What Do You Want The Bucs To Add At The Trade Deadline?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I don't know who is available. But Huntington should and has done a fine job in trading for upgrades at the deadline the last three years.

I doubt any pitchers who appeared this year would be traded. I don't think Meadows or Bell will be traded. I don't think Diaz will be traded (if he can be). I think Newman will be safe too. Outside of those guys, Huntington could deal someone. Hanson and Tucker might be the biggest prospects that could be moved, but I doubt it as Huntington has been very good in saving his top young guys for talent.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I'm not sure that I see a path for a significant acquisition(s). I don't think they are going to move high upside guys like Meadows, Hayes, Keller or Tucker, nor any of the pitching depth. I can maybe see them moving some guys that have limited ceilings like Hanson or Ramirez, but at most those guys get you a bullpen arm.

That said, the bullpen is fine, they need to add a top of the rotation guy, I think that has to be Glasnow. Liriano has turned into a more serviceable option as a back of the rotation guy. The big three (Cole, Taillon and Glasnow) have to anchor the rotation. i'm fine with that, Taillon and Glasnow will take some lumps during the next couple of months, but if they can stay in the race as those two adjust to the majors, it could maybe mimic what the Mets had last year with Matz and Syndergaard.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

I forgot about Hayes. He isn't going anywhere either.

I trust Huntington. It is hard not to at this point.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I don't make a move for anybody at this point. The rotation is fine with the young guys getting their chance now and the bullpen is as well as it has improved a ton over the last 2-3 weeks. Keep the current team we have now and take your chances it just might work.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Kind of funny how everyone wanted another starter in the off season but now they want the young kids to play?

Funny, how things changed. Also funny how the non-moves in the off season have put the Pirates in the hunt still this year.

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

no, we still needed another starter.

i guess I was thinking of a non-terrible starter so maybe we should be more specific in our wishes next time
Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

I am also a little puzzled by the simultaneous consternation over the offseason plan and the current reluctance to make a move. As far as winning a championship, the offseason plan wasn't the problem. But, the current suck of Francisco Liriano is a problem. We don't appear to be able to realistically make noise in the playoffs if we get there. It would seem there is a path to change this in the form of Austin Meadows. At some point in the fairly near future, one of these outfielders has to be moved anyway unless we want the best four deep outfield ever assembled. If we could get a controlled difference maker on the mound now with him as the primary piece, why not do it. If Teheran is overvalued and a reasonable deal can't be made, okay, but I'd try. I'd look at Archer, too, even though he's not having a great season.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

If the Pirates aren't going to put Taillon, Glasnow, Meadows and Bell off the table, then they aren't going to get and Archer or a Teheran. 

I doubt that the Pirates are able to make a big deadline deal with those pieces off of the table.  I think there's a reason that teams like the Royals and Blue Jays last year, and the Tigers in the past were able to make all the big trade deadline moves, none of their prospects were off the table.  I think teams are enticed by packages that include a teams top prospect as opposed to a package of 5,6,7 type guys, even with the fact that all systems aren't equal.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

684D5E4B575C5756535B3F0 wrote: I am also a little puzzled by the simultaneous consternation over the offseason plan and the current reluctance to make a move.  As far as winning a championship, the offseason plan wasn't the problem.  But, the current suck of Francisco Liriano is a problem. We don't appear to be able to realistically make noise in the playoffs if we get there.  It would seem there is a path to change this in the form of Austin Meadows.  At some point in the fairly near future, one of these outfielders has to be moved anyway unless we want the best four deep outfield ever assembled.  If we could get a controlled difference maker on the mound now with him as the primary piece, why not do it.  If Teheran is overvalued and a reasonable deal can't be made, okay, but I'd try.  I'd look at Archer, too, even though he's not having a great season.

Liriano has been bad but that just underlines the lack of any contingency plan whatsoever for starting pitching. When you begin ST with Niese as your third starter, Locke as your #4, and Vogelsong at 5 (and who knows who at 6); you're counting on an awful lot to go absolutely perfectly. You're hoping for nobody to get injured and nobody to underperform. A true #3 would have mitigated this.

Anyhow, what's done is done. I'd still have an eye out for someone but judging by who's available that might not be possible.
Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

I am putting Meadows on the table.