Kang to miss the start of spring training

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

5C555D4C42380 wrote: Just heard on The Fan that Kang may have had a fourth DUI in third country. This could be a problem with getting a Visa to the USA.

He's had 3 DUIs in one county (Korea).  So that report is already bogus before it even gets legs.    unless he was in two countries at once for his next DUI

I read that as not the United States or Korea, the two countries we know he has been in the last few years.

Who knows? I am pretty mad now. He is a special player and the team needs him to win. This is a huge blow. Can I still wear my King Kang shirt?
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

6562747C7265222E57707A767E7B3974787A170 wrote: This is bad news for the Pirates.  They may need to find a 3B.  Freese had a fine year last year as a back up, but not sure he is good enough to be an every day starter this point in his career.

The worse case scenario is happening.  It seems to me the Pirates didn't think this would happen.

No way the Pirates are surprised.  They may be disappointed, they may even had reason to believe Kang would slip through, but there is no way this surprises them.  If the rumored fourth DUI is true, he'll never play in the US again. 

Yeah if they couldn't see this coming then they were seriously sleeping on the job.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

They didn't do anything about it? They didn't prepare for Kang not being with the team.

Phil Gosselin couldn't have been their answer. He has never had 250 at bats in a season and makes minimum salary.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

2A21292520213A7F790E372F262121602D214E0 wrote: They didn't do anything about it?  They didn't prepare for Kang not being with the team. 

Phil Gosselin couldn't have been their answer.  He has never had 250 at bats in a season and makes minimum salary. 

It wasn't inevitable but a very distinct possibility.  Anyone with even just passing knowledge law and current events could see that and work on some contingency plans.  Maybe they're hoping on Alan Hanson finally cashing in on the potential. 

EDIT--now also it's important to understand there was also a possibility it WOULDN'T happen, so it's not like trading for a front-line third baseman this winter would have made sense either.  I'm not sure what was to have been done except maybe wait out the process. 

Also, I thought Hanson had played a lot more 3B than he actually has.  Oops. 
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Regarding the fourth DUI, if it is confirmed,it happened in another country besides USA and Korea. I assume Kang was visiting another country and got caught driving under the influence.
PMike

Post by PMike »

I really think Freese was the insurance last year after the incident in Chicago. That has just proved to be even more needed as more stuff has piled on Kang. Who are they going to find that is better than Freese at this point?
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

As far as I'm concerned, this all but ends Kang's tenure with the Pirates. I was thinking about this the other day. If he didn't play for my favorite baseball team, no way would I want this guy in the country. Frankly, he fits to a T the definition of the type of person the current administration wants to keep out of the country. And rightly so, in my opinion. If they reinstate his visa, and he winds up getting in a serious accident that injures or kills someone as a result of driving under the influence, the responsibility for that falls on the people who approve his visa application. That's not something I'd want on my conscience.

The only reason he even has a smidgen of hope of having his visa approved is because he can hit a baseball 400 feet.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

Just read at Pirates Prospects that Kang's work visa has been denied.  IMO, it's time to move on from him.  If he gets himself straightened out, he is still under our control and we can consider it a bonus.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

7C4E42425664474E4346494E2F0 wrote:

It wasn't inevitable but a very distinct possibility.  Anyone with even just passing knowledge law and current events could see that and work on some contingency plans.   

Well, I guess I wasn't catching on. I figured a fine and probation. That happened. I didn't think a work visa would be an issue as he has worked here the last two years and already had DUIs under his belt. I know the "country ban" is a newer policy, but Korea isn't on the country watch list to my knowledge.

Oh well. I guess I was wrong. Its a big blow to the team. (Where are the protesters to let Koreans with DUIs back into the country?)
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

5D565E5257564D080E794058515656175A56390 wrote:

It wasn't inevitable but a very distinct possibility.  Anyone with even just passing knowledge law and current events could see that and work on some contingency plans.   

Well, I guess I wasn't catching on.  I figured a fine and probation.  That happened.  I didn't think a work visa would be an issue as he has worked here the last two years and already had DUIs under his belt.  I know the "country ban" is a newer policy, but Korea isn't on the country watch list to my knowledge.

Oh well.  I guess I was wrong.  Its a big blow to the team.  (Where are the protesters to let Koreans with DUIs back into the country?)

It could have gone either way. IF they just knew it would have been easier to deal with.