Nova starts 8/6

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Nova starts 8/6

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Mets, Marlins, and Cards all lose tonight. Big opportunity to finish off a sweep tomorrow and pull within 1 game of the wildcard. Hopefully Cole is finally able to beat the Reds for a change.
mouse

Nova starts 8/6

Post by mouse »

Nova did look good tonight. Some of that no doubt was due to his relative unfamiliarity to Reds (and the rest of the National League) hitters, but still nice, direct approach. With Cole, Taillon, and Nova (hopefully this game wasn't a fluke), suddenly that staff doesn't look so bad.
PMike

Nova starts 8/6

Post by PMike »

7A626067677061667B7A6C090 wrote: Refreshing to see a pitcher throw strikes.  I get so tired of getting behind hitters and either walking them or having to bring it right down the middle.  It cost him a couple of times but his pitch count for 7 innings was 76 that's out standing.  After watching Liriano, Locke, struggle to throw strikes this was fantastic hope we don't teach him how the Pirate pitchers pitch.  Cutch hit the ball hard 3 times tonight that was also good to see.
I very much agree with the bolded. He also laid off a couple pitches he has been chasing this year. Most importantly, he hit the ball to right field with authority. When he is on, he goes the opposite way a lot.
notes34

Nova starts 8/6

Post by notes34 »

5E4367656B0E0 wrote: Refreshing to see a pitcher throw strikes.  I get so tired of getting behind hitters and either walking them or having to bring it right down the middle.  It cost him a couple of times but his pitch count for 7 innings was 76 that's out standing.  After watching Liriano, Locke, struggle to throw strikes this was fantastic hope we don't teach him how the Pirate pitchers pitch.  Cutch hit the ball hard 3 times tonight that was also good to see.
I very much agree with the bolded.  He also laid off a couple pitches he has been chasing this year.  Most importantly, he hit the ball to right field with authority.  When he is on, he goes the opposite way a lot.

Yep. He drew some walks by laying off bad pitches and hit the ball hard. Very nice to see.
dmetz

Nova starts 8/6

Post by dmetz »

I think Nova looked like he got pretty lucky. He was throwing strikes great! But was right down Broadway way too often. Better than Locke, glad hes here. Glad to see it. But hes going to get smacked around pitching like that.

Better than Locke
Quail

Nova starts 8/6

Post by Quail »

2C252D3C32480 wrote: I think Nova looked like he got pretty lucky.   He was throwing strikes great!  But was right down Broadway way too often. Better than Locke, glad hes here.   Glad to see it.   But hes going to get smacked around pitching like that.

Better than Locke

Better than Liriano too.
UtahPirate

Nova starts 8/6

Post by UtahPirate »

7E777F6E601A0 wrote: I think Nova looked like he got pretty lucky.   He was throwing strikes great!  But was right down Broadway way too often. Better than Locke, glad hes here.   Glad to see it.   But hes going to get smacked around pitching like that.

It seemed like his fastball had very little movement, really straight (and pretty consistent on the 93 to 95 range). So if it wasn't around the edges it was very hittable. He did have what looked like a cut fastball that would run in on RH that he got a few K's on. Given last year and past events (remember Happ got bombed his first outing after the trade and then missed a start to "correct some things", then was lights out after that) I'm wonder if Searage sees something to tweak a little to get just a little more movement on that fastball. Or if maybe we'll see him through that cut fastball a little more next outing.

They did show a stat during the game that 18 starts against NL teams, Nova was 9-3. I'll add to that the NH quote where he thought Liriano needed to get back in the AL where hitters haven't seen him for awhile and he would have more success. Can't help but wonder if that same type of analysis is at play here with Nova.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Nova starts 8/6

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

It was probably good for Nova to face a pitcher. He threw straight fast balls to the pitchers to get out of innings.