Kingham

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Kingham

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

4A6D7C6F7C2820202128190 wrote: I'm not saying Kingham could give us a Taillon like boost next year...but...he was definitely a stud before he got injured...

Cole

Taillon

Kingham

Kuhl

plus:

Glasnow

Duncan

Brault

Williams

Hutchinson

Plus I assume a FA pitcher or two...that's a decent amount of pitching. And a whole hell of a lot of young pitching.

Barring injury, I think the rotation will most certainly be:

1.Cole

2.Taillon

3. Kuhl

4. A free agent or trade acquisition who will little doubt disappoint fans and the media alike but turn out to be decent.

5. Hutchison

The idea will be to bump back Kuhl with someone from the minors around June. I do think Glasnow will be ready this time around.

You hit #4 right on. You would think the fans and media would trust Huntington by now. But, nope!
Steve19981

Kingham

Post by Steve19981 »

2C2B3D353B2C6B671E39333F3732703D31335E0 wrote: I'm not saying Kingham could give us a Taillon like boost next year...but...he was definitely a stud before he got injured...

Cole

Taillon

Kingham

Kuhl

plus:

Glasnow

Duncan

Brault

Williams

Hutchinson

Plus I assume a FA pitcher or two...that's a decent amount of pitching. And a whole hell of a lot of young pitching.

1.Cole

2.Taillon

3. Kuhl

4. A free agent or trade acquisition who will little doubt disappoint fans and the media alike but turn out to be decent.

5. Hutchison

The idea will be to bump back Kuhl with someone from the minors around June. I do think Glasnow will be ready this time around.

Kuhl not getting much love.  I think he's going to be hard to bump back based on what we've seen.

Sorry I don't mean to be unclear. I meant bump him to the four, not out of the rotation entirely. I like Kuhl a lot and I think he could be a middle of the rotation pitcher. In a small sample, he's pitching like one now. However I'd like to see him get a little more experience and I just simply think Glasnow and Kingham have higher upside though not by much for Kingham.
SammyKhalifa

Kingham

Post by SammyKhalifa »

7E757D7174756E2B2D5A637B7275753479751A0 wrote: I'm not saying Kingham could give us a Taillon like boost next year...but...he was definitely a stud before he got injured...

Cole

Taillon

Kingham

Kuhl

plus:

Glasnow

Duncan

Brault

Williams

Hutchinson

1.Cole

2.Taillon

3. Kuhl

5. Hutchison

You hit #4 right on.  You would think the fans and media would trust Huntington by now.  But, nope!

to be fair i trusted him on jon niese
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Kingham

I did too. But he did get rid of him for bullpen help. The Pirates are one game back from the Playoffs. So, not a totally failure or hurt the team too much. Niese just didn't help. One miss here and there will happen. But before Niese even pitched fro the Pirates, the "complaints" were coming in.
iabucco

Kingham

Post by iabucco »

Because they dumped Liriano's salary by sending out prospects, I will be extremely disappointed if the Pirates don't ante up and get a solid pitcher in free agency. They should be able to do that with the savings from moving him. They do not need to spend much money in the field next year so I would love a solid pitcher and getting Feliz re-signed.
SammyKhalifa

Kingham

Post by SammyKhalifa »

727A796E7878741B0 wrote: Because they dumped Liriano's salary by sending out prospects, I will be extremely disappointed if the Pirates don't ante up and get a solid pitcher in free agency.  They should be able to do that with the savings from moving him.  They do not need to spend much money in the field next year so I would love a solid pitcher and getting Feliz re-signed. 

The problem is that as of now the FA market this offseason is El Stinko.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/03/2 ... gents.html

Starting Pitchers

Brett Anderson (29)

Clay Buchholz (32) — $13.5MM club option with a $500K buyout

Andrew Cashner (30)

Jhoulys Chacin (29)

Bartolo Colon (43)

Jorge De La Rosa (36)

R.A. Dickey (42)

Doug Fister (33)

Jaime Garcia (30) — $12MM club option with a $500K buyout

Gio Gonzalez (31) — $12MM club option with a $500K buyout

Jason Hammel (34) — $10MM club option with a $2MM buyout

Jeremy Hellickson (30)

Rich Hill (37)

Derek Holland (30) — $11MM club option with a $1MM buyout

Scott Kazmir (33) — can opt out of remaining two years, $32MM on current contract

Mat Latos (29)

Colby Lewis (37)

Kris Medlen (31) — $10MM mutual option with a $1MM buyout

Charlie Morton (33) — $9.5MM mutual option with a $1MM buyout

Jon Niese (30) — $10MM club option with a $500K buyout

Ivan Nova (30)

Jake Peavy (36)

CC Sabathia (36) — $25MM vesting option with a $5MM buyout

James Shields (35) — can opt out of remaining two years, $44MM on current contract

Alfredo Simon (36)

Edinson Volquez (33) — $10MM mutual option with a $3MM buyout

Jered Weaver (34)

C.J. Wilson (36)

fjk090852-7

Kingham

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The group of free agent pitchers looks weak. They may attempt to bring back Nova if he does well these final weeks of the season. If they could count on Glasnow in 2017 they could have 4/5ths of their rotation with Cole, Tailion, Kuhl and Glasnow. Glasnow must develop the third pitch, and work on holding runners on base. That second start vs the Phils was awful because they stole base after base on him.
PMike

Kingham

Post by PMike »

It's hard to imagine the Pirates paying for one of those FA pitchers. Hellickson is the only possibility IMO.

More likely is that they use their "financial flexibility" to try and trade for a pitcher. After reading an article about the September call ups, I have been thinking about Hanson. There is really no place for him next year (between he and Frazier and Moroff). Hanson probably has the highest trade value. He'd be a guy I'd center a trade around for a pitcher.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Kingham

465B7F7D73160 wrote: It's hard to imagine the Pirates paying for one of those FA pitchers.  Hellickson is the only possibility IMO.

More likely is that they use their "financial flexibility" to try and trade for a pitcher.  After reading an article about the September call ups, I have been thinking about Hanson.  There is really no place for him next year (between he and Frazier and Moroff).  Hanson probably has the highest trade value.  He'd be a guy I'd center a trade around for a pitcher. 

I agree about Hanson. I also wonder if Heredia has any value just because he is young.

Harrison is the only current player I can see dealt. That is an option if a team needs a second baseman (Mets trade last year).
Quail

Kingham

Post by Quail »

5F545C5055544F0A0C7B425A5354541558543B0 wrote: It's hard to imagine the Pirates paying for one of those FA pitchers.  Hellickson is the only possibility IMO.

More likely is that they use their "financial flexibility" to try and trade for a pitcher.  After reading an article about the September call ups, I have been thinking about Hanson.  There is really no place for him next year (between he and Frazier and Moroff).  Hanson probably has the highest trade value.  He'd be a guy I'd center a trade around for a pitcher. 

I agree about Hanson.  I also wonder if Heredia has any value just because he is young. 

Harrison is the only current player I can see dealt.  That is an option if a team needs a second baseman (Mets trade last year).

I think the Pirates may decide that Hanson is ready to replace Harrison. I suspect they're not excited about Frazier's defense at 2B, and see him much more as a utility guy. Moroff would slot into the Pirates 'development criteria' as a year of 'seasoning' behind Hanson.

Hanson's offensive and defensive stats at AAA the past two seasons are remarkably consistent and look very much like Harrison's MLB numbers this year. IMO the ever budget conscious Pirates will be more likely to deal JHay if they go the trade route for a starting pitcher. Hanson will provide them with a replacement that isn't much different in terms of production and will be cheaper.