Deal with Yanks getting close?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

63617B7D6B0E0 wrote: This doesn't seem to be too bad an offer --

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/re ... li=BBnba9I

Yeah I would definitely do that if I were the Orioles.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

6A474A5B5C4D5A1A19280 wrote: With no sufficient bid emerging, the Orioles are now indicating that star third baseman Manny Machado “is staying put,” according to Bob Nightengale of USA Today (via Twitter). That could yet change if a big new offer comes in the door, but it seems that Baltimore will no longer actively shop the pending free agent.
Yeah, but that actually means little. If a team makes a great offer for him in a week or 2, I doubt the Orioles will decline it because it was after their arbitrary deadline. Seems more like an effort to improve the offers they're getting. Lack of pitching will keep Orioles from competing in 2018 even with Machado and he's a free agent after 2018. So staying put really hurts the Orioles.

I am not sure whose call it is, but are the teams asking about Machado allowed to work a long term deal with him?

The Orioles should allow this, I originally thought they were not. I don't know if Machado (and his agent) are wanting this either.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

576569697D4F6C65686D6265040 wrote: With no sufficient bid emerging, the Orioles are now indicating that star third baseman Manny Machado “is staying put,” according to Bob Nightengale of USA Today (via Twitter). That could yet change if a big new offer comes in the door, but it seems that Baltimore will no longer actively shop the pending free agent.
Yeah, but that actually means little. If a team makes a great offer for him in a week or 2, I doubt the Orioles will decline it because it was after their arbitrary deadline. Seems more like an effort to improve the offers they're getting. Lack of pitching will keep Orioles from competing in 2018 even with Machado and he's a free agent after 2018. So staying put really hurts the Orioles.

OK, but what then of reaction to rumors that a Cole deal have "Cooled."  Isn't it the same thing? 
Sure. I've already said Cole might have more value at the trade deadline when a team is willing to go all in for a player they think can put them over the top. Plus, Cole has 2 years left of control. And I don't think the Pirates have used the tact of setting a deadline for offers for Cole.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

634E43525544531310210 wrote: With no sufficient bid emerging, the Orioles are now indicating that star third baseman Manny Machado “is staying put,” according to Bob Nightengale of USA Today (via Twitter). That could yet change if a big new offer comes in the door, but it seems that Baltimore will no longer actively shop the pending free agent.

OK, but what then of reaction to rumors that a Cole deal have "Cooled."  Isn't it the same thing? 
Sure. I've already said Cole might have more value at the trade deadline when a team is willing to go all in for a player they think can put them over the top. Plus, Cole has 2 years left of control. And I don't think the Pirates have used the tact of setting a deadline for offers for Cole.

I do not think it is wise to wait for the trade deadline to trade Cole. Too much of a risk of a pitcher getting injured. Strike a deal with the Yanks while the desire is still there
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

7B5E5D5D48635E565443310 wrote: With no sufficient bid emerging, the Orioles are now indicating that star third baseman Manny Machado “is staying put,” according to Bob Nightengale of USA Today (via Twitter). That could yet change if a big new offer comes in the door, but it seems that Baltimore will no longer actively shop the pending free agent.

I do not think it is wise to wait for the trade deadline to trade Cole. Too much of a risk of a pitcher getting injured. Strike a deal with the Yanks while the desire is still there

every team in baseball knows that Cole is available and probably has an idea of what it would take to get him. I see no reason to not wait at least until spring training to see if anyone ups their offer.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Per MLB Trade Rumors the Yanks and Pirates are still discussing a deal for Cole. From the article it appears a deal will get done if the Bucs decide that Torres is not included.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

1E2C20203406252C21242B2C4D0 wrote: With no sufficient bid emerging, the Orioles are now indicating that star third baseman Manny Machado “is staying put,” according to Bob Nightengale of USA Today (via Twitter). That could yet change if a big new offer comes in the door, but it seems that Baltimore will no longer actively shop the pending free agent.

Baltimore is farther away from competing for anything moreso than us. One more year of Machado doesn't help them before he moves on. I would do that deal, if Angelos still has his head in the sand over the Yanks.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

4844451E171E161B1C03192E0 wrote: Per MLB Trade Rumors the Yanks and Pirates are still discussing a deal for Cole. From the article it appears a deal will get done if the Bucs decide that Torres is not included.

We don't need torres to be apart of this.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

1707063127272B440 wrote: Per MLB Trade Rumors the Yanks and Pirates are still discussing a deal for Cole. From the article it appears a deal will get done if the Bucs decide that Torres is not included.

We don't need torres to be apart of this.
It really sounds like this deal will be done before Christmas. If it happens this could just be the first of a few big deals this offseason.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Seems to be a lot of chatter today about the Cole/Yanks trade. Saw the following two items posted on twitter earlier this evening:

yankees have always loved gerrit cole, and maybe they work a deal eventually. but still hearing of one big holdup: pirates want gleyber to headline package, yanks want frazier to headline it.

RUMOR: "Yankees will get a get “a deal done’’ that will drop Cole into The Bronx without sacrificing stud prospects Gleyber Torres and Estevan Florial