Trade Deadline Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

5D60677D6067090 wrote: Watching us tonight, I'm ready to blow it up.

Forget trading Meadows, let's see what we can get for Shark, any non rookie pitcher not named Cole, Freese, Joyce, and Jaso and see what happens.

This team isn't making the playoffs.  Let's see what the kids can do.
Yeah, it seems pathetic to see this team barely over .500 and think they can make the playoffs, much less compete with the best of the best even if they somehow got there.
AdrianBrown

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by AdrianBrown »

112C2B312C2B450 wrote: Watching us tonight, I'm ready to blow it up.

Forget trading Meadows, let's see what we can get for Shark, any non rookie pitcher not named Cole, Freese, Joyce, and Jaso and see what happens.

No thanks. I can't imagine being a seller when you are 3 games out of the playoffs and have as much talent as the Pirates have. They played badly tonight but then again the Phillies pitcher was really good. in the last 20 games the Pirates have played really well and have a favorable schedule going forward. Plus the starting rotation is improving with Locke and Niese out of it now. Last year at this time nobody thought the Mets would make a run and they made the World Series. I'm going to exercise patience.
SammyKhalifa

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by SammyKhalifa »

21041209010E22120F170E600 wrote: Watching us tonight, I'm ready to blow it up.

No thanks.  I can't imagine being a seller when you are 3 games out of the playoffs and have as much talent as the Pirates have.  They played badly tonight but then again the Phillies pitcher was really good.  in the last 20 games the Pirates have played really well and have a favorable schedule going forward.  Plus the starting rotation is improving with Locke and Niese out of it now.  Last year at this time nobody thought the Mets would make a run and they made the World Series.  I'm going to exercise patience.

While that's true, we're also 8th out of a 16-team league. We're in that dangerous uncomfortable middle ground.
AdrianBrown

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by AdrianBrown »

The Pirates also have the best record in the National League since the beginning of July. And that was with Niese and Locke in the rotation. I feel that they are trending in the right direction.
Bobster21

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

Trib reports Locke to the bullpen for the time being. Maybe the Bucs are just stashing him til the trade deadline. We know they are shopping Locke and Niese. There may be teams desperate enough to trade for one or both. But only after all other options are exhausted. No GM is going to set his sights on either of those 2 and be satisfied unless they failed to get someone better. So I don't think either will be moved until the deadline when/if a GM sighs and accepts that that's the best he can do.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I can see Locke being used as a filler. Meaning, a team might have a young arm who is not ready but still need someone to start games.

Niese can be given a chance in hopes he turns it around. Kind of odd how his career is going in the wrong direction.

With that said, the Pirates aren't getting much for either.
DemDog

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by DemDog »

745954454253440407360 wrote: Trib reports Locke to the bullpen for the time being. Maybe the Bucs are just stashing him til the trade deadline. We know they are shopping Locke and Niese. There may be teams desperate enough to trade for one or both. But only after all other options are exhausted. No GM is going to set his sights on either of those 2 and be satisfied unless they failed to get someone better. So I don't think either will be moved until the deadline when/if a GM sighs and accepts that that's the best he can do.   

Who knows Bobster, one of both may end up going to some desperate team even after the TDL if they are so bad. Who would claim them when they are put on waivers? Although if a team would claim them other than the team that they are trying to trade him to, they could lose them for nothing. But isn't that what we want, to lose them? Although they maybe could work a deal with that team for a non or low level prospect.
steve49

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by steve49 »

My 2 cents to this year's trade deadline. The Pirates should not give up a top prospect for one of the aforementioned available guys. It's crazy as it won't do much more than help them achieve another 1 and done. I think unless the pitchers name is Chris Sale , they should not be buyers. He's cheap through 2019 . Do I advocate a package that would have to start with Meadows and be inclusive of other top prospects , probably not. But I can understand that move , while I don't get overpaying for a # 3 or 4.
dmetz

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by dmetz »

I wouldn't worry too much about us BUYING anyone.   Longshot that happens, with Glasnow, Taillon, Kuhl, and Brault in AAA.   Especially after that start by Frankie... there's no way we're going to buy a starter, I don't think.   I mean... if we didn't buy a quality starter at the BEGINNING of this season as depth-limited as we were, why would be buy one now?

My worry:

I think we will sell off if we lay an egg vs these scrub teams this week.  Our backs are against the wall, and NH keeps saying over and over about how strong of a sellers market it is.   We're talking offers for a mini-selloff for sure.  Melancon, Joyce, Freese, Jaso, Feliz are all guys that could be moved for pieces (Jaso would be hard to move for anything worthwhile, imo, rest of the guys easy)

Really need to move Locke and Niese off the roster altogether, to make room. Nicasio is long-man. 

I'd release Caminero if you can't get anything for him.   Make a move for another quality Pen arm... like last years version of Blanton or Soria. I'd prefer two pen arms as I think Hughes is worthless too

ArnoldRothstein

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

313830212F550 wrote:    I mean... if we didn't buy a quality starter at the BEGINNING of this season as depth-limited as we were, why would be buy one now?

A rental pitcher is cheaper for two months than for 6. I'm not saying this is what is happening, but it is possible that they're trying to get some relief on salaries of guys like Niese, Locke, or Jaso to get cash together to get a quality rental.

One of the things that's furstrating here is that the team has it's own internal numbers that are what's really telling them how far to go before the deadline.