MLB Trade Rumors -Watson to Seattle?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

3F343C3035342F6A6C1B223A3334347538345B0 wrote: They have been spending money, so it is not typical.  Almost every player was extended and didn't have to be.  Marte, McCutchen, Polanco, Harrison, and Cervelli.  Kang is signed.  Freese was just signed.  Mercer is the only regular besides Bell who wasn't extended.

So, they are spending money.  They could have let all those guys walk or dealt them.
Sure they spend money. All teams do. But they still do so among the 5 or 6 least spending teams in MLB. They signed those players to team friendly contracts, which is great. Until last year they had a competitive team and they want to remain so. They aren't going to let everyone walk and replace them with minimum salaried rookies. They would certainly lose their fan base that way. So when you say "they are spending money" it is in the sense that they assembled a competitive team on a minimal payroll (which, again, is great) but they don't appear to want to increase that minimalist payroll (by MLB standards) to take the team up another notch by improving the pitching. So the issue of spending does indeed appear to be a problem hindering the improvement of the team.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I look at it that they have so many players signed that there isn't a lot of positions of need. Yeah, they need a starter and bullpen. But I still don't want them to over spend like crazy so that contract is a bad one if a few years (of course, if they win the WS, I wouldn't care).

The payroll will be low because there isn't a lot of needs. They did a great job in signing guys. They did go out and sign two pitchers recently in Burnett and Liriano. They need to do that again.

It was a young team, the young guys were locked up. Of course the payroll will be low. Yes, they need to add a few players and they have been doing that every year (2016 was the first year they didn't pan out). But to say they aren't spending is kind of false as they already spent the money.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

7F525F4E49584F0F0C3D0 wrote: They have been spending money, so it is not typical.  Almost every player was extended and didn't have to be.  Marte, McCutchen, Polanco, Harrison, and Cervelli.  Kang is signed.  Freese was just signed.  Mercer is the only regular besides Bell who wasn't extended.

So, they are spending money.  They could have let all those guys walk or dealt them.
Sure they spend money. All teams do. But they still do so among the 5 or 6 least spending teams in MLB. They signed those players to team friendly contracts, which is great. Until last year they had a competitive team and they want to remain so. They aren't going to let everyone walk and replace them with minimum salaried rookies. They would certainly lose their fan base that way. So when you say "they are spending money" it is in the sense that they assembled a competitive team on a minimal payroll (which, again, is great) but they don't appear to want to increase that minimalist payroll (by MLB standards) to take the team up another notch by improving the pitching. So the issue of spending does indeed appear to be a problem hindering the improvement of the team. 

Ditto!
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

767D75797C7D662325526B737A7D7D3C717D120 wrote: I look at it that they have so many players signed that there isn't a lot of positions of need.  Yeah, they need a starter and bullpen.  But I still don't want them to over spend like crazy so that contract is a bad one if a few years (of course, if they win the WS, I wouldn't care).

The payroll will be low because there isn't a lot of needs.  They did a great job in signing guys.  They did go out and sign two pitchers recently in Burnett and Liriano.  They need to do that again. 

It was a young team, the young guys were locked up.  Of course the payroll will be low.  Yes, they need to add a few players and they have been doing that every year (2016 was the first year they didn't pan out).  But to say they aren't spending is kind of false as they already spent the money.
I don't think you are getting Bobster's point. Every team spends money and most account for increases via arbitration. The Pirates however are ranked near the bottom in payroll yet they are right in the middle of ML teams in revenue. There is absolutely no valid reason for them not to have an average ML payroll. The money is there to pay Nova. Just like it was there to pay Happ. To count on catching lightening in a bottle each year is a recipe for disaster or at best mediocrity
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

694C4F4F5A714C444651230 wrote: I look at it that they have so many players signed that there isn't a lot of positions of need.  Yeah, they need a starter and bullpen.  But I still don't want them to over spend like crazy so that contract is a bad one if a few years (of course, if they win the WS, I wouldn't care).

The payroll will be low because there isn't a lot of needs.  They did a great job in signing guys.  They did go out and sign two pitchers recently in Burnett and Liriano.  They need to do that again. 

It was a young team, the young guys were locked up.  Of course the payroll will be low.  Yes, they need to add a few players and they have been doing that every year (2016 was the first year they didn't pan out).  But to say they aren't spending is kind of false as they already spent the money.
I don't think you are getting Bobster's point. Every team spends money and most account for increases via arbitration.  The Pirates however are ranked near the bottom in payroll yet they are right in the middle of ML teams in revenue. There is absolutely no valid reason for them not to have an average ML payroll. The money is there to pay Nova. Just like it was there to pay Happ.  To count on catching lightening in a bottle each year is a recipe for disaster or at best mediocrity

I agree, but I'm not as sure as you that Nova is a sure thing.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

5D6F63637745666F6267686F0E0 wrote: I look at it that they have so many players signed that there isn't a lot of positions of need.  Yeah, they need a starter and bullpen.  But I still don't want them to over spend like crazy so that contract is a bad one if a few years (of course, if they win the WS, I wouldn't care).

I don't think you are getting Bobster's point. Every team spends money and most account for increases via arbitration.  The Pirates however are ranked near the bottom in payroll yet they are right in the middle of ML teams in revenue. There is absolutely no valid reason for them not to have an average ML payroll. The money is there to pay Nova. Just like it was there to pay Happ.  To count on catching lightening in a bottle each year is a recipe for disaster or at best mediocrity

And Happ wasn't a sure thing either.

Yes, they need more players. But they still need to be smart. There are only a few $100 million contracts that have panned out in baseball. Teams who miss on those are done for a while.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

073539392D1F3C35383D3235540 wrote: I look at it that they have so many players signed that there isn't a lot of positions of need.  Yeah, they need a starter and bullpen.  But I still don't want them to over spend like crazy so that contract is a bad one if a few years (of course, if they win the WS, I wouldn't care).

I don't think that Nova is a sure thing. But I also don't want to see a repeat of Happ who goes on to win 20 games for Toronto. Fact is; either the Bucs are going to have to increase player payroll to average ML standards or resign themselves to getting lucky in reclamation projects and hitting a HR with the majority of their draft picks. Can they consistently do the latter 2? I think the odds are against them.
LumberCo

Post by LumberCo »

great, another off season "freeing up money" that is never used to make the team better. starting to lose faith in the whole BS approach to running a team.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

0138202F283F0E224D0 wrote: great, another off season "freeing up money" that is never used to make the team better.  starting to lose faith in the whole BS approach to running a team. 

I will admit I can see no other strategy if payroll has reached the team's limit. All you can do is shuffle around the payroll you have and hope to get lucky.

I'm particularly concerned about the state of the farm system and whether the Bucs can in fact keep a pipeline of cheap talent coming up to the big league club. Seems that there will always be gaps and the seemingly lack of effort in international market the past couple of years (other than Kang which was a successful gamble) can't help.

I need to quit posting today and start thinking happy thoughts.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

from MLB Trade rumors chat:

More likely to become a Mariner: Brett Cecil or Tony Watson?

Jason Martinez

4:53 I'll go with Cecil, although it does make sense for the Bucs to trade Watson. I'm starting to get the feeling that they'll be selling off some talent this offseason.