What is going on?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

What is going on?

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

6C5E52524674575E5356595E3F0 wrote: more like 2 or 3 starters

Agreed. One starter says this FO is punting.

Especially when the starter comes via trade and is almost certainly going to be a younger (cheaper) guy.
SammyKhalifa

What is going on?

Post by SammyKhalifa »

515640484651161A63444E424A4F0D404C4E230 wrote: more like 2 or 3 starters

Agreed.  One starter says this FO is punting.

Especially when the starter comes via trade and is almost certainly going to be a younger (cheaper) guy.   

It seems clear to me. We needed another starter last offseason, and we have FEWER of them now than we did then.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

What is going on?

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Cole, Tallion, and Kuhl are set for the rotation. At least they should be in my opinion. That leaves at least one spot open and then you have that fifth spot that can be shuffled around during the season. That is my thought process at least. Two starters would be great, but at least one is needed for sure.
Ecbucs

What is going on?

Post by Ecbucs »

454E464A4F4E551016615840494E4E0F424E210 wrote: Cole, Tallion, and Kuhl are set for the rotation.  At least they should be in my opinion.  That leaves at least one spot open and then you have that fifth spot that can be shuffled around during the season.  That is my thought process at least.  Two starters would be great, but at least one is needed for sure.

I think 2 are needed before spring training too. Cole, Taillon and Kuhl will start 100 games in best case scenario. 62 more to go is just too risky to count on 1 new guy and fill-ins.
SammyKhalifa

What is going on?

Post by SammyKhalifa »

But you have to assume that at least one of your guys just isn't going to work out that well. You're leaving zero margin for error. I think Kuhl (for example) should probably start in the rotation but he is no guarantee. If that happens where are we?

(On a side note, one thing I'm grateful for about last season--I'm pretty sure that it put toan end to the accusations that guys like Glasnow actually are ready for the big leagues from the start of the year or super two time, but the Pirates are lying about it for some mysterious under-explored reason.)
SammyKhalifa

What is going on?

Post by SammyKhalifa »

715756415747340 wrote: Cole, Tallion, and Kuhl are set for the rotation.  At least they should be in my opinion.  That leaves at least one spot open and then you have that fifth spot that can be shuffled around during the season.  That is my thought process at least.  Two starters would be great, but at least one is needed for sure.

I think 2 are needed before spring training too.  Cole, Taillon and Kuhl will start 100 games in best case scenario.  62 more to go is just too risky to count on 1 new guy and fill-ins.

I agree. Your "spare parts" are you contingency, not a Plan A.
CarolinaBucco

What is going on?

Post by CarolinaBucco »

This team needs a minimum of 2 LEGITIMATE starters, maybe 3, and at least one of them (or two) needs to be left-handed.

If they could somehow accomplish that and piece together a few more bullpen arms I think they'd be fine ... but they seem to be showing NO INTEREST WHATSOEVER in participating in the MLB offseason.
CarolinaBucco

What is going on?

Post by CarolinaBucco »

And VA Pirate said something that reminded me of an earlier thought I had.

Yes, the "going rate" today is RIDICULOUS.

Yes, with the current "going rate" every player is basically overpaid by outrageous amounts.

BUT THAT IS REALITY.

"Ridiculous" and "outrageous" is now the going rate. The new normal.

So if the Pirates want to participate at all, they are going to have to pay the "going rate" -- which means they are going to have to, and I know this is a radical concept, SPEND MONEY to acquire decent players.

If they just sit back and decide that EVERY PLAYER is being overvalued and overpaid (which appears to be their strategy) then they are going to basically just sit out the offseason.
SammyKhalifa

What is going on?

Post by SammyKhalifa »

6E4C5F424144434C6F584E4E422D0 wrote: And VA Pirate said something that reminded me of an earlier thought I had.

Yes, the "going rate" today is RIDICULOUS.

Yes, with the current "going rate" every player is basically overpaid by outrageous amounts.

BUT THAT IS REALITY.

"Ridiculous" and "outrageous" is now the going rate. The new normal.

So if the Pirates want to participate at all, they are going to have to pay the "going rate" -- which means they are going to have to, and I know this is a radical concept, SPEND MONEY to acquire decent players.

If they just sit back and decide that EVERY PLAYER is being overvalued and overpaid (which appears to be their strategy) then they are going to basically just sit out the offseason.

While I agree, there are some shades to this particular offseason.  While we do need to buy some pitchers for example, I'd like to see them put some money there; however, that doesn't work if there aren't any pitchers that would make us any better.  And I dont know how many of these ones would help that much. 

I think I'd have given 12MM to Bartolo Colon for a season though.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

What is going on?

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

74464A4A5E6C4F464B4E4146270 wrote: But you have to assume that at least one of your guys just isn't going to work out that well.  You're leaving zero margin for error.  I think Kuhl (for example) should probably start in the rotation but he is no guarantee.  If that happens where are we? 

(On a side note, one thing I'm grateful for about last season--I'm pretty sure that it put toan end to the accusations that guys like Glasnow actually are ready for the big leagues from the start of the year or super two time, but the Pirates are lying about it for some mysterious under-explored reason.)

Yeah, I know in an ideal world the starting four will get 30 starts each.  Chances that happen is very rare.  The 2016 Pirates only had two guys start more than 20 games (21 each to be exact). 

Not many teams have three solid starters, yet four.  The Pirates have young guys who can be average to fill in for injuries and the fifth spot.  I am not saying I don't want two starters, but one is needed for sure.

Williams, Brault, Hutchison are three guys who will battle for that fifth spot.  Nicasio is around to spot start if he is stretched out.  Then there is Glasnow ready to be called up at the super 2 deadline.

Cole, Taillon, Kulh, New Starter, Hutchison, Williams, Brault, and Glasnow is a good start.  Eight players with some exposure.  Then there will always be some others guys brought in given a chance or a minor leaguer who gets a chance too. 

That is at least my thinking.  If two starters happen, great.  But they better get one for sure.