Offseason Outlook: Pittsburgh Pirates (MLBTR)

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

527473666F6374626A010 wrote: Cruz’s defense concerns me more than his hitting.  I think he’ll develop as a power hitter rather than a hitter with a high batting average, and that’s fine, if he can be a 30 HR guy.

I don’t know if he’ll ever be trustworthy as a defender, especially at shortstop.  I’d bring him to Bradenton for a week before Spring Training to start working with him to take over in RF or at 1B, whichever he can grasp best.  I think I’d prefer him in RF.
I'm betting he's their SS for the vast majority of 2023. Remember, for all his defensive flaws, there's always DH

It wouldn’t surprise me if he plays SS until Peguero is ready, perhaps midway through the year. But if BC’s convinced Liover is the future, it’s best to get Cruz to start playing his new position (RF or 1B) as soon as possible. Let Newman play SS until Perguero arrives.
ChillinStation

Post by ChillinStation »

I agree Cruz will get 2023 to prove it on defense. Nick Gonzales is playing SS in the AFL. Peguero fizzled out when he was sent back down. Just more questions then answers, business as usual.
2drfischer@gmail.c

577C7D78787D7A476075607D7B7A140 wrote: I agree Cruz will get 2023 to prove it on defense. Nick Gonzales is playing SS in the AFL. Peguero fizzled out when he was sent back down. Just more questions then answers, business as usual.

Interesting that Gonzales is playing there. Is that a combination of Peguero's performance and the drafting of Johnson, who looks like he might fit best at 2nd base? Is Gonzales's arm good enough to play SS? His total minor league hitting numbers are really promising. Duplicating them in the big leagues would be fantastic.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

Does anyone know if Termarr Johnson is playing Winter Ball this year?
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

015741555A40505B564173545E525A5F1D50330 wrote: I agree Cruz will get 2023 to prove it on defense. Nick Gonzales is playing SS in the AFL. Peguero fizzled out when he was sent back down. Just more questions then answers, business as usual.

Interesting that Gonzales is playing there.  Is that a combination of Peguero's performance and the drafting of Johnson, who looks like he might fit best at 2nd base?  Is Gonzales's arm good enough to play SS?  His total minor league hitting numbers are really promising.  Duplicating them in the big leagues would be fantastic.

PBN says Gonzales seems to have the arm to play SS but

probably has the arm strength for short, but many scouts question whether he has the quickness for the position.

It seems that the Bucs might try to make him a SUG.
2drfischer@gmail.c

5F7E765F747C1B0 wrote: I agree Cruz will get 2023 to prove it on defense. Nick Gonzales is playing SS in the AFL. Peguero fizzled out when he was sent back down. Just more questions then answers, business as usual.

Interesting that Gonzales is playing there.  Is that a combination of Peguero's performance and the drafting of Johnson, who looks like he might fit best at 2nd base?  Is Gonzales's arm good enough to play SS?  His total minor league hitting numbers are really promising.  Duplicating them in the big leagues would be fantastic.

probably has the arm strength for short, but many scouts question whether he has the quickness for the position.

SUG?
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

095F495D524858535E497B5C565A525715583B0 wrote: I agree Cruz will get 2023 to prove it on defense. Nick Gonzales is playing SS in the AFL. Peguero fizzled out when he was sent back down. Just more questions then answers, business as usual.

SUG?

A versatile super utility guy. Not what he was counted on to do when he was drafted.
2drfischer@gmail.c

74555D745F57300 wrote: I agree Cruz will get 2023 to prove it on defense. Nick Gonzales is playing SS in the AFL. Peguero fizzled out when he was sent back down. Just more questions then answers, business as usual.

SUG?

A versatile super utility guy.  Not what he was counted on to do when he was drafted.

I wonder if anyone growing up ever aspired to be a SUG?
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

217761757A60707B766153747E727A7F3D70130 wrote: I agree Cruz will get 2023 to prove it on defense. Nick Gonzales is playing SS in the AFL. Peguero fizzled out when he was sent back down. Just more questions then answers, business as usual.

SUG?

A versatile super utility guy.  Not what he was counted on to do when he was drafted.

I was close, my goal was SLUG.
2drfischer@gmail.c

0E28293E28384B0 wrote: I agree Cruz will get 2023 to prove it on defense. Nick Gonzales is playing SS in the AFL. Peguero fizzled out when he was sent back down. Just more questions then answers, business as usual.

SUG?

I was close, my goal was SLUG.

HAHAHA! Have you reached it?