Adam Frazier

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Adam Frazier

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

082F26262F3C3F2F083F294A0 wrote: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/gregory-pol ... fferently/

Polanco was missing meatballs down the middle.  He had very obvious swing issues and did not look comfortable. Trading or releasing him because he costs too much would be unwise. [highlight]He is exactly the player the Pirates should be trading FOR, not trading away.[/highlight]

So you want the Pirates to continue winning less than a third of their games?

They are going to lose most of their games next year no matter who the RF is.

Exactly.  So why continue down that path of losing with a guy who won't reach the potential projected and won't be here after this next season?  Better to find someone else as soon as possible who can become better than Polanco and will be here for 4-5 years.

Currently, that player does not exist.  Having Polanco on the roster does not prevent them from finding that player.  Releasing Polanco just because your opinion on him would be silly. The Pirates are smarter than that. You dont pay a player $11M to go away and let some other team benefit.

Of course that player exists.  There are probably plenty of them.  It's just a matter of Cherington and his staff being able to find that guy.

Having Polanco on the roster makes it more difficult to sit him on the bench because the temptation will persist to play him, which is a waste of time.  Out of sight, out of mind.

It doesn't matter what Polanco is getting paid.  He's due the money whether he plays or not, whether he's released or not.  Why would the Pirates continue to play him for the next year when he's below average in nearly every way when he could be replaced by a guy who could be better and be playing for the next five? 

Polanco wouldn't be the first player, or the first Pirate, who was "paid to go away".

That player does not exist or you would have named him.

Polanco's salary is very relevant. They pay him no matter what. They lose nothing keeping him into next year.  They most certainly lose something by releasing him today, with zero better options.

Polanco's salary isn't relevant for the very reason you mentioned:  they have to pay him regardless.  It should matter not at all when making a decision as to what to do with him.  The only thing that matters is playing the best man in RF.

I don't work in baseball.  It's not my job to find baseball talent, so naming a replacement is out of my realm.  But one thing I'm certain of is that there are many young players, several we've never even heard of, who will be replacing current major league players, beginning as soon as next season.  It happens every year.

I've yet to see what the Pirates would lose if Polanco were released today.  Would it be his handful of HRs?  His below average batting average?  His multiple strikeouts per game?  His frightful outfield play?  His head-scratching base running?  It's genuinely hard to find any positives with him.

For it not being your job, you are very adamant that they get rid of him. Is it your job to evaluate him? Hopefully not, since you seem to be scouting him like it is 1985.

You dont get rid of a player you are paying without a replacement.  It wont happen.

So as a fan I'm not permitted to have an opinion about a player? But you can?
shedman

Adam Frazier

Post by shedman »

0621282821323121063127440 wrote: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/gregory-pol ... fferently/

Polanco was missing meatballs down the middle.  He had very obvious swing issues and did not look comfortable. Trading or releasing him because he costs too much would be unwise. [highlight]He is exactly the player the Pirates should be trading FOR, not trading away.[/highlight]

Exactly.  So why continue down that path of losing with a guy who won't reach the potential projected and won't be here after this next season?  Better to find someone else as soon as possible who can become better than Polanco and will be here for 4-5 years.

Currently, that player does not exist.  Having Polanco on the roster does not prevent them from finding that player.  Releasing Polanco just because your opinion on him would be silly. The Pirates are smarter than that. You dont pay a player $11M to go away and let some other team benefit.

Of course that player exists.  There are probably plenty of them.  It's just a matter of Cherington and his staff being able to find that guy.

Having Polanco on the roster makes it more difficult to sit him on the bench because the temptation will persist to play him, which is a waste of time.  Out of sight, out of mind.

It doesn't matter what Polanco is getting paid.  He's due the money whether he plays or not, whether he's released or not.  Why would the Pirates continue to play him for the next year when he's below average in nearly every way when he could be replaced by a guy who could be better and be playing for the next five? 

Polanco wouldn't be the first player, or the first Pirate, who was "paid to go away".

Polanco's salary is very relevant. They pay him no matter what. They lose nothing keeping him into next year.  They most certainly lose something by releasing him today, with zero better options.

Polanco's salary isn't relevant for the very reason you mentioned:  they have to pay him regardless.  It should matter not at all when making a decision as to what to do with him.  The only thing that matters is playing the best man in RF.

I don't work in baseball.  It's not my job to find baseball talent, so naming a replacement is out of my realm.  But one thing I'm certain of is that there are many young players, several we've never even heard of, who will be replacing current major league players, beginning as soon as next season.  It happens every year.

I've yet to see what the Pirates would lose if Polanco were released today.  Would it be his handful of HRs?  His below average batting average?  His multiple strikeouts per game?  His frightful outfield play?  His head-scratching base running?  It's genuinely hard to find any positives with him.

For it not being your job, you are very adamant that they get rid of him. Is it your job to evaluate him? Hopefully not, since you seem to be scouting him like it is 1985.

You dont get rid of a player you are paying without a replacement.  It wont happen.

________

Polanco will be salary dumped and he will be replaced by another LMG, and then we will hear how good he will be in 4-5 years.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Adam Frazier

4F545958515D523C0 wrote: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/gregory-pol ... fferently/

________

Polanco will be salary dumped and he will be replaced by another LMG, and then we will hear how good he will be in 4-5 years.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say we're not going to hear those words about Polanco.
BellevueBuc

Adam Frazier

Post by BellevueBuc »

7A6A6B5C4A4A46290 wrote: Of course, since Polanco has had injury/illness issues recently, the Pirates have used other guys in the OF the last two years.  How have they done?

Adam Frazier (2020):  196/302/261, 53 PA

Kevin Newman (2019):  333/500/333, 4 PA

Cole Tucker (2020):  215/241/262, 112 PA

Pablo Reyes (2019):  184/236/291, 110 PA

Erik Gonzalez (2019):  294/333/471, 18 PA

Kevin Kramer (2019):  171/225/200, 40 PA

Jake Elmore (2019):  308/357/346, 28 PA

Corban Joseph (2019):  000/000/000, 3 PA

J.T. Riddle (2020):  100/100/150, 20 PA

Those guys managed out to a 40ish OPS+ in over 500 PAs and a 203/253/272 slash line. And that is just the infielders they have used in the OF.  We can add Dyson, Heredia, Shuck, Martin and it is not looking much better.

This team is considering using Brault in the OF. There is a better chance that Polanco hits like he did in 2018 than the Pirates adding a competent OF for 2021.

So, we should bring back Elmore?

LOL!
BellevueBuc

Adam Frazier

Post by BellevueBuc »

7E283E2A253F2F24293E0C2B212D2520622F4C0 wrote: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/gregory-pol ... fferently/

So as a fan I'm not permitted to have an opinion about a player?  But you can?

Never said that. Your opinion is just not plausible or ever going to happen. It is ok for me to think your opinion is wrong, not factual and makes no sense.
shedman

Adam Frazier

Post by shedman »

6F484141485B58486F584E2D0 wrote: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/gregory-pol ... fferently/

Never said that. Your opinion is just not plausible or ever going to happen.  It is ok for me to think your opinion is wrong, not factual and makes no sense.
______

His opinion is not wrong, it is just that his reality doesn't align with the rest of the world. In his world, he is exactly right.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Adam Frazier

6B4C45454C5F5C4C6B5C4A290 wrote: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/gregory-pol ... fferently/

Never said that. Your opinion is just not plausible or ever going to happen.  It is ok for me to think your opinion is wrong, not factual and makes no sense.

I think you're confused. My opinion of Polanco as a player is based on his below average statistics after his lengthy time in the league, which isn't an opinion and can't be denied. As for the Pirates releasing him, I said way up thread that I didn't believe the Pirates would release him, but that they would keep him for the wrong reason, the one you subscribe to, that they're paying him too much money not to play him. Try to keep up.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Adam Frazier

617A77767F737C120 wrote: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/gregory-pol ... fferently/

______

His opinion is not wrong, it is just that his reality doesn't align with the rest of the world.  In his world, he is exactly right.

Finally, you wrote something that's correct, that I'm right.
Surgnbuck

Adam Frazier

Post by Surgnbuck »

STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The bazillion quote thing is giving me a seizure!
ArnoldRothstein

Adam Frazier

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

123433262F2334222A410 wrote: STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For anyone who doesn't know, the icon at the top of the screen sets up a quote box, too. You can click that, then copy and paste only the text you want to quote into it.

I know....