baseball

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I am sure there is more to it than just ERA and batting average against. Who did each pitcher face, any balls that should have been fielded that weren't, working on pitches, etc.

I would send Hutchison and Williams north with the team. See who is working well behind the scenes, in the bullpen. That 5th starter might not be used to start the first week. Or if the Pirates start off hot and sweep the Red Sox, starting one might not be a bad idea.

Don't forget that we have seen pitchers with bad springs have good seasons and vice versa. One of the reasons I am not too worried, the talent is there among the four guys.
mouse

Spring Training Baseball

Post by mouse »

I see the Yankees have released Jon Niese. What a chance to swoop in and pick him up.