Kang to miss the start of spring training

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

76746E687E1B0 wrote: Dog - his problem isn't the Pirates or other teams. It's the DUI conviction. He's a foreign national with a criminal record. There is a blanket edict that visas are not to be granted in such cases. This was not the case last year, it is this year. There have been a lot of changes in political attitudes so far as non-US citizens are concerned. The key for him was whether they would make an exception because he's 'important.' It appears not, at least as long as he's on probation, so I'm guessing (and it's only that - a guess) he's gone back on appeal to see if the court there will cut him a break and change the sentence to just a fine. But his career right now appears in jeopardy.

Sorry Mouse, you were posting right in front of me. But you and I are saying the same thing. With Kang's record I don't think he gets a visa without an exception. They haven't granted one and thus the appeal.

This will not resolve quickly unless the Korean appeals process is really speedy. Maybe we can get the USA to extradite him for the Chicago mess. That would speed things up....
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

74766C6A7C190 wrote: Dog - his problem isn't the Pirates or other teams. It's the DUI conviction. He's a foreign national with a criminal record. There is a blanket edict that visas are not to be granted in such cases. This was not the case last year, it is this year. There have been a lot of changes in political attitudes so far as non-US citizens are concerned. The key for him was whether they would make an exception because he's 'important.' It appears not, at least as long as he's on probation, so I'm guessing (and it's only that - a guess) he's gone back on appeal to see if the court there will cut him a break and change the sentence to just a fine. But his career right now appears in jeopardy.

I understand what is going on. I am not blaming the Pirates? All I meant was that they still would have offered him a contract knowing he had some DUIs in Korea.

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I have about had it with the Kang situation. Let him stay in Korea and we will find out what type of players we have with Gooslin, Hanson and Frazier. If he ever returns I think this will be his final year with the Bucs. They will attempt to move him after the 2017 season.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Just heard on The Fan that Kang may have had a fourth DUI in third country. This could be a problem with getting a Visa to the USA.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Report from Korea is that the Visa has been denied. He may not play at all this season.
PMike

Post by PMike »

6E6263383138303D3A253F080 wrote: Report from Korea is that the Visa has been denied. He may not play at all this season.
Pirates Prospects is reporting that, too. >:(
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

If there is a fourth DUI that he got in another country I am going to guess a reapply for a Visa wil be very tough to receive. His days with the Bucs may be over.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

http://m.sports.naver.com/wbaseball/new ... 0010435253

Google translate for those few of you that can't read Korean:

Greg Jung-ho of the US baseball team Pittsburgh faced the biggest crisis since joining the major leagues.

According to the KBS report, the US Embassy has confirmed that Kang Jung-ho has refused to apply for a work visa. Kang Jung-ho said that he was informed. Gang Jung-ho's current team's return to Pittsburgh has been delayed. It is also uncertain whether the return to the season will come.

Kang Jung-ho was charged with driving a blood alcohol concentration of 0.084% at the intersection of Gangnam Station in Seoul on December 2 last year.

In 2009 and 2011, Kang Jung-ho, who has a drunk driving experience, was canceled from his license and was sentenced to two years in prison for eight months in prison at first trial in early March. The sentence of probation does not live up to the sentence but is sentenced to imprisonment. The reasons for the rejection of this visa application seem to be largely attributed to the postponement of the execution.

Kang Jeong-ho applied for an ESTA (Electronic Travel Authorization) to the US embassy, ​​which can stay in the US for a short period of time. When the ESTA application was filed, criminal records were required. Kang Jeong-ho was reported to have dropped the drunk driving fact here. At present, ESTA applications are rejected, making it difficult to go to the US for a short period of time.

Furthermore, Kang Jung - ho is suspected of drunk driving in a third country other than Korea and the United States. If it turns out to be true, issuance of visas in the future is expected to become more difficult.

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

616D6C373E373F32352A30070 wrote: Report from Korea is that the Visa has been denied. He may not play at all this season.

If there is any truth to that info then the Bucs suddenly have more "salary flexibility" to not use!
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

This is bad news for the Pirates. They may need to find a 3B. Freese had a fine year last year as a back up, but not sure he is good enough to be an every day starter this point in his career.

The worse case scenario is happening. It seems to me the Pirates didn't think this would happen.