Marlins to acquire Cashner

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

4B47461D141D15181F001A2D0 wrote: I don't think Cashner is worth a first round pick.  He is also a free agent at the end of the season. A first round pick for a two month rental, don't like it!

Agreed. Marlins setting a high value does not help the Pirates.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

3730262E2037707C052228242C296B262A28450 wrote: Would rather have Matt Moore anyway so not that big of a deal.

I disagree.  I was counting on the Fish to fade the last two months.  They're making moves to win.

Good moves?  We'll see.

We shall see. I just stated in another thread we are going to see if the Marlins are for real or not the next 2-3 weeks before they come into PNC Park in about 3 weeks for a weekend series. Their schedule is very tough. They have 3 more with the Cards this weekend, then next week go to Wrigley to play the Cubs and then to Colorado. Then they play teams such as the Giants, White Sox, and Royals along with the Bucs after that. So the Pirates most definitely have the favorable schedule over the course of the next 2-3 weeks over the Marlins. You gotta take advantage of it and win a lot of games and overtake them in the standings at some point during this stretch.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

5A7D6C686D704F7B6C6D6D70090 wrote: Would rather have Matt Moore anyway so not that big of a deal.

I disagree.  I was counting on the Fish to fade the last two months.  They're making moves to win.

Good moves?  We'll see.

We shall see. I just stated in another thread we are going to see if the Marlins are for real or not the next 2-3 weeks before they come into PNC Park in about 3 weeks for a weekend series. Their schedule is very tough. They have 3 more with the Cards this weekend, then next week go to Wrigley to play the Cubs and then to Colorado. Then they play teams such as the Giants, White Sox, and Royals along with the Bucs after that. So the Pirates most definitely have the favorable schedule over the course of the next 2-3 weeks over the Marlins. You gotta take advantage of it and win a lot of games and overtake them in the standings at some point during this stretch.

The Marlins schedule is a killer, as you point out. It's a significant reason I think the Pirates are in good shape with the WC - I expect the Fish to fade; leaving only 2 teams to contend with.

Have they done enough to make a significant difference with their tough schedule? Maybe a couple games.

The big Q may be "have they done enough to beat the Pirates in August"? If so, then the move by the Marlin could be huge.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

012C21303726317172430 wrote: i guess management doesn't  think this Pirate team has any holes. hmmm : just sit back and watch what everyone else does to try to improve.
Some teams can trade prospects and fill the resulting holes via free agency. The Pirates don't spend for impact players via free agency. So they are unlikely to make a significant trade involving top prospects. Whether by necessity or choice, Pirate moves are dictated by money more than most teams. So I expect them to sit this trade deadline out.

And have done very well with this approach as not many teams (have any?) have made the playoffs three years in a row.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

4D464E4247465D181E695048414646074A46290 wrote: i guess management doesn't  think this Pirate team has any holes. hmmm : just sit back and watch what everyone else does to try to improve.
Some teams can trade prospects and fill the resulting holes via free agency. The Pirates don't spend for impact players via free agency. So they are unlikely to make a significant trade involving top prospects. Whether by necessity or choice, Pirate moves are dictated by money more than most teams. So I expect them to sit this trade deadline out.

And have done very well with this approach as not many teams (have any?) have made the playoffs three years in a row.

Don't get me wrong I love making the playoffs even as a wildcard and think it's a great accomplishment but I'm sorry I'm at a point now where I want more. I want this Pirates team to start taking some bigger steps and maybe win a playoff series and at the very least get to the NLCS. Until the Pirates I think at least make the NLCS and can win at least one playoff series I am no longer going to consider the season a major success anymore. Sorry if that might offend some people on here that's just my opinion and just how I feel.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Sounds like the deal is expanded big-time from the original leak, many players going back and forth with the end result sounding to me like the Marlins overpaid by a lot for some average guys.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/07/a ... adres.html

Complete deal: Cashner, Rea, Guerrero to Marlins. Cosart, Castillo, Capps, Naylor to Padres. Deal pending review of medicals.

I guess we'll see if Jim Benedict can give them the ol' JA Happ treatment.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

1F38292D28350A3E292828354C0 wrote: i guess management doesn't  think this Pirate team has any holes. hmmm : just sit back and watch what everyone else does to try to improve.

Don't get me wrong I love making the playoffs even as a wildcard and think it's a great accomplishment but I'm sorry I'm at a point now where I want more. I want this Pirates team to start taking some bigger steps and maybe win a playoff series and at the very least get to the NLCS. Until the Pirates I think at least make the NLCS and can win at least one playoff series I am no longer going to consider the season a major success anymore. Sorry if that might offend some people on here that's just my opinion and just how I feel.

winning division should always be goal rather than wild card. Wild card is better than not making post season at all.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

6F48595D58457A4E595858453C0 wrote: i guess management doesn't  think this Pirate team has any holes. hmmm : just sit back and watch what everyone else does to try to improve.

Only two teams can make the NLCS. Only one team can make the WS from the NL. Making the playoffs FOUR years in a row is an accomplishment.

I would rather go and lose than not go at all. I get it, we all want more. But it is still a tough task. Making the playoffs is always a successful season. Where were you from 1993-2012? I don't want any of those years back and no way would the last three years compare to any of those seasons. No comparison.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

515A525E5B5A410402754C545D5A5A1B565A350 wrote: i guess management doesn't  think this Pirate team has any holes. hmmm : just sit back and watch what everyone else does to try to improve.

Only two teams can make the NLCS.  Only one team can make the WS from the NL.  Making the playoffs FOUR years in a row is an accomplishment. 

I would rather go and lose than not go at all.  I get it, we all want more.  But it is still a tough task.  Making the playoffs is always a successful season.  Where were you from 1993-2012?  I don't want any of those years back and no way would the last three years compare to any of those seasons.  No comparison.

Those 20 years of losing were awful but it shouldn't lower our expectations now. No one is unhappy that they are making the playoffs now. But we have a right to expect just getting there isn't the goal anymore. That's why it was so disappointing when they followed up a 98-win season but another early exit from the post season by downgrading the rotation. The goal should be to win a championship; not just to play a WC game, which we've seen how problematic that can be when you face a dominant pitcher for a one and done game.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

The goal is to win a Championship. They were in position to win one the last three years. They are also in it this year.

People want to sell just because they can "only" make the wild card. You really want management to do that and tell us that is their plan?

Two wild card teams made the WS in 2014. Making it to the wild card is a step in getting to the championship. Every team's goal is to win every single game. That doesn't happen, but that is still the goal.