9/17 game 2 vs reds

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

9/17 game 2 vs reds

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

65677D7B6D080 wrote: "Contract bonuses aren't allowed in MLB. There are bonuses for awards, but not stats/milestones." [Dogknot3]

What about pitchers? I'm positive I've seen reference to incentive based one-year contracts where the guy gets so much for certain milestone, like innings pitched or appearances or what-not.

To be honest, I am not sure about Pitchers and appearances. I recall some players in the 90's or early 2000's getting start bonuses. Maybe it was after that they went away?

I did look it up after I posted, and no mention of Pitchers, just hitters. For example, no bonus for hitting 50 HR or a .300 average.

The team can control appearances, so I would assume that went away too.
Jerseykc

9/17 game 2 vs reds

Post by Jerseykc »

040F070B0E0F145157201901080F0F4E030F600 wrote: "Contract bonuses aren't allowed in MLB. There are bonuses for awards, but not stats/milestones." [Dogknot3]

What about pitchers? I'm positive I've seen reference to incentive based one-year contracts where the guy gets so much for certain milestone, like innings pitched or appearances or what-not.

To be honest, I am not sure about Pitchers and appearances. I recall some players in the 90's or early 2000's getting start bonuses. Maybe it was after that they went away?

I did look it up after I posted, and no mention of Pitchers, just hitters. For example, no bonus for hitting 50 HR or a .300 average.

The team can control appearances, so I would assume that went away too.

Cot's baseball contracts shows many players with appearance bonuses and some for winning awards

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compe ... h-pirates/

dogknot17@yahoo.co

9/17 game 2 vs reds

Ok, thanks.

I was in Baltimore in 1997 when Ben McDonald had a no hitter for the Brewers going. He pulled himself from that start and no one knew why at the time. Turned out he had a million dollar bonus if he started one more game. In the no hitter, he blew out his arm and knew it. He made his next start, lasted an inning and never pitched again. It still boggles my mind how the bullpen coach let him start as there was no way he was showing he was able to go warming up.
Bobster21

9/17 game 2 vs reds

Post by Bobster21 »

757E767A7F7E652026516870797E7E3F727E110 wrote: Ok, thanks.

I was in Baltimore in 1997 when Ben McDonald had a no hitter for the Brewers going. He pulled himself from that start and no one knew why at the time. Turned out he had a million dollar bonus if he started one more game. In the no hitter, he blew out his arm and knew it. He made his next start, lasted an inning and never pitched again. It still boggles my mind how the bullpen coach let him start as there was no way he was showing he was able to go warming up.
Not exactly true. Following the 6 inning no-hit attempt n Baltimore, McDonald made one more start and went 6 innings, gave up 6 hits, 3 runs and threw 91 pitches. He was shut down after that game with a rotator cuff tear. Surgery after the season was unsuccessful so he retired. But your story is more interesting.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... &year=1997
dogknot17@yahoo.co

9/17 game 2 vs reds

Damn internet proving me wrong about the innings pitched 19 years later.

It was the day before the 10 inning No Hitter in Pittsburgh with the Mark Smith walk-off.

Pirates sweep the double header. Four in a row. Pirates offense with double digit hits again.
SteadyFreddy

9/17 game 2 vs reds

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Mets won again though in extra innings so the Pirates remain 5 games back with 14 to play of both the Mets and the Giants and are 3 games back of the Cardinals as well. They still have a pulse at this point albeit a faint one. The only way this will hey interesting is if the Pirates finish off the Reds today and sweep the Brewers afterwords and go into next weekend potentially 2 or at the very worst 3 games back of somebody who is leading the wildcard. Being 5 games back with 14 to play is just too hard to overcome and too hard of a deficit to overcome to get excited about at all.
CarolinaBucco

9/17 game 2 vs reds

Post by CarolinaBucco »

If the Pirates had just gone 7-7 instead of 2-12 during that nightmarish stretch, they'd be tied for the wild card lead this morning.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

9/17 game 2 vs reds

6644574A494C4B44675046464A250 wrote: If the Pirates had just gone 7-7 instead of 2-12 during that nightmarish stretch, they'd be tied for the wild card lead this morning.

That's crazy. Ugh.