Lodolo

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Lodolo

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Four years ago today Mark Appel turned down $3 million from the Pirates.

He took a big risk and it did work out for him money wise, but his "people" said money was not the reason why he turned down the Pirates' offer.

There is a difference as Appel only had one more year to wait unlike three years for Lodolo.
OrlandoMerced

Lodolo

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I was thinking Glasnow, Hinsz and Keller should give him a call.

Have them explain how developmentally, they were much better off going pro.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Lodolo

I always wondered if players call each other to get them to come to their team? You never hear about the Pirates at least.

Why can't McCutchen give this kid a call? 18 year old kid getting a call from a former MVP who skipped college and went pro. Wouldn't that be a great motivational tool?

Maybe it happens, but I never hear the stories.
NCBuccofan

Lodolo

Post by NCBuccofan »

665B4548474D46644C5B4A4C4D290 wrote: That sucks.  I thought he was the most intriguing pick they made.

Really? He seemed like a reach to me.

Silly to pass up over a million dollars to play college baseball.
NCBuccofan

Lodolo

Post by NCBuccofan »

616A626E6B6A713432457C646D6A6A2B666A050 wrote: well he "twittered" out that he's going to college

Hopefully, it is a ploy for more money.

Why?
NCBuccofan

Lodolo

Post by NCBuccofan »

796E784F5959553A0 wrote: Yeah.  Unless the kid suddenly decides that his chances of being drafted a lot higher 3 years from now are not great and that $1.5M will help erase any second thoughts, it's hard to imagine he's going to sign at this point.

I think the Bucs still have about $300k they can go over slot to sign picks without being penalized.  So, maybe signing one of the Austins (Bodrato or Shields) plus a comp pick for not signing Lodolo won't be all bad.

Do they even have money left? They signed one overslot guy in Kranick...who I believe was actually rated higher than Lodolo.
NCBuccofan

Lodolo

Post by NCBuccofan »

313A323E3B3A216462152C343D3A3A7B363A550 wrote: I always wondered if players call each other to get them to come to their team?  You never hear about the Pirates at least.

Why can't McCutchen give this kid a call?  18 year old kid getting a call from a former MVP who skipped college and went pro.  Wouldn't that be a great motivational tool? 

Maybe it happens, but I never hear the stories.

Actually you do hear it about the Pirates. Robbie Grossman talked to Bell I believe and some pitchers have talked to players about joining the Pirates. Kyle McPherson comes to mind as one.

Also, Mark Appel was not the same situation at all, he fell multiple spots because teams thought he wanted well over slot at #1. The Pirates did not sign him because he wanted slot for the #1 pick.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Lodolo

That is good to hear.

About Appel: I heard it was not a money issue. I tweeted about him not signing and some guy (local reporter following him) kept telling me that money was not the reasoning. I asked over and over what was the reasoning and he never said. Then some friend of Appel jumped in too. Very comical, but they hated that I called Appel "greedy". That was four years ago, and I still never heard why if money was not the reason.
NCBuccofan

Lodolo

Post by NCBuccofan »

7B70787471706B2E285F667E777070317C701F0 wrote: That is good to hear.

About Appel: I heard it was not a money issue.  I tweeted about him not signing and some guy (local reporter following him) kept telling me that money was not the reasoning.  I asked over and over what was the reasoning and he never said.  Then some friend of Appel jumped in too.  Very comical, but they hated that I called Appel "greedy".  That was four years ago, and I still never heard why if money was not the reason.

Probably because money was the issue. His agent said it was. Appel claimed it was to win a Championship and earn his degree. He failed at the first anyways, and he could earn his degree at any point. Standard BS answer.

The Pirates offered Appel all the money they had up to the limit before losing a 1st round pick. Boras said Appel wanted $6 mil or he would not sign. Whoever that reporter is does not know what he is talking about.
BucAndEer

Lodolo

Post by BucAndEer »

020F0E392F2F232A2D224C0 wrote: That sucks.  I thought he was the most intriguing pick they made.

Really?  He seemed like a reach to me.

Silly to pass up over a million dollars to play college baseball.

My thoughts exactly. I'm as pro-education as they come, but not when it comes to college/pro baseball. He better be darned sure he doesn't flame out or suffer a career-threatening injury or else, instead of being $1.5M in the black, he'll start out adulthood hundreds of thousands of dollars in the red because of the ridiculousness of the college baseball scholarship situation and the hardship it puts on the players getting fractions of a scholly.

And yeah, maybe he's 100% convinced he'll be cashing those big league checks in 3-4 years. Not sure it's worth the gamble. Better to take the sure thing, I'd think.