Quintana

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Leyland1948

Quintana

Post by Leyland1948 »

It also may be the teams self imposed salary cap. Even with Quintanas's favorable contract the deal may raise the team salary above where them feel comfortable especially if they are going to trade prospects for him. Could it also be that the FO wants to move Harrison or Cutch to fit Quintana in under there budget!
dmetz

Quintana

Post by dmetz »

Mitch Keller hasn't pitched in AA ball and had a poor start to his career.   I wouldn't hesitate for a second to include him in a deal for an established arm like Quintana.

I assume the pirates look at Quintana as a risk because of the number of innings on his arm.    Whatever their reasoning, I never expected a deal to actually get done.   The last time we traded prospects for an established arm of Quintana caliber was what?  Zane Smith?  Two owners and four GMs ago?

Burnett and Liriano had pedigree, but were reclamation projects when they were acquired.  Quintana is a very good pitcher right now.

Why would we expect something to happen that has never happened before?
Tintin

Quintana

Post by Tintin »

172A3439363C37153D2A3B3D3C580 wrote: I would assume the impasse is that the White Sox are asking for Glasnow, Meadows, plus.

I assume anything with Glasnow (and guys not named Meadows or Bell) would be a done deal on the Pirates end.

I think it's Meadows. Period. We don't give up Meadows as Cutch will be gone in two years or less. We have no OF after 2018 and this is how our management team is thinking.

Newman has Tucker, Glasnow has Keller. Bell has no clear position and to me is more expendable than Meadows.

I think they want Meadows and we're not coming off of him.

I would imagine we are offering Glasnow, Bell or Newman, and a semi prospect like Hanson. The white Sox want Meadows, Keller and Tucker...and too me that's too much.

PMike

Quintana

Post by PMike »

5E63647E63640A0 wrote: I would assume the impasse is that the White Sox are asking for Glasnow, Meadows, plus.

I assume anything with Glasnow (and guys not named Meadows or Bell) would be a done deal on the Pirates end.

I think it's Meadows.  Period.  We don't give up Meadows as Cutch will be gone in two years or less.  We have no OF after 2018 and this is how our management team is thinking.

Newman has Tucker, Glasnow has Keller.  Bell has no clear position and to me is more expendable than Meadows.

I would imagine we are offering Glasnow, Bell or Newman, and a semi prospect like Hanson.  The white Sox want Meadows, Keller and Tucker...and too me that's too much.

Playing devil's advocate, trading Meadows, Keller and Tucker makes the Pirates a really good team at this moment and it gives them serious pitching depth for the next 4 years. If Glasnow reached his potential, they could have a legit 4 studs in their rotation for four years. No Meadows and no McCutchen for the final 2 would hardly be a problem. Esp if Bell comes around. They'd have more than enough offense.
Ecbucs

Quintana

Post by Ecbucs »

190420222C490 wrote: I would assume the impasse is that the White Sox are asking for Glasnow, Meadows, plus.

I think it's Meadows.  Period.  We don't give up Meadows as Cutch will be gone in two years or less.  We have no OF after 2018 and this is how our management team is thinking.

Newman has Tucker, Glasnow has Keller.  Bell has no clear position and to me is more expendable than Meadows.

I would imagine we are offering Glasnow, Bell or Newman, and a semi prospect like Hanson.  The white Sox want Meadows, Keller and Tucker...and too me that's too much.

Playing devil's advocate, trading Meadows, Keller and Tucker makes the Pirates a really good team at this moment and it gives them serious pitching depth for the next 4 years.  If Glasnow reached his potential, they could have a legit 4 studs in their rotation for four years.  No Meadows and no McCutchen for the final 2 would hardly be a problem.  Esp if Bell comes around.  They'd have more than enough offense.

Any ideas of how deep the 2017 draft is? The Pirates pick 12th and could have a chance to add another top prospect. (Bucs pick right after the White Sox) Bucs also pick 42nd and 50th.
notes34

Quintana

Post by notes34 »

15082C2E20450 wrote: I would assume the impasse is that the White Sox are asking for Glasnow, Meadows, plus.

Playing devil's advocate, trading Meadows, Keller and Tucker makes the Pirates a really good team at this moment and it gives them serious pitching depth for the next 4 years.  If Glasnow reached his potential, they could have a legit 4 studs in their rotation for four years.  No Meadows and no McCutchen for the final 2 would hardly be a problem.  Esp if Bell comes around.  They'd have more than enough offense.
I would make that deal. Quintana makes us so much better. If this team is going to add top talent this is the only way they are going to make it happen. Quintana is a known commodity, he is very consistent top of the rotation talent that is still young and controllable. If they could trade Meadows, Keller and Tucker for him it should be done immediately. I just feel they are asking for Meadows, and Glasnow.
OrlandoMerced

Quintana

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I would consider Meadows untouchable. He's going to be a guy you can pencil into the three spot for half a decade.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Quintana

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I am starting to believe that Meadows is the asking piece holding a deal up. It also makes me wonder how good Glasnow is if he can't be the center piece in this trade. Of course, assuming Glasnow is in the talks.

Where do Meadows and Glasnow rank compared to Moncada and Kopach (two main guys in the Sale trade).
SammyKhalifa

Quintana

Post by SammyKhalifa »

59525A565352490C0A7D445C555252135E523D0 wrote: I am starting to believe that Meadows is the asking piece holding a deal up.  It also makes me wonder how good Glasnow is if he can't be the center piece in this trade.  Of course, assuming Glasnow is in the talks. 

Where do Meadows and Glasnow rank compared to Moncada and Kopach (two main guys in the Sale trade).

I also think it's clear that it's not the PIRATES that are being unreasonable.  The Astros, Yankees (who have gone on record) and Pirates all think the price is currently way too high.  All three wouldn't be balking on an ask that was in line. It's not a "Pirates love holding on to their prospects" thing. 
OrlandoMerced

Quintana

Post by OrlandoMerced »

5D565E5257564D080E794058515656175A56390 wrote: I am starting to believe that Meadows is the asking piece holding a deal up.  It also makes me wonder how good Glasnow is if he can't be the center piece in this trade.  Of course, assuming Glasnow is in the talks. 

I would maybe give Moncado a slight edge because he plays the infield, but they're both about the same age, both raked in AA, but I would say Meadows outperformed him by a sizeable chunk, especially with Moncado having a 30% K Rate. So while Moncado has a higher ceiling because of his position, Meadows' floor is really high.

But because Moncado was a Red Sock, and got that massive bonus, he's a #1 prospect.

Kopech looks almost like a Glasnow clone, I think he might be considered more valuable because it's probably assumed that his control will improve as he progresses. Glasnow's problem right now is that his BB/9 has been around 5 since he was promoted to AAA in 2015