Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by Bobster21 »

5B7D7C6B7D6D1E0 wrote: Bobster

Bae's conviction on assault charges are now 4+ years ago and his conviction and 30 game suspension from baseball is now 3+ years ago.  I see where the Pirates initially signed him to a $1.2 million bonus, but that too is now almost ancient history.

Question --- If the Bucs are not interested in him because of his past assault conviction, why do you believe they have kept him around for another 3+ years? 

Regardless, I do agree that it seems odd that he has not been recalled this year based on his production at AAA and his ability to play the outfield (I recognize that he was injured for a while in August).

I think Atlanta paid Bae's bonus and the Bucs picked him up after he was released because of the domestic violence charge.  That being said, unless he has done something else, I can't see the Pirates leaving him off the roster this winter.
The info I see is that Bae's contract (among others) with Atlanta was voided due to the Braves GM violating international signing rules. Huntington then gave Bae a 1.25 million signing bonus. A year later, his domestic violence charge in South Korea was learned and he was suspended for 30 days in April 2019 while playing for Greensboro. He ended up having an outstanding year for Greensboro but before Huntington could decide what, if anything, to do about Bae, Huntington was fired in October 2019.

Cherington inherited Bae but it was a moot point in 2020 with the minor leagues inactive that year. Bae remained in the org and had fine years for Altoona in 2021 and at Indy this year. But BC must know that promoting Bae to MLB will cause some PR problems but also knows Bae has talent and Nutting paid a 1.25M bonus for him. With all the prospects being given a chance this year while Bae has excelled at AAA, it seems as if BC is conflicted and is avoiding a promotion of Bae to MLB regardless of how he performs at AAA. I don't see why the situation would be any different next year. But if they release him for the reason of the domestic abuse charges, there will still be PR problems as they will be asked why they kept him in the org the past 2 years after the charges were known if they felt the charges justified a release. The easiest solution for the Pirates might be to trade him or leave him unprotected and hope he gets selected in rule 5.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/215 ... -prospects

https://www.milb.com/news/pittsburgh-pi ... -306352696
Ecbucs

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by Ecbucs »

775A57464150470704350 wrote: Bobster

Bae's conviction on assault charges are now 4+ years ago and his conviction and 30 game suspension from baseball is now 3+ years ago.  I see where the Pirates initially signed him to a $1.2 million bonus, but that too is now almost ancient history.

Question --- If the Bucs are not interested in him because of his past assault conviction, why do you believe they have kept him around for another 3+ years? 

Regardless, I do agree that it seems odd that he has not been recalled this year based on his production at AAA and his ability to play the outfield (I recognize that he was injured for a while in August).

I think Atlanta paid Bae's bonus and the Bucs picked him up after he was released because of the domestic violence charge.  That being said, unless he has done something else, I can't see the Pirates leaving him off the roster this winter.
The info I see is that Bae's contract (among others) with Atlanta was voided due to the Braves GM violating international signing rules. Huntington then gave Bae a 1.25 million signing bonus. A year later, his domestic violence charge in South Korea was learned and he was suspended for 30 days in April 2019 while playing for Greensboro. He ended up having an outstanding year for Greensboro but before Huntington could decide what, if anything, to do about Bae, Huntington was fired in October 2019.

Cherington inherited Bae but it was a moot point in 2020 with the minor leagues inactive that year. Bae remained in the org and had fine years for Altoona in 2021 and at Indy this year. But BC must know that promoting Bae to MLB will cause some PR problems but also knows Bae has talent and Nutting paid a 1.25M bonus for him. With all the prospects being given a chance this year while Bae has excelled at AAA, it seems as if BC is conflicted and is avoiding a promotion of Bae to MLB regardless of how he performs at AAA. I don't see why the situation would be any different next year. But if they release him for the reason of the domestic abuse charges, there will still be PR problems as they will be asked why they kept him in the org the past 2 years after the charges were known if they felt the charges justified a release. The easiest solution for the Pirates might be to trade him or leave him unprotected and hope he gets selected in rule 5.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/215 ... -prospects

https://www.milb.com/news/pittsburgh-pi ... -306352696

thanks,  I was definitely mixed up and didn't realize the Pirates had paid him such a large bonus, I figured the Pirates were just his favorite team. I hope the Bucs don't deal him or let him go in rule 5 draft for PR reasons.  They have treated him like a prospect the past two years under Ben.   The following was in Tribune Review article today:  he latter will continue with call-ups in September and early October, Cherington said, as the Pirates plan to take a look at prospects as they consider which ones to keep on the 40-man roster this offseason.

One of them is likely to be 23-year-old right-handed pitcher Luis Ortiz, who is expected to make his major league debut in one of Tuesday’s doubleheaders at Cincinnati. The 6-foot-2, 240-pounder from the Dominican Republic, ranked their No. 30 prospect by MLB Pipeline, tossed six no-hit innings and had nine strikeouts but allowed two runs and three walks for Triple-A Indianapolis in a 5-4 loss to Omaha on Thursday.

Where that move is made out of necessity, Cherington said the rest will be determined on a “case-by-case” basis. [highlight]Other candidates include infielder Ji-hwan Bae and outfielder Travis Swaggerty,[/highlight] although Cherington could reward a prospect having a strong season like Double-A catcher/outfielder Endy Rodriguez the way he did last October with the major league debuts of Roansy Contreras and Oneil Cruz. Cherington and his baseball operations staff continue to evaluate which players the Pirates will protect from the Rule 5 Draft. https://triblive.com/sports/gm-ben-cher ... offseason/
MaineBucs

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by MaineBucs »

Thanks for the BC comments. Very encouraging to read the comment about Endy Rodriguez. A ball, to AA, to the majors in one year, even if it would be for a cup of coffee.

And while I know that they are running out of roster spots at the major league level, I see that Madris wasn't on his list of call-ups he mentioned. Madris is not yet too old, but he is older than many of the current rookies on the team.
gileszee

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by gileszee »

If Bae can play, he should be brought up to Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh sports have had quite a few non angels amongst their midst over the years. One is going to the football HOF in 5 years. The Pirates need talent at the ML level. The kid f**ked up and was wrong for what he did, 100%. He paid for his transgressions. He should be brought up, now, to at least see what he can do. But like most things about this management team, they will most likely screw this up.
ArnoldRothstein

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

I've been wondering if they'll bring Bae up at the very end of the season. That's what they did Jung Ho Kang a few years ago - brought him up in the last week, on the road, when no one is paying attention. Then next spring he's old news.
UtahPirate

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by UtahPirate »

173B33343F182F39295A0 wrote: Thanks for the BC comments.  Very encouraging to read the comment about Endy Rodriguez.   A ball, to AA, to the majors in one year, even if it would be for a cup of coffee. 

And while I know that they are running out of roster spots at the major league level, I see that Madris wasn't on his list of call-ups he mentioned.  Madris is not yet too old, but he is older than many of the current rookies on the team.   

Madris DFA'd, Ortiz added.

Kind of surprised as Madris has been pretty hot again at AAA lately. But Mitchell seems to have figured something out, so maybe we figure we have enough OFers. Can't imagine that someone won't grab Madris.
Osushawn

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by Osushawn »

4F6E7B724A73687B6E7F1A0 wrote: Thanks for the BC comments.  Very encouraging to read the comment about Endy Rodriguez.   A ball, to AA, to the majors in one year, even if it would be for a cup of coffee. 

And while I know that they are running out of roster spots at the major league level, I see that Madris wasn't on his list of call-ups he mentioned.  Madris is not yet too old, but he is older than many of the current rookies on the team.   

Madris DFA'd, Ortiz added.

Kind of surprised as Madris has been pretty hot again at AAA lately. But Mitchell seems to have figured something out, so maybe we figure we have enough OFers. Can't imagine that someone won't grab Madris.

I would rather they DFA position guys as they are harder to keep on a MLB roster for a year. You can hide pitchers much easier
WildwoodDave2

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

Sweep Raise it
WildwoodDave2

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

5D63666E7D65656E4E6B7C6F380A0 wrote: Sweep Raise it
How bout that Underwood!!
fjk090852-7

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Now that Bae and Ortiz are on the roster, the Pirates may only add Rodriguez, Burrows, Sabol, and Nunez when they need to set their roster for the Rule 5 Draft.