Carlos Santana

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

ArnoldRothstein

Carlos Santana

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

He'll be 37 on April 8. He's batted .204 in the 2020s, including .183 in the second half last year.

WildwoodDave2

Carlos Santana

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

477468696A625469726E7572636F68060 wrote: He'll be 37 on April 8. He's batted .204 in the 2020s, including .183 in the second half last year.

without the shift, I think he should do better
Bobster21

Carlos Santana

Post by Bobster21 »

Will be 37 next April. Thats an age when most players are retired or just hanging on. And Santana has been in decline since age 34.

Batted .202 last year, down from .214 in 2021. 19 HRs in both 2021 and 2022. That's down from 34 in the previous full season of 2019. Great clubhouse guy and probably a good influence on other Pirates from the Dominican Republic. But not likely to be much of a hitter in the lineup. For a team that hates to spend money, I don't understand 6.7 mil for this.

Santana, Diaz and Choi. Yoi!
ArnoldRothstein

Carlos Santana

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

143934252233246467560 wrote: For a team that hates to spend money, I don't understand 6.7 mil for this.

I'm guessing some combination of season tickets not moving and a premium being charged to get a veteran player to Pittsburgh.

WildwoodDave2

Carlos Santana

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

735554435545360 wrote: Bucs sign Carlos Santana to a one year 6.7 Million Contract.

Ben C. is nuts.

Was reading the PG this morning. Santana was with the Mariners with Adam Frazier. Frazier said, "he is the man! Tremendous influence in the clubhouse. Takes the young players under his wing". With all the Spanish speaking players on the bucs, I think this was a good move. Some people on the board mentioned that

they wanted Cutch to play this role. He doesn't speak Spanish!
fjk090852-7

Carlos Santana

Post by fjk090852-7 »

This is a good addition to the young Pirates team. As some have said he will be a veteran player for the Latin players such as Cruz, Castro and others. The depth of the lineup is so much better. Let’s propose this lineup on many days:

Cruz so

Reynolds cf

Andujar lf

Choi 1b

Santana DH

Hayes 3b

Suwinski RF

Catcher. ?

Bae or Castro 2b

This is an interesting lineup in my opinion.
GreenWeenie

Carlos Santana

Post by GreenWeenie »

For a team that hates spending money, they spent money.  I have no problem with it.  He hits home runs.

If my choice is to take Santana or the guys we had, I take Santana.  I don't care about the money.  It isn't mine.

Then, we have The Cherington Factor that no one brings up, so I will now.  Do we have trust in his assessment or not?  I choose to give him the benefit of doubt.  If he's incapable of weighing the pros and cons of this player, then what gives anyone confidence in his ability to judge any other?
fjk090852-7

Carlos Santana

Post by fjk090852-7 »

5A6F7878734A78787374781D0 wrote: For a team that hates spending money, they spent money.  I have no problem with it.  He hits home runs.

If my choice is to take Santana or the guys we had, I take Santana.  I don't care about the money.  It isn't mine.

Then, we have The Cherington Factor that no one brings up, so I will now.  Do we have trust in his assessment or not?  I choose to give him the benefit of doubt.  If he's incapable of weighing the pros and cons of this player, then what gives anyone confidence in his ability to judge any other?
I agree with your thoughts. The Pirates will never be in play for a player like Judge. Santana is not a dumpster dive like some of the players the Pirates have signed in the past. They spent some money on Santana with the hopes he will fill a need for the upcoming season. He and Choi are both players who fill the gap this year as we wait the young prospects make their way to the major league.
Ecbucs

Carlos Santana

Post by Ecbucs »

It is a gamble with Nuttings money but I find it hard to believe that BC can't find a better use for this than on Santana. He hit less than 170 against righthanded pitchers last year with ops of 655

Chavis against righties was 222 with 618.

I sure would like a first baseman or dh that slugs better than 400.

It just seems like settling to me. We plugged that hole with 2 players and it should be a little better than last year (but to me it looks like it will still be one of worst offenses from first again).
Speedloader88

Carlos Santana

Post by Speedloader88 »

Feels like a Burnitz or Lyle Overbay or even Derek Bell signing to me but whatever.