Who would you cut loose ?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Osushawn

Re: Who would you cut loose ?

Post by Osushawn »

Surgnbuck wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:23 pm Real easy answer, and it really has nothing to do with current performance, upsides, organizational filler, etc. Mind you, I am not advocating the move, just playing devils advocate.

Connor Joe. He's no more a first baseman than anyone else, he's on a one year contract and he can't be traded.

But I don't see Andujar getting another shot. They can expand the roster 2 guys in just over a week. One of those guys will be Cruz. I can't but help think Williams is a place holder for Skenes come mid September. I think they will also throw Kranick a bone.

What's all the love for Andujar anyhow? Guy cleared waivers didnt he? If i am correct on that, all 30 teams can't be wrong.
I think part of it is that he is hitting .352 with 16 jacks in AAA. Give hem one last chance th prove that he is a major league ball player. If it works out, we have our 1b next year. If not, we gave it a try and right back to the problem we currently have on the MLB roster
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

It doesn't look to me like Rivas is coming back next year. It seems like Andujar deserves more of a shot than him. Maybe give Rivas a chance until Indy's season ends.

I just can't see Rivas getting a 40 man roster spot after the season.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Ecbucs wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:26 pm It doesn't look to me like Rivas is coming back next year. It seems like Andujar deserves more of a shot than him. Maybe give Rivas a chance until Indy's season ends.

I just can't see Rivas getting a 40 man roster spot after the season.
When you begin looking at the possible 13 position players for the 2024 season you have the 8 starters. I am going to assume Cutch, Joe, a backup catcher and infielder will be part of the bench.There is only room for one additional player, and it could be a lefty bat off the bench. I really don’t think Andujar will be back next year. I expect the Pirates to sign someone to play first base on a regular basis. It could be a return of Santana.
MaineBucs1

Post by MaineBucs1 »

At the end of last season the Bucs must have viewed Andujar as a potential option because they gave him a contract for $1.525 Million. In comparison, Joe is earning about $750,000. I don't know what occurred between the end of the season and May that changed their thinking about Andujar, but, for an organization that typically is reticent about spending money, management seems content to keep him at AAA as an expensive insurance policy.

I doubt that Andujar is an answer to nearly any question, but first base continues to be a black hole, and I would rather give him another shot than the current try-out for Capra. Lastly, I really believe that the Bucs seriously need to consider Cruz at first, even though it would be a waste of a powerful arm.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

MaineBucs1 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:00 pm At the end of last season the Bucs must have viewed Andujar as a potential option because they gave him a contract for $1.525 Million. In comparison, Joe is earning about $750,000. I don't know what occurred between the end of the season and May that changed their thinking about Andujar, but, for an organization that typically is reticent about spending money, management seems content to keep him at AAA as an expensive insurance policy.

I doubt that Andujar is an answer to nearly any question, but first base continues to be a black hole, and I would rather give him another shot than the current try-out for Capra. Lastly, I really believe that the Bucs seriously need to consider Cruz at first, even though it would be a waste of a powerful arm.
In my opinion I believe what changed the Pirates thinking after they signed Andujar was Andrew McCutchen. We all know the story that around New Years Cutch called Bob Nutting about whether the Bucs would be interested in him. I think before that time Ben Cherington had no idea that Cutch would be joining the team.Prior to the Cutch signing,Andujar had been signed along with Santana, and Joe and Choi had been acquired in trades. If I remember correctly Andujar was designated for assignment whenever the Cutch signing was made official. It probably is not a given that Andujar will join the team whenever the rosters expand by two players after September 1st. Good possibility he becomes a free agent this offseason, and he gets signed by another organization.